"high" magick vs "low" magick

Always Wondering

Thanks for this recommendation, i am reading it right now and it is awesome! I love his writing style! It seems that he advances the theses that there is no high and low magic, but high and low... magician, right? (I am at page 20 right now, that's what i understood so far.)

You're welcome.
Yes, these are the impressions I remember and one of the reasons I enjoyed the book.

Aeon418 said:
Unless waking up in a puddle of your own vomit counts as a psychedelic experience. "Wow, look at all those trippy colours dude".

:laugh:

Oh, but it is soooo humbling.

AW

moderndayruth

At occult underground http://www.occult-underground.com/regardie.html there are free ebooks by Israel Regardie*, i think that his "Art and Meaning of Magic " might be particularly relevant for the topic of this thread.
(I think so, i just scanned first couple of pages, must get some sleep! :D )

from wiki: Regardie is a principal reliable source for much of what is known about the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. His writings and the students he taught or influenced provide much of the foundation for modern Western occultism. In addition to preserving the knowledge, Regardie also preserved a valid branch of the initiatory lineage of the Golden Dawn in America...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Regardie

Aeon418

I did some reading online meanwhile and honestly, the various ways of differentiating high and low magic don't really make sense to me.
Join the club. :D

As far as I'm concerned the whole high/low thing is a creation of muddle headed New Age/Wiccan writers trying to link their very modern "old craft" to primative folk magic practices. Pour into the mix a hell broth of revisionist history, radical feminism, and a pinch of environmental issues and you've got ..... quite a mess.

Always Wondering

At occult underground http://www.occult-underground.com/regardie.html there are free ebooks by Israel Regardie*, i think that his "Art and Meaning of Magic " might be particularly relevant for the topic of this thread.
(I think so, i just scanned first couple of pages, must get some sleep! :D )

from wiki: Regardie is a principal reliable source for much of what is known about the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. His writings and the students he taught or influenced provide much of the foundation for modern Western occultism. In addition to preserving the knowledge, Regardie also preserved a valid branch of the initiatory lineage of the Golden Dawn in America...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Regardie

I really like Regardie, but I can't figure out why? Sometimes he puts me off, but it is worth it. He is a bit of an enigma to me.
Interesting fellow.

AW

Always Wondering

Join the club. :D

As far as I'm concerned the whole high/low thing is a creation of muddle headed New Age/Wiccan writers trying to link their very modern "old craft" to primative folk magic practices. Pour into the mix a hell broth of revisionist history, radical feminism, and a pinch of environmental issues and you've got ..... quite a mess.

High, low, black, white, the more I read, the more they a seem just names people throw at each other when they can't relate.

I am so confused I wouldn't know how to insult somebody. :laugh:

AW

nicky

High, low, black, white, the more I read, the more they a seem just names people throw at each other when they can't relate.

I am so confused I wouldn't know how to insult somebody. :laugh:

AW

LOL well that alone makes it compelling to learn more !

Aeon418

I really like Regardie, but I can't figure out why? Sometimes he puts me off, but it is worth it. He is a bit of an enigma to me.
Interesting fellow.
He's great bedtime reading. Half a page is usually enough to knock me out for the full 8 hours. :laugh:

moderndayruth

He's great bedtime reading. Half a page is usually enough to knock me out for the full 8 hours. :laugh:

Good! At least i'll be saving on sleeping pills! (Seriously, i am taking magnolia extract, it is expensive! :rolleyes:

Here is an older post by ravenest with some breaktaking pictures:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=874758&postcount=34

Now, how can we envoke ravenest in the thread here? })

I went once again through the stuff needed for Goetica - well its not that complicated as it seemed!
Who would be up to have an online study group here (if anyone that is)? :D

ravenest

Poof! here I appear
the triangle you neglected
so I can draw near
although often rejected.

HI. MDR. I seem to remember another thread about this high low stuff somewhere here? I think I posted a bit in that.

One way of looking at it: it doesnt really matter what you do but is it for a 'high purpose' or a 'low' one. According to one's own judgement iof course ;).

Ever heard the saying. "Thats a low act." Sorta like that. Magic/k is like anything else, some things will bring you down, others lift you up whether its a simple 'folk' rite or a sumptious techno extravaganza.

moderndayruth

Poof! here I appear
the triangle you neglected
so I can draw near
although often rejected.
Omg!
How cool is that?! :thumbsup: :D

HI. MDR. I seem to remember another thread about this high low stuff somewhere here? I think I posted a bit in that.
I am in the process of re-reading the older posts here - i'll probably come across it!
I found these pictures of yours from five years ago - and i was really impressed!
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=61180&highlight=Goetia&page=4
I can feel ... well, stuff from merely looking at those pictures! Really powerful!

One way of looking at it: it doesnt really matter what you do but is it for a 'high purpose' or a 'low' one. According to one's own judgement iof course ;).
That's a tricky one. :)

Ever heard the saying. "Thats a low act." Sorta like that. Magic/k is like anything else, some things will bring you down, others lift you up whether its a simple 'folk' rite or a sumptious techno extravaganza.
Ok, this is quite some food for though, i need to mull over it more!
Thank you ravenest! :heart: