Jungian Spread

midorikyoto

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this question from a course I'm doing:

Which of the Court Cards should not be used as a significator in the Jungian Spread?

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received,

Thanks!

brenmck

Hi, midorikyoto -

I cannot answer your question, but I would sure like to know what the Jungian spread is. Would you mind posting it? Thanks.

brenmck

midorikyoto

Well, I've seen 2 different versions of it. It's based on Jung's theory of archetypes. I'm certainly no Jung expert, so I'm sure there's far better qualified people than me to talk about it! But I'll try.

Version 1: choose a significator. Deal three pairs of cards in a row from right to left. From left to right they represent:

1. animus, father figure
2. anima, mother figure
3. child

Version 2 I found in Cassandra Eason's book called 'Tarot' (Piaktus Guide).
She recommends using either just the Court cards, or the Court cards and major arcana.

1. key / predominant pattern card. Issue that has been influencing you recently.
2. animus - assertive, logical, competitive, masculine side - if a Queen or Page shows here, it is showing difficulties in this area
3. anima - mothering, nurturing, feminine side - Knight or King here suggests difficulties - are you hiding this gentler side?
4. shadow side - that part we don't often let people see, hidden fears, our darker selves
5. inner child - the real you, when free from the expectations / demands of others

Eason gives an example of it concerning a lady who wanted to go away for Xmas, but the rest of the family wanted to have a traditional holiday at home. Quite interesting!

euripides

significators

This is very interesting. I'm still beginning, so I don't know the answer, but since choosing a significator then take that card out of the spread, perhaps you could consider which cards are particularly significant within a spread - so a poor choice as significator - or whose message might be carried by another card - making them a better choice.

Is she implying that you don't choose a significator based on any of the usual methods (sun sign/physical appearance, gender and age)?

I'm interested in Jungian ideas relating to Tarot... another path to follow.

best
Euri

midorikyoto

Jungian Significator

Hi Euri,

Yes, that's what my thoughts were too. Avoid picking a court card that you think might show up somewhere in the spread, and have something useful to say in a certain position.

As to how exactly you would make that call in advance, I'm still not sure.

xxx