Nubs on sage leaves?

Snowhunter

I'm making a tincture of cedar tips, white sage, and a couple of palo santo shavings (to be diluted with water eventually and used as a smudge spray). What are those little nubs on the white sage leaves?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429284284.919285.jpg

La Hierbera

It's difficult to know for sure from this picture, but they look like leaf galls or externally laid insect eggs to me. Leaf galls are produced when certain insect species lay eggs in a leaf, and when they hatch, the leaf responds to the irritation by producing these galls, which become protective homes for the hatchlings until the are mature enough to leave this temporary home. I personally do not harvest plants with galls or other signs of animal life, as I do not wish to unnecessarily take a life, but it won't affect the quality of your product, if that is your concern. It is near impossible to harvest insect free plants, as many of them are so tiny that we cannot see them. Green Blessings

Snowhunter

Thank you! I was hoping they weren't eggs :( I'm guessing they were already dead before I used the leaves since I bought dried white sage.

La Hierbera

They may or may not have been alive. A few years ago, when I harvested some Red Clover, I was sooooo mindful of insects on the blossoms, yet several months after they had been dried, dozens of 'invisible' eggs hatched and I had a jar full of little ones in the middle of winter! ugh :( I have also had this happen with dried spices, that had been powdered! I don't think we can escape it. That sounds like a lovely smudge blend btw ;)