Harry Potter: Who had what deck?

HallowedNight

Oh, man, me, too! They would have probably enchanted it so that the cards in a spread would act out the reading, even interacting with each other. THAT would be something to see.

I would love that sooo much! I wish actual tarot decks did that, I'd love to see my Fantastical Creatures all interacting. :^P

thorhammer

I love on this thread pretty hard, I have to say. Fun concept...lemme have a go.

Dolores Umbridge - sorry, you're all wrong. She's a stickler for rules, so RWS clones are her bag. When she reads for herself (well, when she spies on everyone else), she uses the Baroque Bohemian Cats (my sympathies, greggers) and they talk to her and whisper-meow all the gossip to her. She's particular friends with the 2 of Swords who she's always trying to corrupt, and criticises her for her dress being yellow (of course she has the first edition, and of course the dress should be pink!). When she reads for others, she uses the Hanson-Roberts, whose Pollyanna-sweetness masking spiteful truths, easily misconstrued, complements Umbridge's own manipulative manner.

Moaning Myrtle - oh, how she loves to wallow in her sweet sadness! How she revels in the dusk of her tragically foreshortened life, inflicting the bittersweet scent of the dark lands on those still living! What deck could be better than the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight for her?

Sirius Black - the cosmopolitan, devastatingly handsome and slightly foppish rogue loves to dance on the edge of madness, and quietl delights in shocking those around him. Of course, he uses the Book of Kaos Tarot for his readings, which are loud, fast, and barely comprehensible.

Minerva MacGonagall - thoroughly respectable but with a tightly-wound sensual and rebellious streak, the Professor enjoys some quiet time with her Victorian Romantic Gold.

Alastor Moody - he likes to keep you off balance,and he also loves the insight he gets from a collaborative deck. The readings he gives with the 78 Tarot are unsettling and take the form of horrible warnings.

Luna Lovegood - I can see her having several decks, for her whimsical moods. One of them is a beautifully trimmed and diminutive Tarot of a Moon Garden, which she uses when she's sad. When she's happy or reading for someone else, she uses the Merryday Tarot. However, I have to say this is astonishingly apt:
Shade said:
Luna Lovegood has a copy of the counterculture Tarot that she occasionally adds cards from other decks into.
nice call.

Gilderoy Lockheart - he loves his Initiatory Tarots of the Golden Dawn. All those cartoon-beautiful people.

jcwirish

Yes! Umbridge with the Baroque Bohemian Cats, and totally by the book. If that nasty intuition tries to sneak its way in, she shuts it down!

Girl Archer

For some reason I see Ginny with an old Morgan Greer, no particular reason really.

I could definitely see her with that :grin: You know what I realized while we were having these discussions? Ginny is basically like James, and Harry has more of his mother in him though he may look exactly like James Potter. Ginny is an action oriented feeler, that's why I suggested oracles, but I think you are definitely on to something here, jcwirish :thumbsup:

I agree. I kind of felt like Rowling phoned in the last book. It read like her heart wasn't in it anymore and she couldn't be bothered, so just spit out whatever the first things that came to her were. Quite disappointing.

And to quit hijacking my own thread (which I don't care if we do actually...), I think Lenormands would fit her well. Or a plain old Rider. See? I don't know enough about her to pick a deck for her with any certainty either.

Whatever deck it is, make sure it's one of those plastic ones that can withstand butterbeer spills and goat pee. - :grin: Made me LOL hard!

I think the pressure got to her. That is probably why Casual Vacancy sunk, and why the Robert Galbraithe novels were such a hit. Do you suppose the Galbraithe novels would have enjoyed such success had we known it's her? Success puts tremendous expectations, and sometimes you can't please 'em all, or while trying to do so, you end up leaving some very important arcs, like the ones I mentioned earlier. She did mention in an earlier interview that she only realized towards Book 4 how powerful she had made Hermione out to be, and how "electric" Harry and Hermione's bond was becoming with each passing book. So, I guess she tried to fit Ginny in, ended up cutting corners.

Back to Ginny again, I am not sure if someone mentioned this but I can imagine young, Harry-obsessed Ginny with a Vanessa Tarot.

Do you suppose Fred and George might use the Halloween Deck?

P.S. Thorhammer, you made some brilliant observations :D

LindaMechele

Right? Has to be an old copy that's pretty ratty and none of that high gloss shine found in the newer editions.
Definitely. And it was given to her by her mother because, after the incident with Voldemort's diary, she's a little snakebit about accepting items of a personal nature unless she knows and trusts the giver implicitly.

I would love that sooo much! I wish actual tarot decks did that, I'd love to see my Fantastical Creatures all interacting. :^P
They totally can! In your mind! I just did it and it's like the advice you see so often to "tell a story with the cards", but I turned that around to let the cards tell me the story. :lightbulb:!:

I did a reading yesterday on some problems I've been having lately and at first I couldn't make sense of it. I came back to it last night and it made more sense, but still didn't really feel right. The layout was the Queen and King of Wands flanking the Nine of Swords with the Three of Cups on the far right - I imagined the Queen and King leaving their cards to go to the Nine of Swords, each gently grasping an arm of the sorrowful woman and helping her to sit up on the side of her bed. They sat next to her, on either side, offering encouragement to get stuff done, telling her she CAN do this and to please let them help. The Three of Cups women arrived with smiles of support and cups of "courage from a bottle". It really clarified the message, adding some nuances I hadn't seen before but were right there, ones I so needed to see. I totally get it now, and it feels wholly and thoroughly right, so right that I've already acted on the advice and things are looking up.

Sirius Black - the cosmopolitan, devastatingly handsome and slightly foppish rogue loves to dance on the edge of madness, and quietl delights in shocking those around him. Of course, he uses the Book of Kaos Tarot for his readings, which are loud, fast, and barely comprehensible.
But he still keeps his copy of the Manara under the mattress, reading with it only when he's thinking of me ... or when I come over ... :p:shhh:

LindaMechele

I think the pressure got to her.
I do think you're right. I'd had that thought when I was only a few chapters into the last book, and have held on to it since. I just wish she hadn't caved, instead handling it like George R. R. Martin, taking the tack of "Y'all can complain all you like about it taking me so long to write the next book, but it won't make any difference. It'll take as long as it takes for it to be good."

That is probably why Casual Vacancy sunk, and why the Robert Galbraithe novels were such a hit. Do you suppose the Galbraithe novels would have enjoyed such success had we known it's her?
ACH! I'm so behind the times! I have yet to read any of those, knew she was writing more books but didn't know they'd been published. *off Linda goes to Ebay to get them*

Success puts tremendous expectations, and sometimes you can't please 'em all, or while trying to do so, you end up leaving some very important arcs, like the ones I mentioned earlier.
Yep. I wish GRRMartin would have called her to give her a pep talk, helped her stand her ground and withstand the pressure.

She did mention in an earlier interview that she only realized towards Book 4 how powerful she had made Hermione out to be, and how "electric" Harry and Hermione's bond was becoming with each passing book. So, I guess she tried to fit Ginny in, ended up cutting corners.
Yep again, and those corners that were cut were glaring because she hadn't cut ANY before. There's those expectations in action.

Back to Ginny again, I am not sure if someone mentioned this but I can imagine young, Harry-obsessed Ginny with a Vanessa Tarot.
Ha! I just got an image of him doing reading after reading on "Does she like me?", "What does she think of me?", "What did she mean by _____?", "Will we be together foreverandeverandever?" *cue bluebirds carrying ribbons and unicorns farting rainbows*

I just reread some info on Ginny and had forgotten that Harry had taken a liking to her in previous books. I really need to reread the books. That's one nice side effect of getting older - you can reread your favorite books and you've forgotten enough that it's almost like you're reading them again for the first time. :joke:

Do you suppose Fred and George might use the Halloween Deck?
Of course they did. Along with the Kilted Rubber Chicken someone else mentioned. And someone asked who would use the Phantasmagoric Theater - Fred and George!

Girl Archer

Yep. I wish GRRMartin would have called her to give her a pep talk, helped her stand her ground and withstand the pressure.

Good, he didn't else Voldemort's death might have been a lot more gorier (not that I'd mind Harry chopping off his head with the Sword of Gryffindor, and the blood spatter across Harry's robes and the battle field would have been a right delight for Dexter (Morgan)) and there would be more deaths than the ones that already happened. Ron would have probably been stabbed through the eye with a Cutting Curse, and he would have died in his attempt to save Hermione or his family. I have never read GoT or watched it of course. However, him helping her stay grounded, I approve of.

Ha! I just got an image of him doing reading after reading on "Does she like me?", "What does she think of me?", "What did she mean by _____?", "Will we be together foreverandeverandever?" *cue bluebirds carrying ribbons and unicorns farting rainbows*

I just reread some info on Ginny and had forgotten that Harry had taken a liking to her in previous books. I really need to reread the books. That's one nice side effect of getting older - you can reread your favorite books and you've forgotten enough that it's almost like you're reading them again for the first time. :joke:

I probably should have worded it better. What I meant is Ginny, in her younger years when SHE was obsessed with Harry would have read with Vanessa. A he loves me, he loves me not type reading and she would probably beat the ratty old deck to death with that question and subsequent ones like, will he ever notice me? will he love me? will I marry Harry? and such stuff... ;) I completely agree with you on the pleasure of re-reading books. It is a magic that defies explanation :)

Of course they did. Along with the Kilted Rubber Chicken someone else mentioned. And someone asked who would use the Phantasmagoric Theater - Fred and George!

I believe that was me that asked the question, and thanks for answering :D Hope you enjoy your newest purchases, Linda !

LindaMechele

Good, he didn't else Voldemort's death might have been a lot more gorier (not that I'd mind Harry chopping off his head with the Sword of Gryffindor ... I have never read GoT or watched it of course. However, him helping her stay grounded, I approve of.
HA! I haven't read his books yet either (though they are all sitting on a shelf, awaiting their turn), but have read enough of the hooplah to see how fitting your comments are!

I probably should have worded it better.
Nah, I should have read it better. Reading comprehension fail. Now that I think of Ginny being the one, and given the teenage girl stereotypes, definitely rainbow-farting unicorns were involved.

I completely agree with you on the pleasure of re-reading books. It is a magic that defies explanation :)
Completely. I'm rereading Pratchett's Discworld at the moment. I'd not read all but had read some twenty-odd years ago, so I'm having a blast with them now.

Hope you enjoy your newest purchases, Linda !
Thanks for the headsup on them!