Knight of Cups -- weird meaning?

oceana15

Whenever the Knight of Cups shows up in my readings, I can't help but think "tempting but sketchy offer" and "be cautious about what you're being offered." When I first learned the cards, I read somewhere that the Knight of Cups is sort of the "prince charming" card, and now I associate him with a man who offers you the world but can't really commit, or who is in love with the idea of love but terrified of a real relationship. Does this resonate with anyone else? How do other people interpret this card? And what are the positive aspects of the Knight of Cups?? (I can't seem to think of any! Maybe I'm associating him too much with a particular ex-boyfriend, ha...)

DarkElectric

I've seen the "sketchy" aspect of the Knight of Cups, definitely. The Knight of Cups sometimes suggests to me "In love with love", or "Loves with passionate intensity.....right now." This knight can be the person who woos ya til' ya swoon, only to flake out later; When you ask "Hey, you said this was real, I thought it was REAL.." this knight will be the one most likely to reply "Yeah, it was real. At the time. That was then, this is now."

I've also found the Knight of Cups to be someone who is decidedly sincere, exceptionally passionate, and romatic beyond one's wildest dreams. This knight also can get hurt easily. Knight of Cups is an emotional knight, and these emotions can be expressed in myriad ways. They might express hurt with pleading, tears, anger, silence, pouting, revenge. Sometimes the Knight of Cups will express as a manipulator, someone who will stop at nothing to get what he/she wants from what they perceive as love. The rest of the spread can shed a little more light on how this knight is going to be defined.

spookyboo22

Whenever the Knight of Cups shows up in my readings, I can't help but think "tempting but sketchy offer" and "be cautious about what you're being offered." When I first learned the cards, I read somewhere that the Knight of Cups is sort of the "prince charming" card, and now I associate him with a man who offers you the world but can't really commit, or who is in love with the idea of love but terrified of a real relationship. Does this resonate with anyone else? How do other people interpret this card? And what are the positive aspects of the Knight of Cups?? (I can't seem to think of any! Maybe I'm associating him too much with a particular ex-boyfriend, ha...)

Hi

I've been the Knight of cups and I'm a woman lol

He means well at the time I think.

If it doesn't work out for him he's on to the next one soon because he's questing for romance x

Shardz

Depending on which deck you are using, and the relative system of astrological associations you subscribe to, interpretations can vary greatly, especially regarding the Court cards that so many people have differing opinions.

The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn attributed the Knight of Cups to Pisces, which is a complex sign of self-delusion, romance and an inner realm of fantasy that can conflict with reality and feasibility at times. I would say your conclusions are accurate regarding this card, though some of what you say seems to point to Four of Cups, as well.

I believe the Knight of Cups probably has the best intentions in mind, though with the lack of conviction needed to follow through with things due to an inherent inability to solidly commit to a cause from a lapse of reality. One could also attribute this characteristic to the mutable aspect of Pisces, which is an easy going state of mind that could go one way or another, versus the initiative cardinal signs and the committed fixed signs.

Another system of astrological attributes, including Thoth and the Waite decks, have assigned Scorpio to the Knight of Cups, which opens a whole other confusing can of worms. As Scorpio can be committed almost to the point of obsession, it's difficult for me to subscribe to that link with this card. Something would have to go horribly haywire like treachery or deceit for the Knight of Cups to lose sight and interest of his target. Thus, I am going with the Pisces association, but your mileage may vary.

Just my two cents here, but I think you have it right. Though, I do believe that the Knight has integrity and probably wishes for a solid commitment, lack of focus and conviction strays him from the path long term.

Absynthe

Not really, no. I've had plenty of flakey BF's but don't recall the Knight Of Cups as ever appearing in any of those situations. To me the Knight Of Cups is someone developing emotional connection. They're not masters of it yet, but they're a step up from the page of cups which is to me would indicate someone lacking emotional maturity completely.

It's all a matter of what you could term a 'real relationship' really. For many people that means being marriage minded in which case I doubt any suit except the pentacles is really going to do it in that way.

I see a lot of women particularly getting all excited about Kings Of Wands. Just about all my lovers have been Kings Of Wands and I would rather stick myself in the eye with a red hot poker than go back there again. It's just not my style of relationship at all. YMMV, on that one.
Likewise a lot of people aren't keen on a cups styled relationship because it falls short on essential aspects of life for them. Horses for courses.

I don't believe the courts show terrible people so much as showing us what that person's intent or focus is. If we don't like it, then that's really on us to go there or not. There's no Prince Charming card in the deck since everyone has their own idea on what Prince Charming would be to them.

oceana15

Though, I do believe that the Knight has integrity and probably wishes for a solid commitment, lack of focus and conviction strays him from the path long term.

This comment was really helpful -- it allowed me to see the Knight in a more positive light. Viewed from this perspective, it's not that he purposefully (or maliciously) offers you the world and then disappears, but that he very much WANTS things to work out romantically and is probably confused/surprised when he starts losing interest? This makes him way more three-dimensional and complex, which I like!

Grizabella

The Knight of Cups is very romantic and loving, but can be pretty clingy too. If his love interest happens to like clingy, then they're in luck and can be the "happily ever after" couple. However, if he happens to get involved with a partner who doesn't like to be clung to, problems develop. Then things can go south pretty quickly.

A Knight of Cups can grow into a very loving and wonderful King of Cups if given the chance, though.

mary_leo

Not really, no. I've had plenty of flakey BF's but don't recall the Knight Of Cups as ever appearing in any of those situations. To me the Knight Of Cups is someone developing emotional connection. They're not masters of it yet, but they're a step up from the page of cups which is to me would indicate someone lacking emotional maturity completely.

It's all a matter of what you could term a 'real relationship' really. For many people that means being marriage minded in which case I doubt any suit except the pentacles is really going to do it in that way.

I see a lot of women particularly getting all excited about Kings Of Wands. Just about all my lovers have been Kings Of Wands and I would rather stick myself in the eye with a red hot poker than go back there again. It's just not my style of relationship at all. YMMV, on that one.
Likewise a lot of people aren't keen on a cups styled relationship because it falls short on essential aspects of life for them. Horses for courses.

I don't believe the courts show terrible people so much as showing us what that person's intent or focus is. If we don't like it, then that's really on us to go there or not. There's no Prince Charming card in the deck since everyone has their own idea on what Prince Charming would be to them.
I agree with you completely, it is much more a matter of lacking maturity and I believe they mean well. I also think that the knight of cups shows the shifting of feelings, when the person realizes he feels infatuated but not ready to commit.

Enviado de meu MotoG3-TE usando Tapatalk

oceana15

Grizabella, thanks for pointing out the "clinginess" factor, which is something I hadn't considered before but it makes perfect sense.

mary_leo, your perspective that the Knight of Cups means well but he just lacks maturity is also helping me to see him in a different light.

Thanks to everyone who talked me through this -- very helpful! It has opened up the way I read this card.