Book to go with mini-Motherpeace

Aerin

Well, I've now ordered the book everyone recommended, and I got the deck yesterday. The Mary Greer Reversals book covers ways of using them for round decks to do with phases of the moon I seem to remember, sounds similar to yours mauishelle.

I think it is lovely, it feels full of gentle rounded flowing energy (the pictures as well as the card shape!) in contrast to, say, the Thoth which always makes me think of angles and points and direct harsh light and something a bit frozen in time. Kind of a cups-y deck as against a swords-y deck.

Aerin, who was rambling just now. Ah well.

catlin

Hm, you made me curious. Ok, Motherpeace moves a bit further up on my wishlist.

Aerin

Curiosity is generally a Good Thing.

According to me ;)

Aerin

mauishelle

Hey Aerin,

Glad you like it! What a great way to describe it...a "cups-y" deck as opposed to a "swords-y" deck! I always call it my "deep, gentle" deck. It gets to the emotional bottom of a situation, but even if it sees a harsh reality, somehow it seems you can see a positive course of action...anyway, you described it much better :)

Have fun ;)

~Shelle

Kiama

You guys have forced me into it... I've now got a Motherpeace Round deck! I let on to my boyfriend how much I wanted it, and he saw it in on of the 'New Age' shops on his way home from work, so he bought it for me. :D I must say this deck, despite its often childish artwork, is gorgeous! The meanings are so simply shown that it is easy to read, and the Aces! They are great! I often find a big flaw in most decks is that the meanings for each Ace don't show through in the cards themselves.. Most decks have say, One Cup and some water for the Ace of Cups, which to me, means nothing... In Motherpeace, the Ace of Cups has a woman diving into a big cup of water... Very symbolic to me. The same with the Ace of Pentacles: Instead of just a Pentacles hovering over a garden, this card shows somebody laying on a disc-like rug, surrounded by comfort and luxury... It speaks the world to me!

I also love the Court Cards in this deck: The characters are doing things which relate to the meaing of the card itself...

This is a little treasure basically, and I will be buying the book when my next pay check arives!

Kiama

AutumnMoonfire

I hope you do enjoy it, It is a fun deck. I didn't find the artwork childish so much as non-pretensious. If I hadn't spent a lot of time with this deck the idea of drawing one's own deck would seem very alien to me. There is something so approachable about Motherpeace.

Momof6

Motherpeace is my favorite deck

The Motherpeace deck is the one I learned on. It was the deck used by the Order I am studying under. To be honest, I have never understood the negative reviews....I don't see the deck as "flaming at the mouth feminist" at all. But, I am coming from the spiritual path of honoring both the Goddess and the God so it is not "abnormal" for me to see the Goddess.

One of the things I really like about this deck is the use of multicultural women in it and with *real* bodies!!! (not Barbie style)

A few of the cards could be either male or female IMHO.

The "must have" book is the one you can get with the book/mini-deck set. It is *Motherpeace: A way to the Goddess Through Myth, Art, and Tarot*.

From what I understand, there is also a workbook to go with this deck. I did not get it since I am learning directly under a mentor but if I were studying with Motherpeace by myself, I'd probably get it.

The mini-deck is easy to shuffle and handle in your hands. I have large hands and the mini deck is just right.

I think part of the problem is that some decks that have a Goddess slant get labled as totally feminist. I don't see this as unusual, especially since we live in a mostly patriarchial society and seeing mostly female things is not the norm. I sometimes wonder if the other round deck (Daughters of the Moon??? I'm not sure of the name) gets mixed up with the Motherpeace deck when people talk about how totally feminist it is. I just don't see the Motherpeace deck as being soooo feminist...but this other deck I am thinking of is a feminist deck and reminds me of Dianic Wicca and other Goddess-ONLY spiritual paths. Darn, I wish I could remember the name of that other round deck! *lol*

I have purchased other decks but the Motherpeace deck gives me the best readings and I keep on coming back to it. Very intuitive deck for me.

Hugs,

Momof6

divinerguy

Catlin - I have the Mini-Motherpeace. Much easier to use, because it fits in your hand better.

If you have big hands or vision problems, get the big deck.

I also have the Motherpeace Tarot Guidebook. Once you get past the anti-male, Dianic Wicca rhetoric, its not too bad.

I use the deck regularly, because I like the ability to read more than just upright and reversed. A round deck lets you read rising and falling energy levels.

Redwood is sending me Tarot of the Cloisters, which has the round deck features, and doesn't treat me with disrespect simply because I'm a guy.

truthsayer

Re: Motherpeace is my favorite deck

Momof6 said:
and seeing mostly female things is not the norm. I sometimes wonder if the other round deck (Daughters of the Moon??? I'm not sure of the name) gets mixed up with the Motherpeace deck when people talk about how totally feminist it is. I just don't see the Motherpeace deck as being soooo feminist...but this other deck I am thinking of is a feminist deck and reminds me of Dianic Wicca and other Goddess-ONLY spiritual paths. Darn, I wish I could remember the name of that other round deck! *lol*
B]

4 round decks: tarot of the cloisters, songs for the journey home, mini and maxi motherpeace. those are the only round decks i can think of. is it one of these? i think you are thinking about daughters of the moon so you have it right.

truthsayer

i got the mini motherpeace in a trade recently. i can't believe how much i like it! of course, i've only seen and handled the large MP which i have never liked since the first time i saw it in 1985. i don't have extra small hands but they aren't large either. the mini size is nice handling. it shuffles and handles easier than the other round decks i've had. some of the images of the lg. MP that seem too much are okay in the mini. i've never thought that size impacted how much i like a deck but apparently it's the case w/ this deck. i hate to think i never gave this deck a chance in so many years. but then maybe it's ME that's changed in the past 17 years and it's not the deck at all! okay, now i've got to see the lg. MP again! LOL i think i have something else to add to the thread i started on "decks you thought you'd hate but now love" thread. :D

i should never pronounce a deck one that i don't like b/c it seems to backfire on me everytime!!!!!!