Question from a newbie ....

Phebe Griffiths

Hello everyone

This may sound like such a silly question so I hope everyone will forgive me but I just wonder how you refer to the Tarot in terms of gender, or don't you think of it in those terms at all?

I just realised today that I always think of the Tarot as 'she' and I think of 'consulting her' when I have an issue or dilemma that I am seeking help and guidance with. Over the years I have come to think of the Tarot as being like a close, female friend, who I can ask about anything, talk about anything and be totally open and honest with.

I wondered today if I was being disrepectful in any way in using 'she/her', and whether it might offend anyone? The reason I ask is that I am thinking of starting a Tarot blog (in the planning stage only at the moment) and have been jotting things down - and for the first time I have seen in 'on paper' as it were how I refer to the Tarot as 'her'.

Any thoughts and observations from members here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Phebe
x

Lilianne

Hello everyone

This may sound like such a silly question so I hope everyone will forgive me but I just wonder how you refer to the Tarot in terms of gender, or don't you think of it in those terms at all?

I just realised today that I always think of the Tarot as 'she' and I think of 'consulting her' when I have an issue or dilemma that I am seeking help and guidance with. Over the years I have come to think of the Tarot as being like a close, female friend, who I can ask about anything, talk about anything and be totally open and honest with.

I wondered today if I was being disrepectful in any way in using 'she/her', and whether it might offend anyone? The reason I ask is that I am thinking of starting a Tarot blog (in the planning stage only at the moment) and have been jotting things down - and for the first time I have seen in 'on paper' as it were how I refer to the Tarot as 'her'.

Any thoughts and observations from members here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Phebe
x

For reading purposes I used to think of it as an 'it' as it was a tool. But now I think of it more as an extension of myself. I think it depends on how you look at it. Unless there's something strangely esoteric that I've missed I don't believe it would be disrespectful.

Good luck with your journey!

Barleywine

"He-she-it" jokes aside, lately I've been thinking of it whimsically as a psychic "can-opener," or maybe a metaphysical "multi-tool" like a Swiss Army Knife. If I were to consider it male and give it a name, I might call it "Xener" after psychologist Karl Zener, the creator of the symbols for the famous "Zener cards" used in mind-reading experiments. And if I were to consider it female, I would most likely call it "Xena" because "she" sometimes fights me and can be a bit of a "princess." (Ha, set you up for that one, didn't I? })) (And for you dialecticians, "Xener" is the New Hampshire pronunciation of "Xena," so it would be a true synthesis and reconciliation of opposites . . . )

Seriously, the operating principle of tarot seems to be "classically" feminine (as opposed to what? "New Age-y" maybe?) One occultist or another (my brother thinks it was Eliphas Levi but I can find no references) called the tarot "the Silver Key to the Mysteries," giving it a Lunar vibe (as distinct from the Solar connotations of the "Gold Key," astrology.) Makes sense to me, since it seems more "astral" than "mental." If I weren't so much of a reformed Mechanist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_philosophy), I would "humanize" my deck as decidedly feminine. As it is, it is just an "it."

karlwb

Pheobe,
Gender always seems to be an issue in life, much less Tarot. As a writer, He/She is always awkward. Writing down divinations to be “gender inclusive” can be a challenge. As with “race”, we cannot deny differences but can digest those differences by viewing them as “equal”.
My guiding spirit(s) is/are most likely of one gender but I don’t neccessarily consider that in my mind when addressing them.
Gender bias will rear it’s ugly head in other areas of tarot such as the Court cards.
Pages and Knights I consider gender neutral, sometimes an individual developing from one to the other. Queens and Kings I find a little more difficult in separating the sexes. However, there is at least one couple I know where the Mrs. runs 90% of their business, down to where she gets on her hands and knees to fix the dishwasher, while the Mr. is worried about “setting the stage”.
Regarding the Queen of Swords for example, in Arthur Rosengarten’s book, Tarot and Psychology, he documented a case where the Queen of Swords would come up in the readings of a man who was deeply grieving from the death of a partner or family member. Rachel Pollack in Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom stated “Representing either sex in character, sorrow nor courage restricted by gender.”
KwB

werewolfmoon

Ask the cards and see what they say, I did that this morning and got some interesting results. Ive posted the findings in the forum.

dancing_moon

Welcome to AT! :)

Personally, I refer to Tarot as 'it' and perceive it much like a domestic android - not alive, but certainly more than just a tool, something which has a potential to give a humanoid vibe without any possibility of ever becoming a living entity.

If I read your blog and saw Tarot referred to as 'her'... well, that certainly raises eyebrows, and while not being exactly offensive, makes you wonder nevertheless. :) Perhaps, adding a permanent background story on your perception of Tarot would help to clear (possible) misunderstandings?..

Best of luck with your blog!

Phebe Griffiths

For reading purposes I used to think of it as an 'it' as it was a tool. But now I think of it more as an extension of myself. I think it depends on how you look at it. Unless there's something strangely esoteric that I've missed I don't believe it would be disrespectful.

Good luck with your journey!

Thanks for your reply Lilianne.

That's interesting. I always used to think of the Tarot as 'it' but somewhere along the line I've slipped into thinking of it as 'her'. Never even realised I was doing it until I read back through my notes yesterday.

I definitely don't think of the Tarot as an extension of myself and find that idea really, really interesting. You've given me some real food for thought there.

For me it's a case of 'I'll go and ask her'. When and how I started thinking of the Tarot as 'female' I have absolutely no idea.

I think it's probably something I'll try and avoid in my writing from now on.

Thanks once again.

Phebe
x

Phebe Griffiths

"As it is, it is just an "it."

Thanks for that. I'm going to try and stick to 'it' in my writing (although in my head I still think of 'her' - no idea when that happened though, as I always used to think 'it).

Most odd lol - but I shall start as I mean to go on, and 'it' it shall be.

Phebe Griffiths

Welcome to AT! :)

Personally, I refer to Tarot as 'it' and perceive it much like a domestic android - not alive, but certainly more than just a tool, something which has a potential to give a humanoid vibe without any possibility of ever becoming a living entity.

If I read your blog and saw Tarot referred to as 'her'... well, that certainly raises eyebrows, and while not being exactly offensive, makes you wonder nevertheless. :) Perhaps, adding a permanent background story on your perception of Tarot would help to clear (possible) misunderstandings?..

Best of luck with your blog!

Thanks for the no nonsense reply - much appreciated.

I've decided that as far as my writing goes it's going to be 'it' right from the getgo. The more I think about it, the more bonkers it sounds to start writing about 'she told me' and 'I asked her' etc.

How I started thinking of the Tarot as 'her' or 'she' I have absolutely no idea, but regardless of what goes on in my head, as far as the written word goes there will be no she or her!

Phebe
x

nisaba

To me, Tarot generally is an it.

Different decks feel more masculine or more feminine to me, and usually that is unrelated to the gender of their creators.