Geometric Shapes on Sword Minors.

ravenest

On the sword suits are recurrent themes, little geometric line grid drawings.
They change on each card.
A; Massed together like a mosaic and disperse and fracture towards the top of the card, like radiation coming from the surface of a rising Sun.
2; 4 very distinct and clar ones around the centre. These look similar to lines drawn on a magic square linking numbers.
3; Now they seem broken apart and dispersed around the card.
4; 2 types- 1, above & below, 2, either side, with a background of intersecting lines.
5; All over the card, fractured and partially drawn.
6;Similar ones of varied size, scattered on card.
7;Similar ones various and large size.
8; All over the background in red
9; Same in black
10;Same in red.
K; Not obviously present.
Q; On crown.
P;On the 'wings' and subtley in background.
Pss;Behind her.

Any ideas on what these shapes are and how they are generated or what they represent?

Alta

This is the Thoth Forum, so the deck referred to is always the Thoth.

Bat Chicken

I noticed this too....
Apparently Harris studied a type of geometry called 'projective geometry' which was studied by students of Rudolf Steiner in the 1930's. This influence was throughout the entire deck. Rather than try to explain it - as my understanding is very basic I'll toss you this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projective_geometry

Alta

only marginally relevant

I am a big fan of the Bristish detective series Poirot. At the start of each episode, over the credits, these shapes are shown in the background. I always thought it was a reference to the Thoth suit of swords and Poirot's mental prowess.

I always thought they were stylized knives or swords, but that's a personal opinion, not based on any research.

thinbuddha

I agree with LMDuquette's assertion that these are stylized wings. If you look to the court cards, you will see similar shapes on each card. The similarities are especially noticable on the Princess card, and it seems that those shapes are meant to be wings evoking the "air" attributes of the suit.

Edge

ravenest said:
Any ideas on what these shapes are and how they are generated or what they represent?

No idea, but I'm sure there is meaning to the shapes. As has been mentioned, 'projective geometry' is most likely behind the mystery. But this is an area I know Zero about. :)

ravenest

I'm not sure it is projective geometry. Looking thru the references and sites (thanks) and other threads, these seem to be different from projective geometry, and I cant see any of these designs in the examples given of projected geometry. To me I feel they must be based on magic squares and the lines are linking certain numbers. In my mandala construction method (from magic squares) I cant get these shapes (although some look similar).

I know these squares are also used to draw up the sigil of a spirit (eg, if the spirit is Jupiterian a square of 4 is used and letters of the spirits name are converted to numbers - usually via the Qabalah of Nine Chambers - then these numbers are linked by drawing a line from one to another, thus making a shape which forms the spirits sigil) yet now matter how I juggle it I cant get these shapes, only similar ones. The pattern seems to be drawn using a magic square but using a number formular or progression I cant detect.

Like, if it is a 9 then maybe the line links numbers relevent to the nine, or multiples of nine or something?

ravenest

OOOOOOOOPS.

ravenest

:p

thinbuddha said:
I agree with LMDuquette's assertion that these are stylized wings. If you look to the court cards, you will see similar shapes on each card. The similarities are especially noticable on the Princess card, and it seems that those shapes are meant to be wings evoking the "air" attributes of the suit.

I cant agree with this, stylised wings are not represented on the minors, to me it is more like the reverse and the wings on the courts are stylized with the pattern from the minors ... not the reverse. and the theory doesnt hold by being repeated in other suits.

i believe the 'styilized wings' on the princess are the worst example. there are no wings on her back but behind her ... you can see her back and there are no wings. I believe the Prince is a much better example for wings, and also on the 'children' pulling his chariot. Knight has no wings (but his helm seems to be styalised as a mercurial (winged helm) helicopter/ dragonfly. The Queens seem to be crown more than wings as far as styilize goes.

I'm not sure, once again, LMDuquette knows what he is talking about?