The Housewives Tarot: The Fool (0)

Disa

As far as her floating above the house, she is possibly rising above the material things that were provided to her. Upward and onward, leaving all that behind. Maybe being a housewife isn't what she thought it would be, she's off to find independence, and perhaps a job :)

Disa

Keirquen

I have to say that this Fool is a huge and very welcome contrast to the traditional image of the Fool as a adolescent youth--male--just starting the journey toward experience and wisdom.

I feel like one of the things this Fool is telling us is that the journey could start anytime. It's never too late to get a fresh start--just because you're not a teenage boy, even if you're a muddled disorganized housewife with two kids expecting dinner--you can still begin a spiritual or metaphysical expedition.

LizA

I just got this deck and LOVE IT so much.

I agree - we are turfing out the old/surplus stuff, making way for the new. perhaps it's even getting rid of materialistic items and heading down a spiritual pathway (by looking at what is being thrown away).

LizA

l also see gathering as much as you can, including surplus stock to make your journey. It's almost a game and perhaps you are not putting the necessary thought into it and being rather careless in your movement.

FallynRaiyn

it seems to me that maybe that's her parents house, and she's out on her own for the first time, trying to make it all work, etc.

she reminds me of me also, except i'm not even together enough to have all these things in my purse in the first place. leaving her wedding ring behind....that's an interesting observation too.

Nemia

I see a lot of humour in this deck, also in this card. Like the start of some comedy from the 50s, with a young woman who wants to become the perfect housewife but she doesn't know how to do it. She's jumping high, but instead of being within the house (where her place should be), she's outside, showing off her new status. She still sees her marriage and her status as newly wedded as a game, not as a task. She doesn't know how difficult it can and will be.

I can actually read that whole wonderful decks as scenes from that movie. This chaotic young housewife, leaving behind her a trail of stuff, has no idea what her actual challenge is...

And it's a great image for a Fool. Naive, enthusiastic, clueless but full of good will which will in the end help her become what she wants to become. Not the straigth way, no, but the way of wisdom.

I love this deck! It's great fun. And as child of the early 60s, child of a marriage between an older, very conservative male and a much younger mother, the cultural watershed of the late 60s was played out in our house (my parents divorced in the 70s). My father insisted on my mother dressing "properly", her hair had to be in a bun, she was no longer allowed to wear youthful clothes.

Actually, this card reminds me of the stories my mother tells about her time as new housewife. Her own mother was of course a perfect housewife but had not taught her to cook - nobody stepped into my grandmother's kitchen! So my mother was out on her own with a disapproving husband who expected to be fed because that's what women are for.

My mother had as wedding present THE German cookbook for generations, Dr Oetker. With pictures! She cooked and put the open cookbook next to the meal so my father could recognize what she had served him.

Over time, her cooking improved ;-)

So this deck IMO takes the tarot archetypes into this world where a housewife demands of herself, where a family and society expect from a housewife: smooth domestic perfection inside, and a projection of this perfection to the outside (her peers). And all the tarot challenges happen to make it difficult to reach that pinnacle.

It's a tarot deck and a comedy :)