Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

euripides

Pros- It is RWS enough that it will provide a good reading

Cons- I think it will be annoying and too kitschy after a few uses unless you keep it as a seasonal deck.

Hmm unqualified enthusiasm from Rhinemaiden, and some useful food-for-thought from Padma. Pity about the thin cardstock.

I think if I can get it locally at a moderate price (not paying outrageous overseas postage), I'll get it - there are times when cute and light is definitely called for, but won't bust my budget for it.

(I have the Housewives and while it has a sense of humour and is cute, it's actually got quite a sharp, ironic edge to it, so it isn't a 'sweet' deck at all! Whereas this deck looks wholeheartedly light).

Carojulie

Hello,

Anyone can help me make a decision about the Starchild Akashic tarot ?

I used to NOT want it, because I thought it would just be another novelty photocollage deck / another whimsical pink and lilac deck.

And most of all because I have the Fountain tarot that I love, and I was under the feeling that the energy of these decks were similar (surrealist airy images / slightly distant cool feeling).
I felt that this slot was already well filled up by my Fountain tarot - I feared I would not use the Starchild much because I would always reach for the Fountain first, when in need of cooling airy energy.

But now I look at more images of the Starchild tarot, and I see that it seems to have a personality of its own.
Also, I heard several times how beautifuly made it was, how great cardstock.... this in particular speaks to my heart, because I am a sucker for luxuous thick fine cardstock.
So I am wondering if I would like to use this deck after all.

But the huge amount of pastel pinks and baby blues and light purples slightly deter me.

I welcome all thoughts on that matter !
Thank you !

Citrin

Carojulie:
I had the same hesitations as you about the Starchild Akashic. I was afraid it was just "pretty" and "trendy". When I finally took the plunge I was super nervous, because it is a very expensive deck, especially considering the shipping price...

I was very pleasantly surprised though! Today the Starchild Akashic is in my top 10 if not top 5 favorite tarot decks, and I have 50 ;)

It has a lot of depth, and for me it's more varied that I would've thought, it can be used for meditation, for questions about career, love, spirituality etc... The guidebook is quite small but one of the BEST ones I've ever read! For me this deck is easy reading intuitively but some minors are quite abstract, so knowing numerology and elemental associations is useful for me at least.

It's very high quality and luxurious for sure! Amazing packaging. I personally like thin card stock hehe so this one is a bit too thick and sturdy for me. But that's personal taste... ;) I think the new smaller sized deck would be easier for me to shuffle.

G6

Lumina VS. Starchild VS. Fountain

Any clear preferences on these three? I'm thinking Lumina seems similar to Wild Unknown. I see Fountain around the trade threads. Starchild seems more unique?

lantana

Any clear preferences on these three? I'm thinking Lumina seems similar to Wild Unknown. I see Fountain around the trade threads. Starchild seems more unique?

Lumina is very similar to the Wild Unknown, but with more people. Starchild is like a pink, more hipster-y sister of the Fountain Tarot.

Of the three, the Fountain is the only one I want to own, but I think all of them are good in their own right. Just depends on what you're looking for in a deck.

euripides

not buying, period.

I need de-enabling from basically all Tarot purchases because I just looked at my income against the board at my son's university and realized that I'm going to be broke for the next four years. *sigh* and there's some really, really lovely decks out there.

Perhaps this will be the year that I spend some quality time with the Blake.

G6

I need de-enabling from basically all Tarot purchases because I just looked at my income against the board at my son's university and realized that I'm going to be broke for the next four years. *sigh* and there's some really, really lovely decks out there.

Perhaps this will be the year that I spend some quality time with the Blake.

Someone did a cold turkey thread about going deep with the decks you already own. This sounds like a good plan if you want to invest your deck purchasing energy into a study schedule instead. Maybe at the end of the 4 years you will both have mastered something new.

G6

Lumina is very similar to the Wild Unknown, but with more people. Starchild is like a pink, more hipster-y sister of the Fountain Tarot.

Of the three, the Fountain is the only one I want to own, but I think all of them are good in their own right. Just depends on what you're looking for in a deck.

Yep, I have the new Wild Unknown, so Lumina seems redundant. I'm kind of more interested in Starchild over Fountain. I had the chance to trade for Fountain awhile ago, but I wasn't that interested. Starchild seems more corny in a way I like.

Linfang

I sold a deck and have now the funds to buy the Tarot Decoratif. Still, I am hesitating since shipping increases the total costs considerably. Is it just a novelty or a real workhorse deck?

Cocobird55

I sold a deck and have now the funds to buy the Tarot Decoratif. Still, I am hesitating since shipping increases the total costs considerably. Is it just a novelty or a real workhorse deck?

It's a beautiful deck, and I found it very easy to read with.