Clow Cards/playing cards

SilentOne

Does anyone else here use either? I use both interchangeably

Although the cards themselves are from a television show, I have gotten very strong readings from these cards and have even foretold a couple of things (which is dang near impossible; the future is never set in stone).

I have been doing readings with Clow Cards and playing cards for the past year or two and I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of Vanessah's (from Moonlit Underground) Clow Card Fortune Book.

It sounds a little silly, but the readings I give are uncannily accurate. It's so strange. >_<
I've had no one approach me for readings lately. It's kind of saddening.

Debra

Hi, SilentOne.

I don't know the Clow cards, but you might check out the reading exchange subforum--get one, give one, or you can offer readings for feedback. There's an "introduce yourself" thread, too. Welcome to AT!

Tharivol

... you mean like in Cardcaptors? I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, it just seems closer to an oracle deck than anything else.

Obsydian

Oh I have some Clow cards! I remember Sakura did a spread with them once on the show, so in my ignorance, I did one myself as a kid. I don't remember the results though.

I even did a spread with Yu-Gi-Oh cards once. I kept getting Mammoth Graveyard in the future column. It think it was mocking me. >:C

shadowyi

My sincere apologies for reviving such an old thread, but I use the Clow cards as tarot too (just did a big reading last night) and got an extremely accurate reading. It was almost eerie, as I haven't studied the tarot for long. I too use the meanings from the Moonlit Underground, but I also have a LWB that came with my deck that I intend on comparing meanings with.

I'm actually surprised that they're considered an oracle deck at AT. Would anyone mind elaborating why?

(Cardcaptors, oh that's murder to my ears. The American version completely butchered the anime. :( )

Chronata

I don't know if I can help explain the why, but I will try!

The Clow is considered an oracle here on AT, because many of us will read just about anything! And although I realize their original intention was not designed to be an oracle they are extremely effective!
They are beautifully designed, and have wonderful concepts that are very open to interpretation!

When I first got my deck, it was from a garage sale, and didn't even have a box. Just a rubber band around the cards. I didn't even know what they were!

But I knew they had an oracular fortune telling feel, and I did a few readings just for fun, and was amazed at the accuracy and the way they pulled memories from my subconscious.

A while back there was a short lived study group here, where we came up with our own meanings and alternate reading methods. It might still be found in the archive somewhere!

I finally got to look at the website of meanings, and had a translation of the booklet done for me, but I still trust my own original interpretations more, because they came from my intuition.

shadowyi

Thank you for your response Chronata! :)

I guess my question might be better rephrased as, why are the Clow cards considered oracle cards and not tarot cards? There's a distinction between the two that I must be missing..

sephie

Well I'm a Tarot newbie but from what I've gathered from my time here the distinction between a Tarot deck and an Oracle deck lies in the number of cards. A Tarot deck has 78 cards, 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana. An Oracle deck on the other hand can have any number of cards. Since the Clow Card deck only has 22 cards (is that so?) then it would be considered an Oracle deck. This doesn't detract from it's usefulness or anything, it just doesn't quite follow the "structure".

The following is a more helpful thread on the difference between Oracle cards and Tarot cards:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=58648

BTW where did you get your deck from? and what is the quality like? I'm really interested. I really loved the show when I was a teenager.

Alta

Well, tarot is an oracle, but every oracle is not tarot.

Tarot is very structured oracle deck, and has to more or less fall along the lines of 22 major arcana (sometimes with the number order altered, but basically the standard suite of archetypes) and four suits representing earth-air-fire-water in various symbol attributions, plus four court cards for each suit.

The Clow cards are not tarot, they have their own system. Doesn't make it better or worse, it just isn't tarot. And, yes, I used to have the deck and know what they look like.

Alta

shadowyi

Oh I see, thank you both for your responses. For some reason I associate oracles with foretelling the future, so was looking at my deck in some confusion going "You tell the future? Dang!".

sephie - 52 cards actually, 53 if you include the Hope. I got mine on animeimports.net, located under the cosplay section. There's quite a few on eBay as well though, just search for Card captor Sakura Clow cards.

Alta - Would it be alright if I participated in the "Your Readings" part of the tarot subforum? Or would I be limited to the Oracles section with this deck?