Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

baba-prague

Hi - thanks for the Turkish Van suggestion - great links! You know Siberians are also supposed to like water, but ever since Lotte fell in the bath (no-one in it at the time, I had just run the water) she has been terrified of it. You are gathering that Lotte is a cat who will always make a drama out of a crisis :) It took me a good while to dry her off and calm her down - now she slinks around the bathroom very cautiously.

Card size? This is perpetually difficult Hedera. If you look through this thread you will find that most people are asking for these cards to be quite big. Now, personally, like you, I think really over-sized cards are just too hard to handle, but on the other hand, the bigger the image, the more detail you will be able to see, and many people prefer this. I think the size and shape we've decided on is probably the best solution and one that will please most people - I hope. But yes, it is a bit bigger than ToP, but it's also a little different in shape, rather longer and thinner. We just wanted that Baroque elegance of shape. I think it will still be small enough to handle - but maybe only just. But then, I manage with my Victoria Regina, and they are pretty big cards.

Paper and finish is also an on-going concern. We don't want it to be plastic-feeling but we do want a bit of a higher finish than on Prague. Very hard to get it right. Doing samples now to test different options.

skytwig

I truly think that this deck demands a bigger size.... I have 'seen' that from my first view of it....

Eventually, too, when the deck 'takes off' (which it will :) ), then you can think about putting out a smaller deck.... Thoth has 2 sizes, which I think is appropriate for highly artistic decks.....

baba-prague

Two of wands

It's again at low quality, so looks a little more "busy" than it does in print (this is a quality of showing on-screen that seems to particularly affect these images as they are so detailed). I'm putting up a close-up though to give more idea of the detail.

The "globe" that the cat is holding is actually part of a baroque globe clock - you can see the markings of the hours on the surface. The statue of the woman in the background holds a more conventional world globe. I like the idea not only of longing for a broader world, but also of thinking about time ticking away...

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_small2wnds.jpg

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_closeup2wnds.jpg

Alta

Sorry, have not posted for a while but have been following.
On the issue of card size, what you described sounds about right for me. The balance of being able to see the magnificant detail balanced by the useability of the cards. I would love to see an edition of larger cards for collectors (like me) to be able to appreciate just your art.
The 2 of wands is excellent. The faraway look as the cat gazes at the globe.... dreaming yet intense.

Hedera

Yes, the 2 of Wands is lovely!

Such a beatiful sky, too.

skytwig

I think this is the best 2 Wands I've ever seen..... excellent!!

HudsonGray

"The "globe" that the cat is holding is actually part of a baroque globe clock - you can see the markings of the hours on the surface. The statue of the woman in the background holds a more conventional world globe. I like the idea not only of longing for a broader world, but also of thinking about time ticking away..."

I hope you put things like this in the book for the deck. I had no clue that's what he was holding, it looked more religious to me (those globe balls with the little cross on top) so I would have completely missed the reference.

Was the fall coloring on the trees a comment on the lateness of the year (and therefore on the potential time given to what the person/cat is waiting on results for)?

baba-prague

Yes, I will try to get this sort of thing into the book. I have less pages this time - we are trying to do a slightly smaller book so that it all fits into smaller packaging - so I hope I can also get in some of the original photos. This clock is fabulous when you see it. You're right, if I don't describe it no-one will have a clue what it really is and means, I'd certainly only once ever seen a globe clock before.

Oh - and I do think this is an oddly autumnal card. I think the Three of Swords is much more springlike. Just my interpretation.

Oh - total digression I know, but I have to tell you. Apparently the technical museum here has POCKET SUNDIALS. Can you imagine, carrying one, and taking it out to look at the time? It's true - for a brief time they did exist. I kind of want one.

contrascarpe

baba-prague said:

Oh - total digression I know, but I have to tell you. Apparently the technical museum here has POCKET SUNDIALS. Can you imagine, carrying one, and taking it out to look at the time? It's true - for a brief time they did exist. I kind of want one.

Karen - I want one, too. Those little batteries get my blood boiling.

A question regarding the new deck - will it be on the same cardstock as the ToP? Your deck is still my favorite and although the stock is strong, I did my first reading with it the other day and found it hard to "riffle". Not sure if it was because of the stiffness or lack of glossy finish. I will state, however, that no matter what you have a lifelong customer in me. Your artwork is fantastic. If you ever publish a book with the artwork you and Alex have developed, please let me know.

Dan

Astra

Karen, I feel a bit sacreligeous suggesting changes, but if you put a haze over the city photo in the two of wands, so that the detail either blurred or lightened with distance, the cat would actually be a whole lot more visible, and I think the impact would be heightened.