Best daily practices

dianekay

Filing

Yes, Regardie uses the filing cabinet example. I'm reading A Garden of Pomegranates--it's in chapter three in this book.

dianekay

And I should add that I'm finding my TOL study (Regardie, at this point) extremely helpful--I read with my Thoth deck in hand! Thanks, everyone, for the suggestion.

Beira

Hello!
If you have decided to start from the quabalistic attributions, then Dusty is not your teacher of choice since he makes a point of keeping quabala out of his buisness.
I am still studying it myself, reading Dion Fortune's Mystical Quabalah in this period.
I tried my hand at Regardie's Garden of Pomegranates, that I consider precious.
I must say tho, that when it comes with dealing with the single Sephirot, Fortune's descriptions are more meaty, since Regardie mainly gives you a list of attributions leaving to you the working out of whys and hows. I find Regardie more advanced because of this, since getting bk to his attributions after knowing a little more on the sephirot I find more connections..
My 2 cents.

As for our practice, we could still draw a couple of cards, work out their quabalah and then find a "From here to there" connection between them..
This cannot be a daily practice for me tho, since it takes far longer than Dusty's exercises, but I do think that it would be more interesting too. More a "once a week" draw, and then coming bk during the week with quabalistic meanings and "fusion" of the two cards.
Does it sound interesting?

I would really love to have someone "live" to practice with: I am following old threads here, on other subjects as well, and they are great, but part of the trick is comparing ideas..
I hope we start something up!

dianekay

To be honest, I'm feeling awkward about commenting on someone else's reading because I would naturally read differently than you and vice versa. There doesn't seem to be one right way of interpreting cards together, especially since I read kind of intuitively. So I'm kind of at a loss here, more than I thought I would be when we first discussed these exercises. It feels like I'm critiquing another reader's ideas or approaching reading as a more fixed process than I believe it is.
Maybe someone could respond to my awkwardness here? Maybe there are other threads in the forum where people join in on a reading? Maybe I'm over-thinking this??

Beira

You can certainly comment on someone else readings, but what I was purposing is having each person draws his own cards and share the interpretation..
sometimes someome may have questions.. there can be disagreements.. but getting challanged puts your practice to the test and enables you to spot eventual mistakes..
And to learn from each other
You can have a look on the threads in "Tarot games and fun" to see how people practice together quickly and easygoing..
or in the Your Reading threads usually someone posts a reading and others comment or help out if needed..
Different approaches..

See if u find a style u feel right for you..
I am there if u want someone to share draws and interpretations with:)

dianekay

Thanks for your understanding, Beira. And thanks for recommending Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah. It's next on my list!

Zephyros

To be honest, I'm feeling awkward about commenting on someone else's reading because I would naturally read differently than you and vice versa. There doesn't seem to be one right way of interpreting cards together, especially since I read kind of intuitively. So I'm kind of at a loss here, more than I thought I would be when we first discussed these exercises. It feels like I'm critiquing another reader's ideas or approaching reading as a more fixed process than I believe it is.
Maybe someone could respond to my awkwardness here? Maybe there are other threads in the forum where people join in on a reading? Maybe I'm over-thinking this??

Different people have different viewpoints, but any reading can be discussed, especially in a learning forum like AT. Commenting on someone's else's reading doesn't mean you think they're wrong, but sometimes different opinions help unravel a difficult combination of cards, the answer to which may not be apparent.

There are many different places on AT in which to post readings and discuss them. Your Readings is where members post their readings and ask for opinions on them, and it's a very supportive and friendly environment in which to do this. The Reading Exchange is where readings are offered in exchange for either readings in return or feedback, so you can see if you were right or not.

In the case of the Thoth, it can all be done right here and then you get more specialized answers pertaining to this deck that in the other forums you probably would get less of. I've posted readings here over the years and have gotten great insights that have really helped me on my way. Readings with Golden Dawn decks such as the Hermetic are done in that forum and with that system in mind.

Truly, any angle you want, there's a venue for it on AT. Don't be afraid to post anything, everyone is here for the love of the same things. :)

dianekay

Thank you, Zephyros. Your comments are very helpful. I think I understand this process much better now.