Can you read Thoth cards with other decks interpretations

ninja_vixen

Dunno if this in the right place but I've a question regarding reading Thoth cards.

Is it appropriate/useful to read interpretations for other decks? For example sometimes I read this site (http://www.ata-tarot.com/resource/cards/ ) which uses the Rider-Waite deck.

I find it useful though awkward when I come across cards that are different eg Justice vs Adjustment, Page vs Princess, King vs Knight.

Does anyone have any insight on this query?

Zephyros

Well, I suppose you can, but then you have, or should, make certain adjustments, just like you would in any deck you used.

For example, Strength vs Lust: Lust is, to me, a much more powerful card than its RWS counterpart. In the RWS what you is serenity, overcoming obstacles with the strength of your mind and defeating the violent forces.

Lust, on the other hand, is much more about the ecstasy of discovering your inner power. This woman isn't just overcoming the Lion, rather, she is enjoying it, reveling in her might.

I don't know if I made much sense here, because interpretations of cards are for me the hardest things to explain, but I hope you get the picture.

Ultimately it boils down to how you relate to the cards. Adjustment for instance means more or less the same to me in both decks, since I've never really connected to that card.

Macavity

I think one can read any deck with any (other deck) meaning. (A Pet theory!) But, more seriously, I have come to the belief that some "superpostion" of all deck meanings may represent what Tarot is "getting at" or what the human "collective" sees? (concious or unconcious! <G>) But that is not to neglect individual, deck related, intuition... :D

I think the Courts remain a slightly vexing problem. The Thoth Knights (sic) are defined as Fire of <suite> which suits (no pun!) ME just fine. Thus my convention is to see e.g. RWS Kings as also the dynamic, Firey, "head honcho" of the suite. (Thoth) Princes are then correspondingly (RWS) Knights. The only fly in the ointment is a noticable match of symbolism between e.g. the Thoth Princes and the RWS Kings. (Idem the other "pair") Sometimes "my brain hurts" over this one - <controversy> Did AEW really *know* what he was doing? </controversy> })

I think the above is a practical solution. But I guess consistency is the thing? :)

Macavity

Zephyros

The way I see it, every deck creator sets out, in a certain sense, to say something. If he chose to portray a certain fugure in a certain way and not in another way, well then, shouldn't we at least seek to find out why he chose to do that way?

So if in the RWS Strength is portrayed as it is, and in the Thoth Lust is portrayed the way it is, there is a reason for those differences. The way Piccasso painted a tree wasn't the same way DaVinci did.

Macavity

Yup, I'm a great one for "reading the manual". :D

And, where there are significant differences in the cards - esp. the Thoth Majors, then IMO the (believed) motivation for meaning should be incorporated. The fascinating and noteworthy differences in general thrust of the minor meanings of e.g. Thoth and RWS, obeyed too. I find the Thoth keywords indespensible too. But it's sometimes useful to bear the "corresponding" image/meaning in mind as a potential adjunct?

I'm sure, at/beyond that level, it becomes more of a personal thing... ;)

Macavity

ninja_vixen

Food for thought, thank you both :D