What do you focus on when doing this spread?

page of wands

I wanted to do a reading for myself, but I ended up getting very confused about what I should be focusing as I was shuffling the cards. If you were doing this spread for yourself, what would you be focusing on? (I didn't make this spread myself.)

This is the free book where I found the spread: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...6684e3744ebf0/1450829340579/DEARSTARSEEDS.pdf
It's by the people who made The Starchild deck.

Higher Self
1. What sacred knowledge of awakenings should I be expecting soon?
2. What desires or outlets should I be exploring?
3. What do my guides want me to know at this time?
4. How can I nurture my connection with spirit?

Shadow Self
1. What past influences (internal or external) are still exerting pressure on me?
2. What karmic patterns or lessons do I keep repeating?
3. Where is my shadow presenting itself the most in my life?
4. How can I learn to release my fears?

Or should I just ask each question one at a time while shuffling cards?

Maybe this spread is too scattered to get correct answers?

toadwytch

I wouldn't overthink it. If you try too hard to hold some sort of keystone idea in your head, it just gives you a migraine :) I think lightly about why I'm asking or what insight I'm hoping to gain, but there's no specific thing I try to hold in my mind. It's more important to me that I focus on the way the deck feels in my hands, on shuffling the deck with slow, even strokes and listen to the quiet sound of the card stock sliding against itself. It should feel very peaceful and meditative; if you think too hard it becomes a struggle to do it 'just right'.

pinkcrow

What a great spread! Can't wait to try it. Personally I would focus on "truth and guidance" as a general way of meditating while shuffling.

SunChariot

I wanted to do a reading for myself, but I ended up getting very confused about what I should be focusing as I was shuffling the cards. If you were doing this spread for yourself, what would you be focusing on? (I didn't make this spread myself.)

Higher Self
1. What sacred knowledge of awakenings should I be expecting soon?
2. What desires or outlets should I be exploring?
3. What do my guides want me to know at this time?
4. How can I nurture my connection with spirit?

Shadow Self
1. What past influences (internal or external) are still exerting pressure on me?
2. What karmic patterns or lessons do I keep repeating?
3. Where is my shadow presenting itself the most in my life?
4. How can I learn to release my fears?

Or should I just ask each question one at a time while shuffling cards?

Maybe this spread is too scattered to get correct answers?

Personally, I would do it in 2 parts. That is what would make sense to me and be easiest. I would first do the part on the Higher Self. And then when it was completed I would go on to do the Shadow Self part.

Other than that in each part, I would just read the positions to myself a few times and ask the cards to bring up the right cards in the right places and go.

BTW, me too I think it's a great spread, I will likely try it soon too. With my newest deck once it arrives!
Thanks for sharing it.

Babs

page of wands

I wouldn't overthink it. If you try too hard to hold some sort of keystone idea in your head, it just gives you a migraine :) I think lightly about why I'm asking or what insight I'm hoping to gain, but there's no specific thing I try to hold in my mind. It's more important to me that I focus on the way the deck feels in my hands, on shuffling the deck with slow, even strokes and listen to the quiet sound of the card stock sliding against itself. It should feel very peaceful and meditative; if you think too hard it becomes a struggle to do it 'just right'.

This is really beautiful! I'm starting to notice the quiet voice inside of me that is telling me to stop shuffling and draw a card.

When I first did this, I just thought about higher self/shadow self in general. I didn't think hard, but when I tried to analyze the results I got, I had a lot of trouble. I saved it to look at later. I thought maybe I did something wrong.

page of wands

Personally, I would do it in 2 parts. That is what would make sense to me and be easiest. I would first do the part on the Higher Self. And then when it was completed I would go on to do the Shadow Self part.

Other than that in each part, I would just read the positions to myself a few times and ask the cards to bring up the right cards in the right places and go.

BTW, me too I think it's a great spread, I will likely try it soon too. With my newest deck once it arrives!
Thanks for sharing it.

Babs

I'll try doing it this way. I thought it was good too, that's why I wanted to ask you guy how I could do it. I need to go back and analyze the answers I initially got before I do it over.

SunChariot

I'll try doing it this way. I thought it was good too, that's why I wanted to ask you guy how I could do it. I need to go back and analyze the answers I initially got before I do it over.

Have fun with it. Thanks for sharing. :heart:

Babs

headincloud

Our intention to do the spread is enough to direct the cards, it's helpful though to concentrate and clarify your thoughts in prep for a reading as it puts you in the right mind frame for reading.

page of wands

Our intention to do the spread is enough to direct the cards, it's helpful though to concentrate and clarify your thoughts in prep for a reading as it puts you in the right mind frame for reading.

What I did (which might have been ridiculous) was I said "I'm doing the spread that was on my computer screen", and whoever was helping me could have a look and pick out the cards accordingly. I also focused on higher self and shadow self.

Maybe I'll redo it, and focus on higher self, and then shadow self. I'll see if those cards make more sense to me. I won't throw out the first spread though, just in case it was right on, but I was being too dense to "get it".