Is the person in 10 of swords suffering?

EvaSegovia

I've seen the 10 of swords as someone who has been, as they say, 'stabbed in the back' (as in betrayed). To me, the hand gesture of blessing showed this person meant well, and didn't see the betrayal coming. It was a terrible blow; and it's taking a long time to heal...
I've also seen this card portray a boy who had been sexually molested; and it's taking a VERY long time to heal...
I have yet to see this card in any kind of positive light.
To me, this card is SO way more than just an ending...

Barleywine

I agree with Thirteen. What's dead (in this case the cold ashes of the victim's mental anguish) can't feel pain. The RWS version of this card suggests a "scorched earth" scenario, where there is no green thing surviving in the landscape. (The Deviant Moon version looks like the figure is in something like an Iron Maiden, so it's not clear just where his "escape" lies.) I tell my clients it's time to pick up the pieces and soldier on toward the "dawn of a new day;" there's nothing left for them here. I've had this a couple of times recently as the outcome for completed divorce situations, and it was perfectly fitting because "the deed was done" and recovery was on the sitters' minds.

headincloud

I'd say the person in the 10S is in the throws of a difficult situation that is reaching it's outer limits and may be under intense mental pressure depending on the surrounding situation that is passing out of existence. The reversed card may indicate a dire and extreme state or less pressure than the upright.

The situation around the 3C ties into a relationship so the ending of a relationship that is causing disruption to our lives with the tower.

lareina

-

I had ten of swords many times after my ex betrayed me. I was so hurt that I could not live a normal life. I can feel that sorrow with my every breath. even long after the break up I was still getting this card. so I strongly disagree that this card means no pain.

Grizabella

"Stabbed in the back" and betrayed are two of the meanings that jump to my mind. Also, I agree that he's feeling no pain. The relationship is dead and if a person literally had 10 swords in their back, they'd not only be dead, but they wouldn't have felt the pain because a)the swords would have cut the spinal cord and b)cutting the spinal cord means death but also the ending of physical pain below the injury since the neural pathways would be severed.

When people are hurt as described by the 10 of Swords, to me it can mean that the relationship has gone on so long, way past the point where the ending of it would cause a lot of pain, so the ending would be a relief from pain of long standing hurts and dysfunction.

Butterfly1

I am sorry to hear about your breakup...

My experience with the card has never been that the person is suffering because of loss and wants to get back together but rather that it is all over (he did suffer, any brake up brings some suffering, he is already dead now, no suffering) or feeling betrayed (not necessarily being cheated on but betrayed in any kind of way - sometimes you feel betrayed after investing in relationship that didn't work out). Even if there was some 'suffering' involved it was more of feeling exhausted from everything that has happened rather than wanting to improve the situation.

You asked how he feels, not whether that is the end so don't put these two answers together, but whenever i got that card, something happened that emotionally 'killed me' and even though i obviously recovered from the loss, the situation in question never got back to what it was, what i wanted to be, or improved...

There are cards that would indicate more that he is broken and possibly want to get back together - like 5 of cups for instance. Even 9 of swords. But not 10 of swords

feminine_mystique

The 10 of swords is interesting to me. I once had it appear as someone who did something embarassing in front of a crush.. have you ever gone home and just crash on the bed and say to yourself "omg i wish i was dead" which is what the 10 of swords represented lol.. so it's not always a "serious" card to me but when i saw it in her spread i interpreted it that way and she said thats exactly what she did after her encounter with her boo.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Barleywine

The 10 of swords is interesting to me. I once had it appear as someone who did something embarassing in front of a crush.. have you ever gone home and just crash on the bed and say to yourself "omg i wish i was dead" which is what the 10 of swords represented lol.. so it's not always a "serious" card to me but when i saw it in her spread i interpreted it that way and she said thats exactly what she did after her encounter with her boo.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This is a very convincing "real-world" example. I bet she had the 10 of Swords sitting on one shoulder and the 9 of Swords on the other!

I once had a relevant situation of my own. Long ago I had a young lady treat me shabbily, and a couple of days later she called up and said "I hope you don't have bad feelings for me now." I said "Of course not, I have no feelings for you now." The 10 of Swords in action!

Flames

I once had a relevant situation of my own. Long ago I had a young lady treat me shabbily, and a couple of days later she called up and said "I hope you don't have bad feelings for me now." I said "Of course not, I have no feelings for you now." The 10 of Swords in action!

When you said you had no feelings for her, wasn't that your way of 'sticking it to her'? :p

Barleywine

When you said you had no feelings for her, wasn't that your way of 'sticking it to her'? :p

Only in retrospect. That was a completely spontaneous response that I just blurted out. The disagreement was actually about "not sticking it." :joke: