Rachel Pollack - Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot

Ambrosia

Hello all!

Who has this book? What are your thoughts?

I guess it's written more as a beginners guide, and is overshadowed by the well-known and popular 78 Degrees of Wisdom (which I also own), but I love the snappy way this one is written (let's face it, 78 Degrees isn't exactly a light read), all the colour pictures, and the way it 'doesn't necessarily' go into all the deeper stuff too much...yet it gives plenty of practical advice and tips for using and connecting with Tarot and its symbolism. I sometimes use both books together, they bounce off eachother quite nicely...

...anyway, what say you?

Yelell

I like it. It was one of my first tarot books maybe 15 years ago. There are a lot of comparisons between the same cards from several different decks, and I like the way the 3's, 4's, 5's etc of the different suits are grouped together and connected as opposed to the traditional separation by suit.

Ambrosia

I like it. It was one of my first tarot books maybe 15 years ago. There are a lot of comparisons between the same cards from several different decks, and I like the way the 3's, 4's, 5's etc of the different suits are grouped together and connected as opposed to the traditional separation by suit.

Yes I totally agree Yelell.
It was one of my first books going on 20 years ago now too, and I still find something interesting to delve into each time I pull it out.

I agree the numerology info for the minors is handy - I learned a lot from that in my early years with Tarot.

I also really like the little exercises and meditations and games you can do with the cards...

Cocobird55

I like it a lot -- looking at all those decks makes me happy.

gregory

I agree. I LOVE it - and it led me to the Kashmiri :)

Hedera

This was one of my first tarot books as well!

Yes, it's a lovely book, with lots of great images.
Interesting how some of the 'mainstream' decks shown there have gone oop in the meantime.