Negative aspects of positive cards

Ruby Jewel

I'm wondering if reversals were always read, or if they are something that came onto the scene later.

I recently decided to go with Nancy Shavick on reversals....don't bother with them anymore because for me, the negative is inherent in all of them. I think the surrounding cards and clarifiers offer more clarity than reversals. For instance, with the Aces, I just say,the potential is there, but there is no guarantee the seed will sprout whether it is upright or reversed. If the Ace were reversed, it is still an ace....as for timing, I don't think there is any such thing as "time" in the tarot...I tend to think of them in the Jungian sense of 'sychronicity'. In the world of archetypal energy, there is no such thing as linear time...

If you look at the current post on "Can the 5 of Swords have a loveable quality" you will see what I mean. You can pretty much find whatever you want to see in a card. It doesn't seem to matter if it is reversed or not, in and of itself..it takes surrounding energy or a clarifier to bounce off of.

I should add here that Shavik appears to follow Israel Regardie's protocol regarding the image on the card. For example, what is the orientation of the image on the card...including people, as well as cups, swords, wands...ie, which way they point. If the card comes up reversed, it works the same...what is the orientation of the image...not the card.

jarlbi

You have to look at the decan in the astrological chart, and the number 10. The decan is under the Queen of Swords in the 7th house of Virgo opposing the 12th house of Pisces, which is ruled by Neptune....the planet and house that dissolves. Both houses are mutable, which implies instability. There is nothing stable in any of the 10s as far as I can tell as they fall under the Knights and the mutable domains. Also, 10 is the ending of a phase. It is explained in "Tarot: Beyond the Basics" by Anthony Louis, and also in "Tarot and Astrology" by Corrine Kenner.
Wow! Thank you. I will look into this!

jenster

A lot of people have made specific examples of this with cards but on a more general note there is the fact that the positive meaning is all you get, not what you would attach to that meaning and not would you consider normal would come with it.

So when you ask about someone's feelings for you (to name a common question) while you might find confirmation that the person does have them (the feelings) and they are even romantic this doesn't mean they will act on them, even when they're strong. It also doesn't mean they will act on them in a way that makes sense to the querent, or in a way that they will be understood with what they are. So while someone might feel the regret of The Five of Cups for having wronged you they might do nothing (not even apologize) for you to ever see that.

The added uncertainty of asking about other people's feelings is that you don't know how those feelings make them act/react.

The fragility of the Aces is a good example of good cards that don't necessarily mean as much as we want them to. They are seeds and too much has to not go wrong for them to grow. So much that often that's all we ever see of them.

Adriana

Ace of cups has for me meant tears, a day just crying because of a break up. Its about those soft emotional feelings. And they can either be good or bad.
The 10's about endings which can also be good or bad. The issue has reached its max.

Ruby Jewel

A lot of people have made specific examples of this with cards but on a more general note there is the fact that the positive meaning is all you get, not what you would attach to that meaning and not would you consider normal would come with it.

So when you ask about someone's feelings for you (to name a common question) while you might find confirmation that the person does have them (the feelings) and they are even romantic this doesn't mean they will act on them, even when they're strong. It also doesn't mean they will act on them in a way that makes sense to the querent, or in a way that they will be understood with what they are. So while someone might feel the regret of The Five of Cups for having wronged you they might do nothing (not even apologize) for you to ever see that.

The added uncertainty of asking about other people's feelings is that you don't know how those feelings make them act/react.

The fragility of the Aces is a good example of good cards that don't necessarily mean as much as we want them to. They are seeds and too much has to not go wrong for them to grow. So much that often that's all we ever see of them.

I think you have brought up a valid and important point here. I see the tarot as depicting the energy surrounding a person....their aura. The seed of the ace does not necessarily sprout unless it gets watered. As I see it, the tarot doesn't predict anything at all it simply suggests possible, feasible, options...our lives remain in our hands...

jenster

I think you have brought up a valid and important point here. I see the tarot as depicting the energy surrounding a person....their aura. The seed of the ace does not necessarily sprout unless it gets watered. As I see it, the tarot doesn't predict anything at all it simply suggests possible, feasible, options...our lives remain in our hands...

Yes and we should be a bit more careful when reading for others too because of it, not just because we're all still learning.

Ruby Jewel

Yes and we should be a bit more careful when reading for others too because of it, not just because we're all still learning.

Hello! It is nice to know another person on the planet thinks like I think.