7 of Swords as a positive card?

TaureanWitch

I was wondering if any of you believe the 7 of swords could be something of good intention?

Like deception because people are planning a surprise birthday party?

Or deception because the person simply doesn't want to hurt the feelings of another (a.k.a. white lying)?

Your thoughts?

rwcarter

7S doesn't even have to mean deception. It could mean thinking creatively or outside of the box. With the RWS image, instead of taking on a superior opponent head on, the guy is evening the playing field by taking some of their weapons.

As with all readings, the question, any positional meanings and the other cards in the reading would help inform whether any particular card should be interpreted positively or negatively.

Rodney

Barleywine

I've mostly gotten away from the "deception" and "thievery" meanings for the 7 of Swords. In terms of number theory, the Sevens are a reaction to the uneventful complacency of the Sixes that may have overstayed its time. They represent a need to clarify (especially appropriate with Swords) what's missing and step out in a new direction in search of a way to remedy it. Some writers consider the Sevens to show a "test" since they are challenging established assumptions.

The idea of a "design" or "plan" as Waite uses it wouldn't be foreign to the pursuit of a "new direction," and Swords imply a degree of "cleverness" in pursuing it. The fact that the man couldn't carry all seven swords and had to leave some behind shows "partial success," and I once mentioned that he left the remaining swords stuck in the ground as a marker to find his way back and finish the job.

headincloud

This card came out to rep the plotting and planning that goes into studying for exams and the study itself based on initiative, a key word. There's also a lone wolf quality.

In relationship spreads it's not usually welcome as it can imply betrayal, deceit and infidelity depending on surrounding cards.

Grizabella

I've mostly gotten away from the "deception" and "thievery" meanings for the 7 of Swords. In terms of number theory, the Sevens are a reaction to the uneventful complacency of the Sixes that may have overstayed its time. They represent a need to clarify (especially appropriate with Swords) what's missing and step out in a new direction in search of a way to remedy it. Some writers consider the Sevens to show a "test" since they are challenging established assumptions.

The idea of a "design" or "plan" as Waite uses it wouldn't be foreign to the pursuit of a "new direction," and Swords imply a degree of "cleverness" in pursuing it. The fact that the man couldn't carry all seven swords and had to leave some behind shows "partial success," and I once mentioned that he left the remaining swords stuck in the ground as a marker to find his way back and finish the job.

Good thought. :)

I recently saw a post that I thought was another good way of looking at this. The man taking the swords wasn't taking every single sword because he was "considerate" enough to leave some for the person he stole from. He didn't want them to be totally helpless so he only took part of the swords.

Barleywine

Good thought. :)

I recently saw a post that I thought was another good way of looking at this. The man taking the swords wasn't taking every single sword because he was "considerate" enough to leave some for the person he stole from. He didn't want them to be totally helpless so he only took part of the swords.

This would work if he never intended to show his face there again. I have a more cynical viewpoint. He will probably arm his friends with the other swords (maybe he only has a four-man army) and come back to the camp and finish them off, erasing the "partial success" stigma. })

Onaorkal

My general take on the 7 of Swords is "doing what is advantageous for you", which can easily imply being selfish and hurting others/causing trouble in the process. But not necessarily. Even acting selfish might be considered a positive asset in some situations!

IndigoWaves

In relationship spreads it's not usually welcome as it can imply betrayal, deceit and infidelity depending on surrounding cards.
I agree with this. The 7S can be "positive" energy elsewhere, but unless someone has a deep-seated need to have the wool pulled over his/her eyes, it really isn't a good sight in relationship readings. It involves one person who has or is after a (typically) secret advantage... Clever evasiveness, not caring, sharing or otherwise "relating".

spookyboo22

Hi
If I had never read anything about the seven of Swords and just had the picture to go on I would say this.

When I look at the guy on the card he always makes me giggle. He looks like a cheeky chappy but not a bad guy.

An example I had the other day

I was out with a guy the other evening and we went back to his and he gave me the cab fare to get home.
With the change, instead of giving it all to the driver as a tip, I gave him some and with the rest of the change I bought some treats for his dog which were designed for dogs and not for humans because the dog was without.

A bit cheeky but thoughtful too ( I thought )

I asked the cards what this guy would think about what I did with his cash and pulled the seven of Swords.

I told him what I had done and he said it was very thoughtful ��

So it's not all doom and gloom, strategic thinking maybe x

Barleywine

So it's not all doom and gloom, strategic thinking maybe x

Yes, I think "strategic" is a good word for it that goes right along with "design" and "plan." But I also think Waite would have us believe "design" actually means "guile" and he does specifically say "failed plan." The idea seems to be strategy with dubious intent, but I like your take better.