Tarot Videos

TallTarotGuy

Hi All,

I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with videotapes that teach Tarot. Are they worth the money, or is it better to stick with the books?

I'm interested in one in particular...Tarot & You, by Terri Kolter. It looks like she uses the Thoth deck for her instruction (a deck I'm particularly fond of).

Any comments/suggestions/etc would be greatly appreciated.

:)
TTG

Lee

I can imagine that a tarot video might be helpful in the way a seminar might be helpful, in that it gives you a chance to actually hear the teacher speak. It would have to be a teacher that I knew was good. I never heard of Terri Kolter, so I have no idea if she's good or not.

Frankly, tarot isn't like cooking, where there's something physical going on that you really need to be able to see. It doesn't take any special expertise to shuffle a deck and lay out cards. So my personal opinion is you'd be better off buying a book, where you can do some research and find out if the author is a respected one, you can read reader's comments on Amazon, you can do a search of the book's title/author with the word "review" in Google and read whatever reviews of the book might be out there on the internet, and, best of all, if you see the book in the bookstore you can spend some time leafing through it and determine whether you think you like that author's approach. Usually you can't do any of these things with a video.

-- Lee

TallTarotGuy

Another thing I thought of that you can't do with a video...quickly reference the meaning of a card! Can you imagine trying to fast forward through the video everytime you were stumped on the meaning of a card? Hmmm...I'll have to rethink my interest.

Thanks Lee!

Jewel

If you are interested in videos, www.wicce.com has a listing of tarot videos, and I think they may even be reviewed on her site. Just thought I would pass this on.

TallTarotGuy

Thanks Jewel! I'll have to go check it out...

TTG

Minderwiz

I don't see any reason in principle why a Video should be worse than using a book and may even be better - a DVD might be better still because it could be interactive.

I'll also have a look at the site mentioned but I recognise the issues relating to how good the presenter is and how easy it is to cross reference material

Minderwiz