Ideas for Location Spread

Barleywine

As we all know, tarot isn't very effective for "when" questions, and even less so for "where" questions. I already took a stab at the "when" dilemma, and now I'm going after the "where." The attached spread is based on a "compass" model (East, North, West, South) and uses "place" associations from both natal and horary astrology. The way this would work would be to pick a significator in advance to represent the question (or use the "outcome" card from a previous reading), shuffle and deal out the cards counter-clockwise and face-up one at a time into the four positions, starting at East, until the significator turns up, then look at the possible location indicators for that position. I merged the meanings of the quadrants, so the "facing" notation means that, if a card's image is facing toward the next cardinal point, the entries marked (F) would also be relevant. In the East and North positions, that would be right-facing cards, and in the West and South positions, that would be left-facing cards. Cards with images facing away from the counter-clockwise flow or straight out of the picture would primarily involve the main entries. The cards in the significator's pack could also be read as a background story for what might be encountered at the most likely location(s).

I wracked my brain for every general "place" idea I could think of that would be not-too-broad and not-to-narrow for this purpose. If you have any ideas for additional entries, I would appreciate hearing them.

ETA: See Post #6 for an update to the spread.

Attachments

• Barley's Location Spread.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 640

Vey

As we all know, tarot isn't very effective for "when" questions, and even less so for "where" questions. I already took a stab at the "when" dilemma, and now I'm going after the "where." The attached spread is based on a "compass" model (East, North, West, South) and uses "place" associations from both natal and horary astrology. The way this would work would be to pick a significator in advance to represent the question (or use the "outcome" card from a previous reading), shuffle and deal out the cards counter-clockwise and face-up one at a time into the four positions, starting at East, until the significator turns up, then look at the possible location indicators for that position. I merged the meanings of the quadrants, so the "facing" notation means that, if a card's image is facing toward the next cardinal point, the entries marked (F) would also be relevant. In the East and North positions, that would be right-facing cards, and in the West and South positions, that would be left-facing cards. Cards with images facing away from the counter-clockwise flow or straight out of the picture would primarily involve the main entries. The cards in the significator's pack could also be read as a background story for what might be encountered at the most likely location(s).

I wracked my brain for every general "place" idea I could think of that would be not-too-broad and not-to-narrow for this purpose. If you have any ideas for additional entries, I would appreciate hearing them.

I am a bit dense and not quite sure I understand but I think it is a very interesting spread. I chose 4 wands as a significator and it came up on the left hand side of the board. Now on a compass that would be the west, but on your illustration, it is east. If it as you suggest, however, it would be at a relatives home, and that would be great news!

Barleywine

I am a bit dense and not quite sure I understand but I think it is a very interesting spread. I chose 4 wands as a significator and it came up on the left hand side of the board. Now on a compass that would be the west, but on your illustration, it is east. If it as you suggest, however, it would be at a relatives home, and that would be great news!

The model is based on the astrological chart from a northern hemisphere perspective, looking south to the ecliptic. Left (Ascendant) is east, right (Descendant) is west. This is the same model used in the standard astrological spread, in which the houses move counter-clockwise from the Ascendant. Since a compass points north, east would be toward the right, as you say. The concept of "compass points" wasn't intended to be literal.

Vey

Ah that makes sense.

Barleywine

A New Version

I just tweaked this spread for proposed publication in the ATA monthly newsletter. I finally sorted out my ideas on the impact of "facing" so it all holds together much better. Hemera, if you think it's appropriate, please replace the one in the Tarot Spreads Index with the attached improved version.

Attachments

• Sundial Location Spread.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 541

Hemera

Hemera, if you think it's appropriate, please replace the one in the Tarot Spreads Index with the attached improved version.
The link in the Index leads to this thread so the whole thread and all versions will be visible to all who click the link.
The link is in post #3 of the Index.