Sabian Symbols Study Group: Aries Degree 18 - #18

tink27

purple_scorp said:
And, that photo reminds me of a trip I took back in the 80s to South Molle Island (off coast Queensland). We went for a day trip out to Hamilton and Hayman Islands and I remember sitting under a tree (not in a hammock) sipping a beautiful banana/rum cocktail called a Banshee. When I look at the photo, I can picture myself there.

with love
purple_scorp

Hmm, I can picture you there too purple_scorp and although there is no hammock, I feel myself gently swaying.

As we speak of this symbol, this weekend in Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving. A time of grateful reflection and a time of being with family.

The tranquility here, will be replaced for a time with ecstatic ripples of human togetherness which will reach a crescendo and then an all abiding peace. It is here I will enjoy the sleepy motion of this hammock, my nerves calmed by the gentle water sounds, that I will find the stillness within and not only personally give thanks but look at restructuring and designing my inner and outer framwork.

Blessings,

tink :love:

tink27

Ah! I see something different here after posting in Aries 17. Our minds are meant to operate on the creative, energy currents of living information. The hammock could be a shift in our attitudes about information itself.

The hammock = spiritual and perceptual mobility?!?!?!

mooncat2

:) Aaaah..........more holiday thoughts. Lovely image, purple_ scorp. Haven't ever lain in a hammock but minus a few worries about how I'd actually get in and out :D I imagine it would be very pleasant.
first posted by tink 27
I just had an interesting thought…..Aries rules the head and brain……and Arians really needs to control the mind which is our director of conscious energy. People I know that are Arians, are constantly struggling with the mind and what goes on between their thoughts. One smart friend of mine, who’s mind is so quick, has a stutter when his thoughts are streaming ahead of his mouth!
Yes, indeed. My mother and brother are both Aries.........they like to be doing and they like be in control of the doing..........and thinking. They are very poor listeners.........you can see them preparing their next remark while you're speaking ........not even really interested in what you're saying. No offence, Aries people :)......my perceptions are based only on two family members.

Lying in a hammock.......freeing your mind from conscious thought one becomes receptive on another level. Feeling the wind on your skin, hearing the sound of the sea, the rustle of the leaves, birds calling........a natural energy that restores and heals without any conscious effort.

Dane Rudhyar stresses the idea of "rhythmic living" for this symbol. While being active, it is important to balance this activity with rest, both in actuality and symbolically in our minds. When we are so-o-o busy and pushing, pushing to get ahead, we need the blance of rest, relaxation and appreciation or we risk burnout or being out of control. I think this symbols tells us it is important to schedule time out to play and rest and to listen to our body's need to relax.
Balance is everything...........I definitely don't agree with GA's suggestion that the symbol could mean rest after achieving goals. Seems to me that's a major part of the problem.........people are so busy chasing their goals they don't take time out to relax. Nor do I feel it should be months of hard work followed by a brief holiday. I agree it's important to schedule time out to play and rest.............as an integral part of daily life.

Equally important is what one does with that time............filling your leisure time with frenetic activity is as bad as continual work.
This is quiet time............being alone.............from meditating, walking in nature or knitting in front of the fire .........freeing the mind so it can listen and receive ...
first posted by tink27
Our minds are meant to operate on the creative, energy currents of living information. The hammock could be a shift in our attitudes about information itself.
The hammock = spiritual and perceptual mobility?!?!?!
Not sure but I think that's what you're saying here?
Thinking of attitudes ...the way relaxing or 'being' is often perceived as......wasting time.........sitting around doing nothing.........I hear my mother's voice loud and clear "Why don't you go and do something useful" :D:

Doodling, I drew the simplest form of this symbol which looked very like an H.............H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, its energy most powerful on the mental and material planes. The potential for raising consciousness lies in the horizontal crossbar.
One can also see the 'rhythmic living' in the flow of energy around the 8.

:love:

Attachments

• SC - Receptivity.JPG
    SC - Receptivity.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 104

tink27

Ohh my gosh mooncat2 your images evoke very deep emotions!

mooncat2 said:
Lying in a hammock.......freeing your mind from conscious thought one becomes receptive on another level. Feeling the wind on your skin, hearing the sound of the sea, the rustle of the leaves, birds calling........a natural energy that restores and heals without any conscious effort.

I've never been in a hammock myself but with your quote and image I feel not only the heightened ecstasy of hope in the dawning of a new day but also a feeling of being passionately empowered by retreating into my inner world....a world of dreams, imagination and spiritual awareness.

The turtle crossing the stream not only grounds us but offers us stability and 'steady persistence' in our search.

Animal Magick
Perseverance has the turtle
As he patiently travels along.
In his slowness he misses nothing,
For he hears Mother Earth's song.
Patience, old wisdom, I'll learn from you,
Deep forest secrets and Earth magick true.

mooncat2

first posted by tink27
Animal Magick
Perseverance has the turtle
As he patiently travels along.
In his slowness he misses nothing,
For he hears Mother Earth's song.
Patience, old wisdom, I'll learn from you,
Deep forest secrets and Earth magick true.

