How do you connect with and learn your Faeries Oracle deck?

DaughterOfDanu

I've had my Faeries Oracle for about 6 months.
I've picked it up, put it down, returned to it multiple times.
Each time I've tried to learn what the cards mean but am having an extremely difficult time. I can't seem to find a connection between the cards art and it's meaning.
I really want to learn this deck. There's a draw to it and I know it's no wonder it's one of the most popular out there.

Can anyone give me some tips on how they learned this oracle?
Do you still use it with the accompaniment book or do you know the cards by heart?
Other than having them as my constant companions, how can I connect further with this oracle to learn the cards as best I can?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, I'm not sure if there's a better place for it.

lark

I used to play a game with them...still do.
I asked them who represents....happiness
manifestation
caring
love
horror
sadness
cutting out
humor
truth
trust
etc....you get it...
And then I would see who turned up to take on that trait.
Over time, and with lots of interaction and play personalities formed...meanings took shape.
Play, play, play...forget about readings, that can come a little later, just play.
Lay out the faeries that seem similar, those that seem opposite..those that are related, those that are outsiders...make groups and families..alliances and power struggles.
They are a little world all unto themselves.
Let them tell you their stories, and make up stories for them.
The book is helpful, and sometimes they will stick to the book meaning...so don't discount that.
I read other Faerie books by Brian Froud, and found my faeries and saw other aspects of them in his writing.
That is where I started...adding in readings later gave them a testing ground, a place for them to stretch their wings and manifest as the traits they took on.
You're in for a fun ride...they are like that puppy that is hard to house break, but is so worth it in the end.

MagsStardustBlack

Relax and have fun.

TreeLeafe said:
I've had my Faeries Oracle for about 6 months.
I've picked it up, put it down, returned to it multiple times.
Each time I've tried to learn what the cards mean but am having an extremely difficult time. I can't seem to find a connection between the cards art and it's meaning.
I really want to learn this deck. There's a draw to it and I know it's no wonder it's one of the most popular out there.

Can anyone give me some tips on how they learned this oracle?
Do you still use it with the accompaniment book or do you know the cards by heart?
Other than having them as my constant companions, how can I connect further with this oracle to learn the cards as best I can?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place, I'm not sure if there's a better place for it.

Hi Treeleafe,

I'm Mags - pleased to meet you! I have recently aquired this deck also, i'm am learning the connection process with this deck. It is a really light hearted fun deck. What i do is i use a journal, with a page for every card, then i take it easy and gently and meditate on a particular card and see what feelings/messages i come up with, i may only write a few lines on initial impressions. I dont put myself under pressure, let it be a natural flow.

Is it the Froud deck you have? If so there is a imagery journey i discovered that you can do by Jessica Macbeth on her site, its called connecting with faerie, i can post you the link if you want, if it is infact that deck - even if it is not im sure you could still use the idea. I found it really helpfull. Also what the previouse poster wrote to you sounds like a great technique too.

Don't rush yourself, talk to the faeries ask them to help you find your way, they will hear you and help best they can.

I will check your post to see what ideas i can pinch for myself too as we are both at the same stages i feel, if you want to chat (about anything that is not in line with the thread title) you can pm me, it would be nice to learn this together.

Have fun, i hope you find your way,

xxMags

MagsStardustBlack

Storie time.

lark said:
They are a little world all unto themselves.
Let them tell you their stories, and make up stories for them.
That is where I started...adding in readings later gave them a testing ground, a place for them to stretch their wings and manifest as the traits they took on.

Hi Lark,

I love this idea you have - makeing up stories for them, i bet they love this, it never occured to me to do this, but it sound so much fun, i'm definatly going to take on this advise as i am at this moment learning and growing with this beautiful and very much alive deck. Do you record these stories in a journal?

xxMags

lark

MagsStardustBlack said:
Do you record these stories in a journal?

xxMags
I never did..but I hate to write...the actual physical act of writing something down ...so I had them in my mind really and remembered them that way.
But if you like to journal it would be fun...you could actually make up scripts for them like a movie.

DaughterOfDanu

Hi Mags! I'm pleased to meet you as well.
I do have Frouds first (Is it his first or just his most popular?) oracle- the Faeries Oracle. (I made a promise to my bunch- I mean, deck lol that if I was able to learn with them and become good friends, then I'd be looking into purchasing the Heart of the Faeries Oracle, too.)

I've really felt the need to start doing journaling for this deck and a small number of others. So whenever I head out next, I'm going to pick up a good number of notebooks and start writing. I'm a big believer in that we remember most- if not all, of what we learn. Its how I learned the Tarot and I'm sure it'll play a part in learning this deck.

Is Jessica's excercise easy to find on her site? If not, please do post the link. I love the excercises that one can do to bond with their decks.

I think it'd be fun too to learn this deck together. Its odd because I'm not attracted to this deck because of the artwork (although the artwork is unique and portrays the Fae in a realistic way- that I do like), but because it seems to be so alive. There are decks that are 'flat', decks that jump out at you, and this deck is one step above all those.

Lark-

Amazing idea!! I'm definitely going to be doing this to get to know my deck. I have to say I'm flabbergasted at how fun yet useful this idea sounds. Sometimes I forget that this oracle is not like any other tarot or oracle deck around and that it deserves special treatment in all things.

lark

My favorite toy as a kid was cut out paper dolls...and this kind of play reminded me of that.
I also would cut out pictures in magazines and make up stories with them as a kid...
So I've circled back to that kind of play as a adult...
Feels familiar and good, and the Faeries seem to be enjoying it tremendously...and have taught me a lot.

MagsStardustBlack

TreeLeafe said:
Hi Mags! I'm pleased to meet you as well.
I do have Frouds first (Is it his first or just his most popular?) oracle- the Faeries Oracle. (I made a promise to my bunch- I mean, deck lol that if I was able to learn with them and become good friends, then I'd be looking into purchasing the Heart of the Faeries Oracle, too.)

I've really felt the need to start doing journaling for this deck and a small number of others. So whenever I head out next, I'm going to pick up a good number of notebooks and start writing. I'm a big believer in that we remember most- if not all, of what we learn. Its how I learned the Tarot and I'm sure it'll play a part in learning this deck.

Is Jessica's excercise easy to find on her site? If not, please do post the link. I love the excercises that one can do to bond with their decks.

I think it'd be fun too to learn this deck together. Its odd because I'm not attracted to this deck because of the artwork (although the artwork is unique and portrays the Fae in a realistic way- that I do like), but because it seems to be so alive. There are decks that are 'flat', decks that jump out at you, and this deck is one step above all those.

Hiya,

Your Guide to Faerie by Jessica Macbeth at www.faeriewisdom.com. I'm not sure if i fancy The Heart of Faerie, to be honest - it's not won me over yet, i think it's because i'm so impressed with Frouds Faerie Oracle, i know its the same artist but a different collaboration.

I take your point about the deck being Alive, i think its because Brian Froud is similar to a Shaman in that her paints in a meditive state and brings back the images and messages he see's from the faerie realm, so people like us can be a part of it. I grew up loving his work, the Labyrinth was an iconic childhood movie of mine, and The Dark Crystal, and as a teen i was given books and cards of his works. Oh back soon, have to go just now.......

Back again. So check the site and let me know how you get on with the imager journey. Jessica actually recomends the use of a journal, in her book. And you will need one to record what happens when you meet your faerie guide. I met my guide after i already had an idea of her appearance and her name which when i casually was thinking 'i wonder what my faerie guides name is' it hit me like an electric shot right to my mind - very cool! Then i actually met her through the meditation imagery journey, which is a lovely journey, relaxing! You will enjoy it very much. xxMags

DaughterOfDanu

Mags, your link didn't work. But I went ahead and started looking at the cards- just looking. I didn't even look at the names but rather let their personalities dictate what they're trying to tell me.

I pulled some cards for a "Story" and it just seemed so powerful and at the same time adorable. Their eyes were looking at me with such emotion and life.

I group them when I'm bored, I try to see why I grouped them one way and why I grouped them another.

So far I'm really connecting them. And when I looked on Amazon yesterday HoF was for 16$ so I snagged it. It should be here tomorrow.

MagsStardustBlack

TreeLeafe said:
Mags, your link didn't work. But I went ahead and started looking at the cards- just looking. I didn't even look at the names but rather let their personalities dictate what they're trying to tell me.

I pulled some cards for a "Story" and it just seemed so powerful and at the same time adorable. Their eyes were looking at me with such emotion and life.

I group them when I'm bored, I try to see why I grouped them one way and why I grouped them another.

So far I'm really connecting them. And when I looked on Amazon yesterday HoF was for 16$ so I snagged it. It should be here tomorrow.

Sorry, here it is -

http://www.faerywisdom.com/faeguide.html

xxMags