Celtic Cross - drawing in a different order?

siriuschip

Hello all, thank you for your responses!

I have always drawn my CC spreads as

1 - querent
2 - crossing
3 - past (on right)
4 - below
5 - future (left)
6 - crown
....rest as commonly seen

Does anyone else do this?
I dont know where I picked this up but it feels right to me.
Thoughts?

DDwarks

If it works for you stick with it. Some people work with their own spreads rather than the standard/traditional ones. Some people are happy with traditional spread layouts.
Whatever makes sense to you x

Grizabella

If you're read Dusty White's book, Advanced Tarot Secrets, maybe you got it from there. I lay out the spread that way, too. It has smoother flow than the regular way.

Etene

Keep what you want from the cards clear in your mind, especially if you want to change the meanings a little to better suit the question. If you begin mixing up in your head which order you want the cards and where you place them, a mix up is what you will receive.

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, siriuschip!

I have over 30 different iterations of the Celtic Cross saved in my Spreads database. Some of the iterations have different names for the positions, some have the cards laid out in a different order and some have both changes. If that's the version of the CC that resonates most with you, that's the version you should use regardless of what works for others.

Rodney

siriuschip

Thanks for the many responses!
This layout makes the most sense to me, nice to know Im not the only one :)

Barleywine

If you're read Dusty White's book, Advanced Tarot Secrets, maybe you got it from there. I lay out the spread that way, too. It has smoother flow than the regular way.

Yes, the flow is the thing (as opposed to the more static "Sign of the Cross" layout method offered by Waite)! I also like a clockwise flow for past/presemt/future since it emulates the daily path of the Sun in the sky, but I start at the "midnight" position (card #3 at the bottom) as decribed by Eden Gray, rather than at the right-hand "sunset" position, since the "root of the matter" is often somewhat shrouded. Thus, the revelatory timeline emerges above the "horizon" at the left-hand "sunrise" position ("recent past"), culminates at "noon" (under the "full light of day," so to speak) in what I think of as the "present" (as does Anthony Louis and probably others), and comes to momentary rest at "sunset" (the "near future"). I hope that's not too confusing; for me it makes for a neat symbolic parallel to the solar panorama, dark-to-light, as well as echoing the left-to-right, past-to-future flow of many "line-reading" layouts.

rylla

When I hold a tarot deck in my hand for the first time, wondering how a spread could look like (before I have ever read one word about spreads) I placed the cards as:

1.me or the subject
2. Above
3. Below
4. Behind
5. In front of me

The first book on tarot I opened described the celtic cross, with meaning very much alike to what I used. I was so surprised and I thought: yah, tarot is for me! This placement might not have the same flow as when you place the cards in an order described in so many books, but due to this 'incident' I kept this way of placing the cards in the CC spread. It works for me.

Whatever works for you is OK!