I love these ! :)

Remembered I'd included a turtle on Aries 4 as well..............interesting that from a totally different direction I arrived at the same place GA did.

huredriel

After just reading through Aries 18 yesterday, when I got home I read the excerpt in *Affirmations for the Inner Child* for Feb 17, and thought it was perfect for this symbol!

February 17 - Reflection

I have the courage to slow down

I need to take time alone just to be still and to reflect on life. In the midst of the pain in my childhood home, taking time to think was the last thing I wanted to do. I sought to push away the hurtful realities of my family life by being involved in a whirl of activity.

Now as an adult, my frenetic activity chokes life out of my spirit. As I become mentally and physically exhausted, I know that my survival depends on learning to slow down. So today I will make a conscious effort. I will walk, not run. I will say no to friends and co-workers who want me to do just "one more thing".

As I decrease my hectic pace, I notice old feelings surface that need to be felt. I will give my attention to one emotion at a time, asking what it is there to tell me. I will have the courage to slow down and feel.

mooncat2

:) That certainly is a perfect affirmation for this symbol.

There always seems to be something we 'should, must, ought to, have to" do...............does take some courage to put it all aside and just 'be' for a while.

huredriel

From wikipedia:

Rumination may mean calm, lengthy consideration, but can have several meanings, which need to be addressed separately

Cud chewing of Cows and other Ruminants
Negative cyclic thinking, persistent and recurrent worrying or brooding; see Clinical depression, Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Rumination (eating disorder)
The counting and recounting of large numbers.

I can definitely see how this relates to the title, ........ no rushing, waiting ............ careful contemplation :)

huredriel

So, my thoughts on this symbol ....... hmmm reading back I think these are more ramblings ;)

My first thought was of an image of these trees ...... side by side ......... are they the karmic spinsters perhaps? The hammock the silence between them ......... is this what they were trying to create? A bridge?

Aries 18 - Fire & Moon, Magician and Strength ....... and here I see Mooncat's number 8 ........ also in the infinity sign that is often seen in Strength's imagery. Fiery imagination, emotions ......... see-saws of emotion? Yet I also think of the 1 being a person, the 8 being a solid healing aspect ........ healing the self, ........ nope, I actually want to put *healing the soul* here instead.

Also, when we do we need Strength the most? When we walk through dark & trying times (the Moon?) ....... and how do we find this strength? We dig deep ....... and bring it out from within the self ........ which makes me want to ask, what does the hammock give to you?

A strong support system, one which beckons, sways enticingly in the breeze...... peace, calm .......*down time*.

Yet hammocks are not actually still ......... they sway. When you clamber into them, you have to get your balance right or else you will fall out. Likewise, the hammock also needs to be taut enough between the trees so that you don't just end up sinking and ending up on the ground, on your backside :D

I can definitely see GA's 4 wands imagery here and I also get a kinda image in my mind like the photo that PS has posted. It makes me think of the Caribbean ....... which is also fitting I feel ........ hammocks, for when time slows down ........ to let go of the frenetic pace of life .......... and the Caribbean time ........ where it goes at a different pace ..... you'll get there when you get there ...... even if at a *snail's pace*. Remembering it's the journey that counts.

A sense of freedom, holidays .... time away from work, from responsibilities ...... time to play to relax, to have fun, to find the joy in small actions ...... to be close to the sea, to be in nature .........

A yearning ..... we all look forward to our holidays every year ....... but what do we do in the meantime? This shouldn't be a *once a year* kinda thing surely?

Meditation, a calm place, a haven ......... sanctuary.

Yet the hammock is empty, there isn't anyone here relaxing, resting, listening ........ what is stopping us? Are we leaving it to become dry, dustry, all packed up ...... or do we want to unfurl it, let the wind blow through our senses, wake us up while letting us sleep?

Again, *silence is golden* echoes in my head ......... a pot of gold, the end of the rainbow, to search inside and seek that which is yearned for?

If the spinsters are the trees, then *lovely* to me denotes gentle & feminine, supporting, bending where needed ........... the hammock is the karmic silence ..... where the intuitive mind rests? Could this also be part of the inner void, the centre of knowing that rests within each of us - Brahma's cave (if I remember rightly)?

Hammocks are curved ....... a cradle? To be rocked to sleep? To be supported, to be cradled, to be nurtured. The mother's womb? Being embraced or embracing the connection to Mother Earth .......... thinking this, I can just picture being there ........ laying down, chilled out, looking out to sea .......... and then seeing seals and dolphins emerge from the blue/green water.

This makes me ask myself ........ where is your empty hammock ........ how are you using it? What stops you from dusting it off, & clambering in?

huredriel

Mooncat2 I love that picture ....... it feels so calming and at one with nature ..... yet when I look at her upside down it literally makes me throat clench and/or stomach go a bit, bizarre huh! There's something in that, that seems to unsettle me ...... shall have to keep looking at it and find out why.

You know, this kinda makes me think of an Aries 1 bubble being suspended in Hanged Man mode ....... hmmmm