The best Marseilles book to start with

Yves Le Marseillais

Look at old historical decks also...

I think I might also buy a Tarot de Marseilles deck to practice with... I don't want to use my Soprafino deck yet until I know what I'm doing.

Could you please recommend a Marseilles deck to start with as well?

Personally, I like the Le Veritable Tarot de Marseilles (Hadar) deck because I prefer the muted colours. I think the standard colours are so ugly and it would take me a while to get used to them.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/hadar-marseilles/

Thank you :)

Bonsoir Selena,

Take a look at some old historical tarot decks on this gallery below and may be you will feel a good one for you:

http://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/historic_tarots_gallery.

Salutations from Marseille City
Old €urope

Yves

cjxtypes

Well you found a great hobby. There's enough decks, books, styles of reading, art, journaling...and so many other avenues Tarot can go down it should last you a lifetime! :)

Miss Woo

Well you found a great hobby. There's enough decks, books, styles of reading, art, journaling...and so many other avenues Tarot can go down it should last you a lifetime! :)

Yes, I'm drawn to the artistic and the historical side of Tarot, but the psychological/self-help side is what I mostly use it for. The divination side is fun also.

shaveling

You might look for a used copy of Fred Gettings' book, discussed in this thread and this one. It focuses on the TdM imagery, so it will help much more with the Hadar than with the Soprafino. As you will see, jmd, whose own book is so well-regarded, consistently speaks highly of the Gettings work.

ivanna

J-M David's is excellent too - but a total pain to buy - very pricey as a book and my experience with buying it on lulu was NOT fun.......

I got first a Yoav Ben Dov copy which I found a great book to start with and later I got a J.M David copy on Lulu. Is very expensive and you have to add the shipping costs, to Spain in my case, so I got a pdf version, printed at my office and then put an spiral folder. It wasn't cheap but it deserves the effort. Is a great book

Miss Woo

Thanks very much for your suggestions... I would like to buy a few Marseilles books to get a broad perspective on the subject, so this thread has been very helpful :)

I can't wait to get my Hadar deck/Ben-Dov book and start learning how to read the TdM!

3ill.yazi

There is also the book by Jodorowsky, who Ben-Dov studied with. I'm reading it, and it is very interesting, but I can also see where some people are turned off by him. He is very opinionated, and I've caught some errors on history already. But it's worth a look IMO.

I will probably get the Ben-Dov book next, as there is apparently some deal on Amazon that you can get the ebook free or reduced if you get the paper version.

I'm actually studying the LWB for his deck that Ben-Dov provides as a free PDF on his website. It's actually a little masterpiece of precise writing, collecting card meanings that I can recognize being from multiple sources.

I really want to support him, too, because of his adhering to the Creative Commons model and supplying so much of his content for free. A refreshing alternative to a lot of super-expensive "secret teachings" out there.

Michael Sternbach

Bonsoir Selena,

Another very interesting book is Sallie Nichols' "Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey" which is based on the Marseilles Tarot.

Miss Woo

There is also the book by Jodorowsky, who Ben-Dov studied with. I'm reading it, and it is very interesting, but I can also see where some people are turned off by him. He is very opinionated, and I've caught some errors on history already. But it's worth a look IMO.

I will probably get the Ben-Dov book next, as there is apparently some deal on Amazon that you can get the ebook free or reduced if you get the paper version.

I'm actually studying the LWB for his deck that Ben-Dov provides as a free PDF on his website. It's actually a little masterpiece of precise writing, collecting card meanings that I can recognize being from multiple sources.

I really want to support him, too, because of his adhering to the Creative Commons model and supplying so much of his content for free. A refreshing alternative to a lot of super-expensive "secret teachings" out there.

Thanks for letting me know about the Ben-Dov LWB on his website... I will have to check it out :)