Reading for yourself could be dangerous?

Leila_selda

Yeah youre absolutly right.

People should be free to believe in what they want.
And i think its a very nice personal traid of yours to tell people not to pressure there spirtual believe on other people. I wish there were more people like that. Then there wouldent be lots of religion wars lol. You dont have to say sorry for sharing your opinion. I think its very cool that you do. More people should do that.
I like a lot of wiccans, but like every religion, you do get the odd one or two people, who think their way is the only way. And those people can be very vocal about their belief in the 'law of three', which if someone believes that, fine, but they need to be aware that other people are free not to believe it. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine, lol

Leila_selda

Hi DaughterOfDanu,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes i also heard that to. That you cant read for yourself. Because the tarot is meant to read for others. I also think that is bull.

I also agree with you that it depends on the readers perspective on the cards.
And ofcourse on how well the reader recieves the message of the cards.
If they read it like very negative meaby they can get tired of it or depressed. Thats the only danger i would know of.

Well im glad to hear you had positive experiences with reading for yourself.
I don't see any real danger in reading for yourself. I've heard the superstition that it can't be done, but again I disagree.

The only risk I've come across is how personal bias and point of view come into play with a reading. It sometimes pays to be emotionally removed when doing readings. But then again I've had times where I felt being emotionally invested in a reading helped too.

That bias can make doing readings for yourself confusing and unclear at times. But other than that I've never known of any danger.

Gwynydd

Yeah youre absolutly right.

People should be free to believe in what they want.
And i think its a very nice personal traid of yours to tell people not to pressure there spirtual believe on other people. I wish there were more people like that. Then there wouldent be lots of religion wars lol. You dont have to say sorry for sharing your opinion. I think its very cool that you do. More people should do that.

Thanks :) It's something that has come up a few times this week for me. I had someone recently ask me, 'can I use tarot cards with oracle cards? My tarot teacher said if I do that, it means I'm insecure about the tarot answers, if I'm adding oracle cards'. And it was something she really wanted to do, and didn't personally see anything wrong with.

Leila_selda

Hi Amigone,

Thank you for your reply.

Thats a interesting wives tale about reciving a deck, never heard that one before lol.

Yes i agree with you. That reading to often could have its tole on you. I think your energy would be low if your reading to often or can get very obessed with it. Like you really need the tarot to make choices. That you dont use your own free will to change or do something.because your so dependent on the cards.

Well i dont read daily. I only read once in a while. And when i read i only do a 4 card spread. The celtic thing or more cards is way confusing for me lol. Cuz im still learning.

I think its very good that you read once in 3 days for keepig your tarot skills sharp. That makes you a great tarot reader !
I feel like someone told me that a long time ago too. I think it's an old wives tale like "You should only use a deck you received as a gift". As far as it being a Wiccan thing, I don't think so. None of the books I've read on Wicca say you shouldn't read for others (I am not Wiccan though).

I think a more practical statement is to not read for yourself too often. So don't lay out a ten card spread for yourself daily! But I think a daily card draw is fine. And if you want to do a massive reading for yourself every day, well it's your life :)

I do large readings for mysekf once a month and then small 1-3 card readings every few days (2-3 days) as it keeps me sharp since I don't get out much.

Leila_selda

Your welcome ;)

Oh my. That makes a person insecure when a teacher says to its student that they are not allowed to do things. Specially when the student likes to do it. I agree with you i dont see any harm in it eather. I think when you add oracle cards it can help clarify the reading. I think its very awesome you inspire her to do what she likes to do.
Thanks :) It's something that has come up a few times this week for me. I had someone recently ask me, 'can I use tarot cards with oracle cards? My tarot teacher said if I do that, it means I'm insecure about the tarot answers, if I'm adding oracle cards'. And it was something she really wanted to do, and didn't personally see anything wrong with.

Citrin

I've done it for 13 years and so far no negative side effects. So yeah... :p

Shade

As a Wiccan I can say that we have no precepts against reading for yourself - I would say it's encouraged. Across the religion there are only a few shared philosophies but they include:

"An' if harm none, do what ye will."

And from the charge of the Goddess:

"If that which you seek you find not within yourself, you will never find it without."

That last one for me pretty strongly encourages us to read for ourselves to find answers.

S.B.

The only risk I've come across is how personal bias and point of view come into play with a reading. It sometimes pays to be emotionally removed when doing readings. But then again I've had times where I felt being emotionally invested in a reading helped too.

That bias can make doing readings for yourself confusing and unclear at times. But other than that I've never known of any danger.

This was the only issue I encountered reading for myself when I first started on my path. I still sometimes struggle to detach emotionally from such readings.

BlueSun

... And what choices they make after the reading. ... Its about the actions you take wheater good or bad cards came up.

Yes, this is where it can get dangerous. Read my comment in the thread "Reading Tarot in the Hospital". If one's decision on medical treatment is based on card results, then it can be dangerous. How much does one trust the cards to make life and death decisions on based on them?

Barleywine

I don't read much for myself any more because my life has settled to the point that I don't get much value from it. I have a small-scale professional practice now, and I have my participation here to keep me busy as well, so except for the daily draw I've been doing to test my "behavioral architecture" spread, I don't bother with it. The only danger might be in taking my own advice! :joke: