Mary El Tarot - Nine of Wands

Bat Chicken

http://www.mary-el.com/wands2.html

This card seems to have all of the fiery side of Strength. The Tiger is unleashed, woman manipulates flames in her hands… “Tyger, Tyger, burning bright”. Passions seems to be on the limits of control and yet there is no fear. There is tremendous energy here waiting to be harnessed into something. Oranges, reds and yellows dominate the card – creativity, connection and sense of self – of one’s own creative power - are the sources of energy here. What will you make?

There is an underlying darkness to this card, however. As the Blake poem would suggest, Creation is more that fluffy bunnies. This power is neutral. Will you make it for good or evil?

Debra

I see the sun, always there behind the dark.

a_shikhs

Since the traditional 9 of wands means guarding something, I would say here, the lion is probably guarding the woman with his strong and ferocious energy. Anyone who hurts her has to fight the lion first. He is a good guard and will keep her safe till he has the energy and the power.

This card reminds me of the Indian mythological Goddess Vaishno Devi who went into the cave to meditate for 9 days and made a monkey guard and protect her cave from this evil sage who wanted to hurt her. Also quite a coincidence about the 9s here. :)

cSpaceDiva

In the 9 of Wands I see the fury of an angry beast, raging in the foreground. Poised behind him is a serene woman wearing what appears to be a laurel victor's wreath on her head. The 9 is the height of the fiery passion of the suit of wands and unlike the chaotic and unfocused potential in the ace, she holds the golden flame above the fray, demonstrating that she controls this force and uses it to her advantage.

Reading into the I Ching hexagrams mentioned in the book, one of the lines suggests that if restraints are tolerated, they will eventually imprison you. This tiger bites through the restraints to maintain his freedom.

cSpaceDiva

Since the traditional 9 of wands means guarding something, I would say here, the lion is probably guarding the woman with his strong and ferocious energy.

It could also be the woman guarding the golden fire, ensuring the internal flame is not extinguished.