Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Disa

whoop whoop I'm still here! I've been doing lots of readings for friends and family with the Buckland Romani. Not much study, not much following the thread, but lots of reading. I'm so happy that they have been emailing me to ask for readings about major life issues- maybe that means I'm doing something right.

Hang in there you guys! I'm loving this phase of learning...soon I'm sure I'll be ready for the "reading for strangers in a coffe shop" stage...

MareSaturni

thorhammer said:
What made you choose the Aquarian? I had that deck . . . couldn't cope with the backs, and I'll admit the fronts made me a bit dizzy, too! :D But it was the smell of the copy I had that really put me off . . . ugh. Hideous. I can't even look at online scans of it without smelling that odour now! LOL

Hiiii \o/

Well, i chose this deck by...accident? I never thought anything of it, until one day i accidentaly took it to dad's place, i thought it was another deck and didn't pay attention, and ended up with the Aquarian in my purse.

So i decided to try it, after all, it wouldn't hurt...and the more i tried, the more i liked it. And weirdly enough, my deck almost doesn't smell!!! :bugeyed: Even though it's the new Aquarian deck (the one in the green box).

I don't care much about the backs, lol. Never did. I love them when they are pretty, but if they aren't, i ignore it. And i like the art-deco style of the deck, full of soft colors so...i hope i have a nice IDS with it :)

Thanks for your warm welcome, it's good to be back :)

Emily

thorhammer said:
Hey, at least you didn't *waste* any time trying to fit your own Liber T-shaped peg into a BG-shaped hole! :D

Seriously, Em, you perhaps don't realise how envious some are of your situation. You've found "the one". I, for one, wish so much that I felt the same way about a deck - any deck. :D

\m/ Kat

I searched a long time for the 'one' deck that would make me feel complete.

I've had a few disasters, I fall in love very easily with decks only to realise that after a while they didn't give me back as much as I was putting into them - I didn't with the Liber T, I had no expectations, it just sort of crept up on me.

I wish you could all find your decks, it was a bit of a surprise to me also when I realised that the Liber T is it. I do feel very lucky, slightly in shock still, but yes - lucky that I gave this deck another chance.

Scion gave me a list of books on Egyptian Mythology so I'm searching out online Egyptian Myths - I know a few from when my son did Egyptian Myths at school and I thought it might give me new inspiration as I start my IDS again.

I can spell my name in Egyptian Hieroglyphs LOL

SolSionnach

afrosaxon said:
Hi all,

I have tried to pick the Daughters of the Moon back up and resume my IDS studies with it, but it's just not happening.

A large part of it is that I am in a totally different head space this go round than I was over 10 years ago, when I first picked up the deck. The connection is no longer there.

So I shall put the DOM down for now. Who knows, I may pick it up sometime in the future.

Until then...I have several new (to me) decks that I should explore, including the Deviant Moon and the Gilded. })

Thank you all for your support and kind words for this IDS.

T.
Hey afrosaxon,
Great that you've grown and changed over the past 10 years - I know that things that interested me (indeed, were very important to me at the time) have faded in their importance. I'm really curious if you find Deviant Moon to be deep enough for you - please keep us updated with that!
Emily said:
I must have had the quickest IDS ever - I lasted around 5 days with the Bohemian Gothic. :) - but I did learn something - when a deck like the BG is described as dark, believe that it is actually a dark deck and the readings will probably reflect that. LOL
lol. You gave me a laugh with this - 5 days! That, and your experience with BG is enough to convince me that my decision to not buy it (in spite of all the raving going on around here) was the right one. A person with clinical depression (even if controlled) doesn't really need any more darkness in their life.
Marina said:
Okay then. I'm starting my IDS again. Wish me luck and strength! Deck: Aquarian Tarot
Hi there Marina - have great fun with the Aquarian! I might suggest that you could have some good experiences with the RWS forum, since the Aquarian is a clone. I've found out how incredibly deep the knowledge is on this forum by studying the Historical and TdM forums in my Hadar TdM IDS. Lots of incredible stuff out there.
Cat* said:
Okay, with the (bad) family news that came in today, my IDS with the Housewives is definitely over. There's no need to stress myself out with stuff that isn't necessary at this time of my life.
Oh, Cat*, I hope that whatever's going on at home ends well. :(
Cat* said:
I will, however, revisit my original IDS pledge and leave a few comments about what worked and what didn't. Maybe the new IDS people can get something out of it (or maybe not). At any rate, I felt that some official closure is in order...::snip::All in all, it has been interesting to find out which parts worked and which parts I had difficulties with. I've come to the suspicion that I might just not be the type for systematic learning of any kind. I usually research things when I need them or pick them up in passing to remember them later when they're useful. The key practice for me seems to be to actually read with a deck as much as I can (which might be closer to the original idea of the One Deck Wonder than it is to the average IDS).
Cat*, thanks for your debriefing of your IDS - I'd say that you accomplished quite a lot - and I hope you get back with a Manara IDS eventually.
Disa said:
whoop whoop I'm still here! I've been doing lots of readings for friends and family with the Buckland Romani. Not much study, not much following the thread, but lots of reading. I'm so happy that they have been emailing me to ask for readings about major life issues- maybe that means I'm doing something right.

