Page of Swords as someone's feelings

Pique Dame

Swords aren't the most warm-and-fuzzy of the cards for feelings, so how would you interpret this in a spread asking what A's feelings for B are? Swords are usually thoughts, ideas, and intellect more than emotions. And Pages are young, so there's obviously an aspect of immaturity or something being underdeveloped. This page appears to be rather cautious when brandishing his shiny new weapon, almost like he's curious what it can do, but also a little on guard and is standing ready to defend himself, if necessary. So, A's feeling cautious about B? Not ready to discuss feelings so holding that sword back? Or A is curious about B? The overall vibe I get is "interested but holding back/cautious." Pages are my weakest of all the court cards and Page of Swords is my weakest of all those, so I really need to get to know this card a little better.

tarot_quest

Distinction between an immature person and the beginning of something

Hi PiqueDame,

I think that we should make an important distinction between the person and the stage of an idea, when getting pages.

I agree that in most cases, pages represent a form of immaturity. However, is it the person that is intrinsically immature with their feelings or that their feelings are at a primitive stage (i.e. starting to be formed)?

I don't think that we should automatically think page = immaturity. So if we are purely talking about A's feeling towards B, I would think that they don't feel overly emotional about the person. A is starting to think about B and if some feelings appear once in a while, A will analyze them as something new.

If something has to develop between A and B, the feelings will not stay for a long time in a ''page of swords'' state ;)

Marsy

I view the page of swords as the least page to have feelings, simply put he doesn't not in a romantic way at least. His feelings are more so he wants to keep you away from him and he's on defense regarding you. He doesn't have much experience with the sword but the one thing he's sure of is that he knows it will keep anyone and anything away from him as no one would willingly confront someone with a big sword in their hand. Being able to defend himself and keep things from getting close to him is going to be his first thought in how he should use the sword.

Thirteen

An inclination to communicate

We might also want to remember that Swords = communications as well as thoughts. And instead of immaturity, let's say that the person is a "student" of their suit. They're inclined towards it (to be a thinker and a talker in the case of the Swords), but they have no finesse, no expertise in it. And, yes, I'd read it as a "beginning" or "start" kind of card, too.

Which is all to say, I don't think they're defensive. Like a kid with a new toy sword, they actually want to race out and show it off. Even though they've no idea what they're doing yet. Which is why I'd say that person A is feeling that they want to tell B all that is on their mind. No, they're not inclined towards sentimental feelings, nor do they want to discuss romance—but they have all kinds of ideas and thoughts. And though they may not have done so yet, or know how to do it just yet (they're a student, and still figuring it out), the inclination to communicate is there.

We should also remember that all suits involve emotions. That Cups are the only suit involving "emotions" is a misconception. Cups are about moody/mushy emotions. But there are all kinds of other emotions that belong to the other suits, like passion and temper for the Wands, pride and shame for the Pents. Swords can stand for anxiety and worries, on the one hand, but also feeling sharp and clear and acute. So, our Page/Sword (person A) may feel, when they're with B, sharpened, like this is a person who be great to fence with (discuss things with)—but they may also feel B is more skilled at fencing, and thus, have some anxiety about going forward with it.

Enlightenment23

In my readings, I've definitely seen the Page of Swords to certainly represent someone who is a bit defensive and distrustful of the other -- sort of like, "What's THIS guy about? STEP BACK! I don't know you yet!"

I've also seen the Page of Swords as a need to "vet" the person before feeling fully comfortable with them. They need to do their research, ask a few more questions, and once they are satisfied with the answers, then they will proceed to lower their sword.

velvet moon

In terms of feelings, for me, the page of swords has most often come up as self protective, oppressed feelings - that is, the beginning of them. This person is beggining to feel the itch to express their feelings and get some interaction in but they are holding back - mostly because they are over thinkers and self doubters the type to think "I'm sure he/she was flirting back ...but maybe I was wrong, I don't want to be humiliated'

the knight of wands can no longer hold back and will express in time, the king of swords is expert at expressing his feelings calculatingly.

the wands are the impulsive ones to me - they will express before even knowing how deep their feelings are- and retract them the next day.

Pique Dame

Tarot_quest and Thirteen, I guess I should have clarified that by “immature” I didn’t mean it in a negative way. More like not matured, i.e. in a larval stage. New and undeveloped.
I think that we should make an important distinction between the person and the stage of an idea, when getting pages.
I agree that in most cases, pages represent a form of immaturity. However, is it the person that is intrinsically immature with their feelings or that their feelings are at a primitive stage (i.e. starting to be formed)?
Yes, primitive is more of what I meant.
I don't think that we should automatically think page = immaturity. So if we are purely talking about A's feeling towards B, I would think that they don't feel overly emotional about the person. A is starting to think about B and if some feelings appear once in a while, A will analyze them as something new.
No, swords definitely don’t suggest anything overly emotional. Analytical is a good word.
If something has to develop between A and B, the feelings will not stay for a long time in a ''page of swords'' state ;)[/QUOTE] Presumably, they would grow to the next stage, a.k.a. the Knight?
I view the page of swords as the least page to have feelings, simply put he doesn't not in a romantic way at least. His feelings are more so he wants to keep you away from him and he's on defense regarding you. He doesn't have much experience with the sword but the one thing he's sure of is that he knows it will keep anyone and anything away from him as no one would willingly confront someone with a big sword in their hand. Being able to defend himself and keep things from getting close to him is going to be his first thought in how he should use the sword.
I view swords as the least “feel-y” of the suits but I don’t believe person A is trying to keep person B away from them at all. A might not be overly fond of feeling vulnerable there may be some guards up but no one’s being standoffish. For feelings, Pages usually represent newness, so feelings are present. If they weren’t, I’d think it would be a different card altogether.
We might also want to remember that Swords = communications as well as thoughts. And instead of immaturity, let's say that the person is a "student" of their suit. They're inclined towards it (to be a thinker and a talker in the case of the Swords), but they have no finesse, no expertise in it. And, yes, I'd read it as a "beginning" or "start" kind of card, too.
Yes, “student” is a good word. Like I said above, in the very early stages of development.
Which is all to say, I don't think they're defensive. Like a kid with a new toy sword, they actually want to race out and show it off. Even though they've no idea what they're doing yet. Which is why I'd say that person A is feeling that they want to tell B all that is on their mind. No, they're not inclined towards sentimental feelings, nor do they want to discuss romance—but they have all kinds of ideas and thoughts. And though they may not have done so yet, or know how to do it just yet (they're a student, and still figuring it out), the inclination to communicate is there.
So A is feeling the need to communicate what is on their mind? The other thing is that this Page is very eager to learn and is intellectually curious. Maybe A feels stimulated intellectually when talking to B?
We should also remember that all suits involve emotions. That Cups are the only suit involving "emotions" is a misconception. Cups are about moody/mushy emotions. But there are all kinds of other emotions that belong to the other suits, like passion and temper for the Wands, pride and shame for the Pents. Swords can stand for anxiety and worries, on the one hand, but also feeling sharp and clear and acute. So, our Page/Sword (person A) may feel, when they're with B, sharpened, like this is a person who be great to fence with (discuss things with)—but they may also feel B is more skilled at fencing, and thus, have some anxiety about going forward with it.
You think this Page (Person A) might feel a bit intimidated by B? (I’m going by the assumption that Person A is represented by the Page here.)
In my readings, I've definitely seen the Page of Swords to certainly represent someone who is a bit defensive and distrustful of the other -- sort of like, "What's THIS guy about? STEP BACK! I don't know you yet!"
I've also seen the Page of Swords as a need to "vet" the person before feeling fully comfortable with them. They need to do their research, ask a few more questions, and once they are satisfied with the answers, then they will proceed to lower their sword.
This is quite an interesting interpretation. I agree this Page’s face and stance suggest an air of being “on guard” but distrust doesn’t really fit here. Maybe person A trusts person B but doesn’t quite trust himself? I can see a need to “vet” the other, to feel them out and analyze them a bit more before they let their guard down.
In terms of feelings, for me, the page of swords has most often come up as self protective, oppressed feelings - that is, the beginning of them.
Self-protective is good. I’m not sure about oppressed exactly because, IMO, that may come up as something in reverse (a.k.a. “blocked”). Pages’ feelings are just beginning but they don’t seem to want to oppress them, I don’t think.
This person is begging to feel the itch to express their feelings and get some interaction in but they are holding back - mostly because they are over thinkers and self doubters the type to think "I'm sure he/she was flirting back ...but maybe I was wrong, I don't want to be humiliated'
Swords are definitely over-thinkers. So, this may be true, although I think of that more as the 9 of Swords (possibly 10 of Swords for “overkill”). That part about self-doubt is interesting. In other words, they are unsure if what they think is happening actually is so they’re reluctant to do/say anything about it.

I really appreciate all of the comments. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this card come up for feelings before and judging by the lack of search results, it doesn’t seem to be a common one for that, either. As I said, this is the card I understand the least of all 78. Being a water sign (although with an air sign rising), I find it hard to understand the cold hard logic of the swords archetypes. It’s something I can’t easily wrap my mind around and I tend to butt heads a lot with air signs since I can’t understand why they do some of the things they do. If the tarot was looking for a way to challenge me, it certainly did that here. 

tarot_quest

If something has to develop between A and B, the feelings will not stay for a long time in a ''page of swords'' state ;) Presumably, they would grow to the next stage, a.k.a. the Knight?

Hi PiqueDame,

I am surprised that there are no other posts about the page of swords in a feeling position! Good thing that you created one.

For your question, I personally strongly think that if two persons interact more on a daily basis and that something develops between them, the feelings will not stay for a long time in a ''page of swords position''. This is, according to me, part of a natural progression. So yes, feelings could hypothetically evolve towards a ''knight position'' or something else.

I find it interesting that several people mentioned defensiveness. I totally understand why this page could be associated with defensiveness. The fact that this page is at the beginning of his journey (whether it be to understand his emotions or something else) and that he uses a sword (the intellect) to filter information can trigger very different and sometimes opposite thoughts, hence defensiveness. When you are a student and attend to a class, you have to assimilate the ideology of different thinkers and at the same time, criticize them. So I see why the page would switch to different ideas an experience different thoughts/emotions, to finally decide where he is heading. It's part of his learning process.

Marsy

This is basically what I was trying to say but you said it a lot more in detail and I totally agree. For example the most recent reading I had the Page of Swords come up in feelings it was a woman wanting to know how her boyfriend's mother felt about her and your interpretation fits perfectly.

She sensed his mother wasn't too fund of her although she didn't really have any proof so when the Page of Swords came up for her feelings, it made perfect sense. It's not so much as his mother doesn't like her but that she is going to have to earn her acceptance as she's not going to just welcome her with open arms just because her son is smitten with her.

I've also had it come up with the person vetting the other person to see if the person they want to move forward with or not. In this situation the person was checking her social media and being the "spy" which describes the Page of Swords in the general sense. But yeah he was going behind her back checking things out that she's involved in and gathering info that would determine if he wanted to proceed forward with her or not.

I'm not surprised the Page of Swords isn't really talked about in the feelings capacity because as I stated it's really not a "feelings" card nor is it a good card to get in that position in my opinion and obviously it doesn't happen very often given the lack of inquiries. It doesn't have to be seen as bad but I personally wouldn't be interested in someone who had the Page of Swords as feelings for me. Sure there is the possibility they could warm up to you at some point but if there is mistrust or defensiveness regarding how a person feels about you, I don't see anything good coming out of that relationship. It's setting the stage for a toxic relationship.

The same way the mother having the page of swords feelings for the woman her son is dating. She might in time let her sword down and be more approachable but there will always be a bit of uncertainty about her in the back of her mind as people don't ever forget their first impression of someone. And if things don't work out, she'd happily tell her son "I told you so" because that distrust she felt for her would still be there although she might have lowered her guard just to not cause conflict between her and her son but It won't change how she really feels about her.

Pique Dame

I am surprised that there are no other posts about the page of swords in a feeling position! Good thing that you created one.
Well, there was one other thread I found (here: http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=150990) but it's quite old and not very informative. :(

For your question, I personally strongly think that if two persons interact more on a daily basis and that something develops between them, the feelings will not stay for a long time in a ''page of swords position''. This is, according to me, part of a natural progression. So yes, feelings could hypothetically evolve towards a ''knight position'' or something else.
Well, feelings are constantly developing and evolving. I just know Knight of Swords is definitely not a card I'd want to see when asking about someone's feelings. That might even feel more like a regression than a progression.

I find it interesting that several people mentioned defensiveness. I totally understand why this page could be associated with defensiveness. The fact that this page is at the beginning of his journey (whether it be to understand his emotions or something else) and that he uses a sword (the intellect) to filter information can trigger very different and sometimes opposite thoughts, hence defensiveness. When you are a student and attend to a class, you have to assimilate the ideology of different thinkers and at the same time, criticize them. So I see why the page would switch to different ideas an experience different thoughts/emotions, to finally decide where he is heading. It's part of his learning process.
I felt a defensive vibe he doesn't seem to be as inquisitive or curious as the other pages. He's the only one not looking directly at the object in his hand. In some illustrations, he looks downright fearful of what he might encounter.

This is basically what I was trying to say but you said it a lot more in detail and I totally agree. For example the most recent reading I had the Page of Swords come up in feelings it was a woman wanting to know how her boyfriend's mother felt about her and your interpretation fits perfectly.

She sensed his mother wasn't too fund of her although she didn't really have any proof so when the Page of Swords came up for her feelings, it made perfect sense. It's not so much as his mother doesn't like her but that she is going to have to earn her acceptance as she's not going to just welcome her with open arms just because her son is smitten with her.
This is a wonderful example of a real-life application of this card! The page here was still in the sizing up phase, not ready to welcome this person into their Circle of Trust just yet, although not completely against the idea.

I've also had it come up with the person vetting the other person to see if the person they want to move forward with or not. In this situation the person was checking her social media and being the "spy" which describes the Page of Swords in the general sense. But yeah he was going behind her back checking things out that she's involved in and gathering info that would determine if he wanted to proceed forward with her or not.
Hmm...now that's interesting. I actually get a lot wands cards (6 and courts) when someone's been doing some social media stalking, but I can see how the Page of Swords would mean gathering intel.

I'm not surprised the Page of Swords isn't really talked about in the feelings capacity because as I stated it's really not a "feelings" card nor is it a good card to get in that position in my opinion and obviously it doesn't happen very often given the lack of inquiries. It doesn't have to be seen as bad but I personally wouldn't be interested in someone who had the Page of Swords as feelings for me. Sure there is the possibility they could warm up to you at some point but if there is mistrust or defensiveness regarding how a person feels about you, I don't see anything good coming out of that relationship. It's setting the stage for a toxic relationship.
Well, I think every situation is different and, of course, a lot depends on the context. It might not necessarily be a matter of mistrust but rather someone's reluctance to do so for whatever reason.