thinking stars & cards

lunalafey

this is one of those idea 'flashes'....Holmes was looking for an astrological deck....I have no seen one that really hits on the planets and signs...
so I have been throwing around ideas.
A card for each planet & each sign =22..{just like majors}
now....I at first thought about the planet sign combo...but then that would produce a deck with over 100 cards....so I figured....each planet in each element, that's + 40.....then possibly the 8 phases of the Moon.....total 70 cards....
but what about houses?.....12 more cards?
In what way would you structure a deck on astrology. I posted here because of the specific interest in those that come to this corner of the
forum.
For the most part this is for fun, but there is the possibility of the Universe grabbing hold......
So what's your thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

meatbox666

WOW!!

Here is my two cents. There should be cards that depict the aspects of the planets like:
Conjunct
Inconjunct
Opposition
Trine Sextile
That makes four more added to the deck. Uh wait. I would have the seventy eight tarot cards to represent situations, people, months, days, and spiritual matters/ planets and ascendant. I would have cards to represent the asteroids. Vesta, etc. For the houses I would use the tarot deck. First house will be all of the Aces. The second all of the twos.
let me illustrate the first house using all of the aces /magician in the deck. The first house is usually what you appear to be to the world. So, say if the Ace of cups fell there upright then i would say the person is friendly/loving/ etc. The first house is where you find the ascendant so if in the ascendat position the ace of coins fell, I would say this person would look sort of short with dark brown hair and always seemss(not necassarily the case he may be in debt) seems to have cash and will likley dress really nice and eat well.
Anyone else?

Rusty Neon

Astrological Oracle decks

Besides the new Oracle of the Radiant Sun (which consists of cards rendering all the possible combinations of the 'old planets' with the twelve signs), an interesting deck is the 52-card Astronomical Cards from Piatnik. The Astronomical Cards deck is a reproduction of a G. Hodges deck, circa 1828. On each card there are number/suit indications on the top left and right bottom corners and in the middle there is generally a drawing relating to one of the constellations (including constellations of the zodiac) or planets. Each Ace represents one of the four seasons. Each court card represents a Greek god or a fabulous animal.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to relate much to it as I can't easily think up divinatory meanings for the various non-zodiac constellations.

Astraea

Symbolon

The Symbolon deck can be used to illustrate all manner of astrological permutations, but oh, is it cumbersome and labor-intensive! For in-depth astrological work, nothing beats a horoscope -- but decks with astrological themes can be very informative, and a general understanding of astrology deepens one's understanding of tarot.

scorpio

i have the "the enchanted astrologer" deck by monte farber and amy zerner which feature 36 cards. twelve are signs of the zodiac, twelve are planets, and twelve are the houses in an astrological chart. the cards are in the familar collage style of zerner and the book is written in a style that would be excellent for beginners to learn astrology. their recommendation is to use the deck to pull one card to answer a question, no other spreads are given and their is a basic description for each card followed by the card meaning for love/relationships or wealth/success or work/career. its a kinda fun deck.

dadsnook2000

Aspects may not need to be included.

Hello. This topic is of interest to me. Relative to "aspects" being depicted within the cards, there may not be a need to link a specific aspect to a specific card. I use the Horoscope or House spread -- 12 card positions in a circle -- for some of my Tarot questions. When I find two or three cards of the same number or same suite adjacent to each other I treat them as a conjunction. I follow a similar approach for squares, trines or oppositions. Having an emphasis on a suite, many or none, can suggest a tone in terms of the balance of elements. There can sometimes be hemisphere emphasis. The Major Aracana cards, based on their illustration content, can be linked to the aspectual approach or (and I have not used this approach) can use traditional "astrological" assignments such as given in the Troth deck. I have not yet accepted the traditional (and convonluted in MHO) astrolgical assignments that are more or less familiar and presented in books such as Astrology & the Tarot (A.E. Thierens) or The Devine Triangle (Bunker, Javane). My problem is that the idea of a number having a strong association with a planet seems to me to be weakly argued. While I can accept a planet having an affinity with Fire, Earth, Air or Water, that doesn't seem to be exclusively so as the expression of a planet depends upon many things. I look forward to this thread continuing to unwind. Dave.

lunalafey

Meatbox, ya' gave me some pretty good food for thought, THX.