Hang in there you guys! I'm loving this phase of learning...soon I'm sure I'll be ready for the "reading for strangers in a coffe shop" stage...
Great, Disa! I hope I can get to your stage some day.
Emily said:
I searched a long time for the 'one' deck that would make me feel complete.

I've had a few disasters, I fall in love very easily with decks only to realise that after a while they didn't give me back as much as I was putting into them - I didn't with the Liber T, I had no expectations, it just sort of crept up on me.
I remember reading how startled you were by how quickly that deck insinuated itself into your psyche. Have you worked with Scion's .pdf, or do you do more of a straightforward intuitive response (which is my understanding of what you do)?
It seems to me that the various TdMs are going to be my lifetime decks - I'm not sure if it will be my latest love, the Hadar, or another. But I'm lovin' it. :)
Emily said:
I wish you could all find your decks, it was a bit of a surprise to me also when I realised that the Liber T is it. I do feel very lucky, slightly in shock still, but yes - lucky that I gave this deck another chance.

I can spell my name in Egyptian Hieroglyphs LOL
:) Now, that's a RAD talent! :D

Emily

Hi sravana,

It is more intuitive with me - I've read through Scion's PDF and thoroughly recommend it for getting to grips with the decans in the deck but I'm still more of a straightforward saying what I see reader. I work with the Thoth images as a base then let the smaller images speak.

I read everything I can about the Thoth but many of the books specifically detail the Thoth artwork and the Liber T is different. I know the Liber T includes other symbolism too but the way I read it is definitely working for me.

I've noticed the Egyptian symbolism and am eager to get started and see how it relates to the cards. The Moon card is a firm favourite of mine, I think the lines look like biorhythms - actually I was a little surprised to find out what the artwork is supposed to be. But that's just what the Liber T is about, a deck that runs a lot deeper than you realise. LOL

SolSionnach

Emily said:
Hi sravana,

It is more intuitive with me - I've read through Scion's PDF and thoroughly recommend it for getting to grips with the decans in the deck but I'm still more of a straightforward saying what I see reader. I work with the Thoth images as a base then let the smaller images speak.
That's interesting. I can tell that if I was using the deck I'd probably start out with the images first - don't they show what the picatrix or some such shows as the images from the decans?
Emily said:
I read everything I can about the Thoth but many of the books specifically detail the Thoth artwork and the Liber T is different. I know the Liber T includes other symbolism too but the way I read it is definitely working for me.

I've noticed the Egyptian symbolism and am eager to get started and see how it relates to the cards. The Moon card is a firm favourite of mine, I think the lines look like biorhythms - actually I was a little surprised to find out what the artwork is supposed to be. But that's just what the Liber T is about, a deck that runs a lot deeper than you realise. LOL
What are those lines in the Moon card supposed to be? They do look like biorhythms, don't they!
I liked how Serio re-did the devil card, as well - not as phallic as the thoth, imo. That was one thing I noticed. My fav card in the thoth is the justice (adjustment?) card, and I do prefer the thoth one to Serio's.

It must have been a wee bit mind-boggling to have come across "THE" deck, when you weren't completely enamored with it from the first. I noticed that with ALL of the decks that I *thought* would be the one - it was as though the art was almost too much, or there were cards that were just 'wrong'. I'm thinking of some of the cards in the Ma'at (egypt!! lol) that really don't do it for me, like the 3/coins, or the 5(?) wands - the one that shows the chess game. Then I suddenly found the Hadar, and POOF, I see what a completely *balanced* deck looks like.

In fact, that's something about Thoth, Liber T, RWS, TdM - all these decks are *balanced*. Not only do they have a system behind them, but they also don't have cards which are either way higher or way lower quality. They are of a piece. I suppose you could argue about the 2/pents in the RWS being a bit below the standard of the rest of the deck... or maybe not. In the case of the Maat, the Death card, for instance, is absolutely breathtaking. But then there are cards which have obviously been copied from Old Masters (and not credited, much to my dismay) - or cards that are just weird (the Chariot is a real wtf? for me). Too uneven for me to live with on a daily basis.

This IDS idea is helping me define what I think constitutes a *real* tarot deck - and believe me, it's more than 22 trumps with the traditional names, 40 pips and 16 courts. I've gotten to the point that I would qualify many popular so-called tarots as something else entirely - perhaps as an organized oracle? - because while they hew to the tradition, and maybe even read really well... they aren't complete. They are 'thin' and trendy, or they aren't well-thought out, or they aren't coherent artistically (even if well-crafted). They don't hang together color-wise, or for whatever reason they are not something that one (I) could live with for more than a few days at a time.

