Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

The Game of Saturn/The Sola-Busca Tarot

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Resident

blackhorse 
Resident
The Game of Saturn/The Sola-Busca Tarot

Has anyone else heard about the new book being put out by Scarlet Imprint on the Sola-Busca Tarot? It looks very interesting.

http://scarletimprint.com/2016/09/fo...ame-of-saturn/

"The Game of Saturn is the first full length, scholarly study of the enigmatic Renaissance masterwork known as the Sola-Busca tarot. An ethno-historical study, it reveals the existence of a pagan liturgical and ritual tradition active amongst members of the Renaissance elite and encoded within the deck. Beneath its beautifully decorated surface, its imagery ranges from the obscure to the grotesque; we encounter scenes of homoeroticism, wounding, immolation and decapitation redolent of hidden meanings, violent transformations and obscure rites."

The cards can be viewed individually here. http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sola-Busca_gallery

An interesting comparison of images from the Sola-Busca and the Smith-Waite can be found here. https://solabuscatarot1998mayer.word...e-smith-tarot/

Has anyone here worked with the Sola-Busca? Most of the resources online for it are rather old and the websites are down. Im very interested in possible meanings for the major arcana, which I assume are related to the history/mythology of each of the characters represented. In any case its a beautiful deck.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Citizen

Michellehihi 
Citizen

I bought the deck and returned it as I did not connect with it at all!
I had bought the companion book, which I was not able to return because it was from a different seller who did not accept returns; so it is available if someone wants it!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

FLizarraga 
Citizen

I seem to remember that there is a previous book on the Sola Busca by an Italian author, a woman, IIRC. Very hard to get, and can't say if it is any good, since I don't have it.

ETA: Found it! It's Sola Busca Tarot, by a Sofia Di Vincenzo. And it's listed on Amazon US for the bargain price of... $228 plus shipping!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

Michellehihi 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
I seem to remember that there is a previous book on the Sola Busca by an Italian author, a woman, IIRC. Very hard to get, and can't say if it is any good, since I don't have it.

ETA: Found it! It's Sola Busca Tarot, by a Sofia Di Vincenzo. And it's listed on Amazon US for the bargain price of... $228 plus shipping!
Hohoho! I have this book! Lucky me! But I don't need it, soooo...
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Citizen

FLizarraga 
Citizen

I had the Lo Scarabeo edition, and found it very hard to work with, in the sense that the images blur together (all those reds, maybe). I also had Seven Stars' modernized, RWS-ed version Sola Busca 2.0, and had the same problem.

It was a counterintuitive experience, as I love the art and the images seen online pop and get your full attention (there are threads here about how they seem to be 3-D), but in a reading in person they seem to become flat and samey.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Citizen

FLizarraga 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellehihi View Post
Hohoho! I have this book! Lucky me! But I don't need it, soooo...
Well, you can try to sell it online for hundreds of bucks... or you can trade it to me...
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Citizen

Patrick Booker 
Citizen

There is a copy of the Sofia Di Vicenzo book on Amazon UK at a much lower price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sola-Busca-.../dp/1572811307

I have a copy, and there is certainly enough there to use the deck. I don't think you will get it any cheaper.

This might be of interest:

https://queenoftarot.com/tarot_decks/18

The Scarlet Imprint book looks very interesting.

Patrick
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Citizen

Patrick Booker 
Citizen

Some interesting material from Peter Mark Adams' website:

http://www.petermarkadams.com/sola-busca-tarot/

Patrick
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Citizen

Patrick Booker 
Citizen

This book looks fascinating for anyone using the Sola Busca. Links to the 'Alchemical Alxander'. I have never used this deck for divination, but I have used it for meditation.

Patrick
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Citizen

Michellehihi 
Citizen

Go look in the trading sub-forum, I have one for sale.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.