Tarot readings over Skype or Facetime?

JMI_Tarot

Has anyone ever done this? As a reader or as a client/querent?

Grizabella

I haven't done it with any kind of chat thing that allows for showing one's face, but back in the Yahoo messenger days I did use that for readings and it worked very well. Much better than email readings. It was in real time and it allowed for a much better interaction than email.

JMI_Tarot

I haven't done it with any kind of chat thing that allows for showing one's face, but back in the Yahoo messenger days I did use that for readings and it worked very well. Much better than email readings. It was in real time and it allowed for a much better interaction than email.

Thanks. I'm kind of surprised this isn't more of a "thing". I hear that there is a lot of online therapy going on these days through Skype and Facetime. Also a lot of language classes are done this way, a friend of mine teaches english this way.

Seems like it would work well for Tarot Reading.

Zephyros

I tried it once with a friend who lives overseas. I found it a bit frustrating since I refer to the cards during readings, and the person I was reading for couldn't see the table. I've done written readings here, but at least then the person can see the whole layout written down and can refer to it. With a camera I couldn't make it work.

JMI_Tarot

I tried it once with a friend who lives overseas. I found it a bit frustrating since I refer to the cards during readings, and the person I was reading for couldn't see the table. I've done written readings here, but at least then the person can see the whole layout written down and can refer to it. With a camera I couldn't make it work.

If you were using a tablet it would be possible to move it and show the cards, but I can see how until you had some kind of style down for doing that it could be super awkward.

I'm not sure how this would work, but I think its possible to have like a 3-way conference call with Skype, so it could be the Reader, the Querent, and the Cards, the latter having a phone or tablet fixed on them and the mic muted.

I don't think it would fit every situation, but it might be perfect like when, for example, someone has a "Tarot Emergency". Or for people who can't leave the house without great difficulty.

Grizabella

When I read for others, it's not that important that they see the actual cards. They just seek the answer to what the cards have to say and the card images don't matter that much, usually.

But why couldn't you just snap a shot of the spread and send it in the chat box like one would do on Facebook? That would allow the sitter to see the layout and comment on certain cards if they wanted to while still getting the reading in real time.

Some of us who use Tarot might be big on seeing the actual cards but the average person seeking out a reader to have a reading done, if they don't read the cards themselves, don't seem to mind not seeing the cards. And as a reader myself, I'm more interested in what the reader sees in the cards than in the card images themselves. :)

nisaba

Has anyone ever done this? As a reader or as a client/querent?

Yah, I'm not very good at it. I do *much* better face-to-face or by email. I can't quite explain why.

Zephyros

If you were using a tablet it would be possible to move it and show the cards, but I can see how until you had some kind of style down for doing that it could be super awkward.

I'm not sure how this would work, but I think its possible to have like a 3-way conference call with Skype, so it could be the Reader, the Querent, and the Cards, the latter having a phone or tablet fixed on them and the mic muted.

I don't think it would fit every situation, but it might be perfect like when, for example, someone has a "Tarot Emergency". Or for people who can't leave the house without great difficulty.

Sure, it can be done somehow, but the logistics involved would just take all the enjoyment out for me.

Holly doll

I do it quite regularly & don't have any issues with it - reading with an iPad or phone - can move it to see the reading. Any cards that need emphasising I lift up to the camera. If the client requests it, I take a photo & airdrop it to the msg. box in Skype

JMI_Tarot

I do it quite regularly & don't have any issues with it - reading with an iPad or phone - can move it to see the reading. Any cards that need emphasising I lift up to the camera. If the client requests it, I take a photo & airdrop it to the msg. box in Skype

Yeah, clearly it's not for everyone, but I think it's nice to see that it does work for some. I think there are a lot of possibilities that open up for readers and querents alike.

Before long I don't think it will be so unusual, and by then we'll probably be discussing the pros and cons of sending holograms of ourselves around for readings.