Dads....Interesting point to mention about the cards aspecting in a zodiac spread, never thought it quite that way.

I agree there is no need for aspets and that numbers have no place in this 'deck idea' {don't even have a prospetive title for it}
Aspects are invisible and an occurance, I feel the cards need to represent the more tangable side... I've thrown out the idea of the moon phases,{not gone for good, they could return, maybe just full and new?}
I'm not trying to fit into the traditional 78 cards, there should not be limitations put on the creative process.
I'm thinking now, {subject to change}
22 cards depicting the planets and signs
and elemental suits....'ace' being the element, then planets in the order of thier relative speed around the zodiac;
Moon in water, Moon in fire...Merc. in earth etc.
ending with, ? maybe, the Ascendant, maybe..
so that's 12 cards per suit.
...but the houses....I still want to figure those in, as being specific areas in life...so 12 more cards..
still rolling it around, keep the input coming.

Minderwiz

I think the idea of trying to create a deck for the purpose is the best way forward - trying associations with Tarot or Tarot structure works well at some levels but eventually breaks down because of the subtlety and indeed multiple interpretations open to many Astrological phenomena.

The big problem as I see it is how to keep the deck manageable whilst still trying to keep a strong link to Astrology. Dad's use of spread and relationships between card positions seems a good way forward here - transfer some of the complexity to the spread rather than trying to incorporate it all into the deck. Aspects are after all positional relationships within the wheel of the Zodiac so positional relationships within the spread could make a good substitute. The only problem being it limits the number of spread that you can use the deck for.

One other way might be to have 'sub decks' The Moon Oracle attempts to do this, building up meanings from card combinations. Its not one of my favourite Oracles, coz I could never really get the hang of it but it does suggest a possible way forward.

The relationship of planets to numbers has a very long history - the Greeks (who seem first to have used letters to represent numbers) related the seven visible planets to the seven vowels in their alphabet. The idea also was taken over by the Cabbalists, so its one thing that does need addressing - even if its only to make an explicit break. I tend to agree with Dad in the sense that whilst there is probably a majority belief that numbers and planets are associated there seems no general agreement on how the numbering system should work for planets. If you are going to keep a number/planet link then you need to be happy that there is both consistency and meaning to the order you use, even if it is very different from many of the others.

Good luck and keep us informed :)

dadsnook2000

Another idea on using "astrological" tarot cards.

Don't throw away your moon phases idea just yet. Three card spreads are very popular and managable. They are also easy to "test" for purposes of developing a system such as that which you have in mind. Many of us have read Rudyar's moon phase ideas and also incorporate them into our practice. Some two decads ago an astrologer, Marc Robertson of Seattle, WA, USA, extended the use of "phases" to several planetary combinations: Sun & Moon (core personality), Saturn & Moon (approach to social responsibility and constraints), Mercury & Jupiter (mental approach to life), Venus & Mars (sensuality) and Jupiter & Saturn (social involvement and balance). Using a three card spread wherein the cards reflected an approach to expressing the base planet (slowest moving), expressing the phase, and expressing the faster-moving planet one could explore a querents basic personality (Sun-Moon), emotional response mechanisms (Moon-Saturn), Mentality (Jupiter-Mercury), Sensuality (Venus-Mars), and Socialness (Saturn-Jupiter). This could, of course be applied to any personality focus such as Imagination (Neptune-Mars) or Spirituality (Neptune-Mercury) or however one wanted to define planet combinations. The only issue here is not if this would work (it would, given the fluid and intuitive expression of the Tarot process) but to develop a firm system of linking cards to astrological planets -- and, possibly, sensitive points. Dave.

lunalafey

Hmmm...more food for thought......I think what I will do is go and get 200 index cards, make groups of signs, planets, moon phases, aspects (yes, aspects) {big group} planets in signs(rather than just the element), houses, I could keep going....maybeI should get 300 cards.....that should keep me busy...lol....