Deck Evaluation Spread

PrincessPaulina

I've created this spread by compiling questions from other "deck interview" spreads, along with my personal questions; it is usually the 1st spread I ever do on a deck.
I've also tried it with some of my older ("experienced") decks, and gotten very illuminating insights.
For example, I now know that my Tarot of Prague is better suited for career/financial questions, while I probably will no longer be using it to examine relationships.

1. An important characteristic of this deck
2. One of the deck's strengths
3. One of the deck's limitations
4. What this deck can contribute to a reading
5. How this deck sees me now (my significator, according to this deck)
6. Types of readings to best use this deck
7. Types of readings to best use another deck
8. How I can most effectively learn from this deck
9. Potential outcome of my reading with this deck.

frac_ture

Hi, PrincessPaulina -- I just wanted to say that I think you've offered up a really intriguing spread here! Over in the Talking Tarot Forum, Zechariah13 posted a thread exploring questions in the same ballpark as what you're addressing here, and his thread prompted me to devise a quick and simple two-card draw aimed at getting a grip on what my own overall dynamic with a given deck will be like (I'm still new at all this, and I can use the extra clues found in such answers!). The results were really great -- interesting and helpful -- and I think I might like to move on to using your spread, or maybe a scaled down version of it (nine cards is still a lot for me to take in all at once!). Thanks for posting this, though!!

PrincessPaulina

Hi, PrincessPaulina -- I just wanted to say that I think you've offered up a really intriguing spread here! Over in the Talking Tarot Forum, Zechariah13 posted a thread exploring questions in the same ballpark as what you're addressing here, and his thread prompted me to devise a quick and simple two-card draw aimed at getting a grip on what my own overall dynamic with a given deck will be like (I'm still new at all this, and I can use the extra clues found in such answers!). The results were really great -- interesting and helpful -- and I think I might like to move on to using your spread, or maybe a scaled down version of it (nine cards is still a lot for me to take in all at once!). Thanks for posting this, though!!

Thanks for your kind words of support, frac_ture!
I know that newbies are commonly advised to start off with shorter spreads, and gradually work their way up to more cards, but I totally ignored this premise back in the days when I was 1st starting out (I've never been one for rules, especially where Tarot is concerned! :D)
I just jumped right into the deep end, and never regretted it ~ even if I was overwhelmed at times, I was still grateful to feel "over-saturated" by the Tarot, and to be learning so much!
I've also always kept a Tarot journal, and I periodically return to the entries from my "early days".
Many of those spreads still offer me insights in retrospect, and I can now understand the concepts that eluded me then.

If you do decide to give this spread a whirl, you can always post your results in the "Your Readings" section for help from other readers.
Please let me know if you decide to do this, as I'd love to see this spread in action by other readers.

Good luck on your Tarot journey!

frac_ture

Thanks for your kind words of support, frac_ture!
I know that newbies are commonly advised to start off with shorter spreads, and gradually work their way up to more cards, but I totally ignored this premise back in the days when I was 1st starting out (I've never been one for rules, especially where Tarot is concerned! :D)
I just jumped right into the deep end, and never regretted it ~ even if I was overwhelmed at times, I was still grateful to feel "over-saturated" by the Tarot, and to be learning so much!
I've also always kept a Tarot journal, and I periodically return to the entries from my "early days".
Many of those spreads still offer me insights in retrospect, and I can now understand the concepts that eluded me then.

If you do decide to give this spread a whirl, you can always post your results in the "Your Readings" section for help from other readers.
Please let me know if you decide to do this, as I'd love to see this spread in action by other readers.

Good luck on your Tarot journey!

Thanks for your own kind thoughts here! Yes, I am keeping a Tarot journal, too, although I'm sure I could always be writing even more in it!

I did attempt a big 11-card spread on 11/11/11 (at 11:11 a.m., in fact!), and it was a really great experience. The reason I haven't gone back to such a large spread isn't that I can't dope out meanings for the cards and for how the overall set and the various subsets relate to each other and give answers...it's partially just that the process of mulling it all over and then setting all my thoughts down in writing took so long! I'll definitely be building up my capacity for larger spreads, though, and as you suggested, I do think I'll keep on tossing in the occasional disproportionately big one just to keep things fresh and to keep challenging myself. I will also certainly not be shy about posting some of my efforts on the "Your Readings" board! Thanks for the advice! Oh, and if I do use your spread there, I'll definitely buzz you and let you know so you can take a look...