You know what I'm saying? This comes back to the huge blowup that was the "Different Decks" thread, where Scion and I were making the point that if you're using a RWS clone, then you are *using* the GD system, whether or not you acknowledge it. People don't want to acknowledge that, because it's unpopular.

Tarot is more than 22 trumps, 10 pips, and 16 courts and pretty pictures. Much, MUCH more.

That being said, I'm in line for the Shadowscapes when it comes out - because I like the pictures! But is it a tarot? Sadly, I think not, by my own criterion.

Are most of the decks in my collection true tarots? Probably not lol! It appears I'm turning into that most despised of creatures - the TdM snob. lol

Okay, I've got to stop, otherwise I'll be typing all night.

Quantum James

sravana said:
I've gotten to the point that I would qualify many popular so-called tarots as something else entirely - perhaps as an organized oracle? - because while they hew to the tradition, and maybe even read really well... they aren't complete. They are 'thin' and trendy, or they aren't well-thought out, or they aren't coherent artistically (even if well-crafted). They don't hang together color-wise, or for whatever reason they are not something that one (I) could live with for more than a few days at a time.

Hi Sravana,
I am with you 100% on this one. I want something with depth that plugs in to the heart of a symbolic system. Something that has a historicity about it - that creates an energetic lineage, or constellation, which opens up those parts of the self for exploration. Image systems that pander to new age fads or styles with no actual content have zero spiritual nutrition.

This doesn't mean it has to be an ancient or traditional deck or symbol set - rather, it should be authentic in the sense that it mines those parts of the self genuinely. Often within the contemporary spiritual marketplace its all style over substance. Easily consumable platitudes vs. effort.

This is why I enjoy the Liber T. I like that its mysterious - that I have to try and decipher its codes. I have to discover for myself its mysteries, by my own effort - rather than have it served up to me. Its not comfortable. The ten of cups is downright disturbing - and what used to be happy card no less!

Thats *why* I like it!

[end of soapbox moment]

QJ

SolSionnach

Quantum James said:
Hi Sravana,
I am with you 100% on this one. I want something with depth that plugs in to the heart of a symbolic system. Something that has a historicity about it - that creates an energetic lineage, or constellation, which opens up those parts of the self for exploration. Image systems that pander to new age fads or styles with no actual content have zero spiritual nutrition.

This doesn't mean it has to be an ancient or traditional deck or symbol set - rather, it should be authentic in the sense that it mines those parts of the self genuinely. Often within the contemporary spiritual marketplace its all style over substance. Easily consumable platitudes vs. effort.

QJ
Hey QJ,
I was about ready to post a thread, deconstructing various decks - but I decided that it could justifiably be called trolling (!). I have mentally gone through several decks - both popular and not - just to give my thoughts a trial run. A few decks truly puzzle me - I'm thinking that Wheel of Change is a true tarot as far as system goes, but the art is a let-down for me - I wish that Genetti had learned how to proportion FACES before she created her deck. I can't abide the faces in that deck, even though some of the cards are complete masterpieces (ie: Death: http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/330/Wheel_of_Change#14 which is actually a lot brighter than it is in the scan). Is it a 'true' tarot? YOU decide, I can't.

Then there are new decks where the art is absolutely of a piece - I'm thinking Deviant Moon - but is it just another tired rehash of the RWS pictures? I don't know, and won't likely find out, because I'm not going to work with that deck anytime soon. Though the Golden is a flat-out RWS clone, but I'm tending toward giving it a pass. What do you think about that one? Is it a 'true' tarot? The art certainly is of a piece... but now that I think about it (specifically the Wheel of Fortune card: http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/43/Golden#21.jpg no, it's too far away from the traditional images. But then again, the NOVT cards are *way*!! far away from the traditional images, am I to give it a pass because it's a completely different system? :bugeyed: Are we going down a slippery slope here?

Then there's that most-highly-sought-after of decks (and a personal fav) - the Greenwood. The art is wonderful, but it's renamed most of the trumps, the courts are all animals - and while it says it has a system, the 3/swords is pulled straight from the RWS! http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/385/Greenwood#39 WTF? That one is definitely NOT a true tarot - but a wonderful oracle, IMO YMMV and all that.

So many new decks are just 78 pieces of art (or questionable art!) passing as a tarot, IMO and YMMV and I know that at least you agree with me. That being said, I think that the widely-touted advice to 'find a deck that appeals to you' is terrible advice! People end up buying *way* too many junque decks, looking for 'the one' - heaven knows I've done that! - and waste years when they could be learning Tarot (with a capital T). As Umbrae has said over and over - you can read sugar packets intuitively. If you want to read intuitively, go with any old deck of cards - that works, as hundreds of readers here on AT will attest. But if you want to read TAROT, then use a tarot deck! But then again, there's what Emily said above: that Liber T is what truly unlocked intuitive reading for her. So there you go, full circle!

I certainly have bought (and sold) hundreds of decks over the years while looking for 'the ONE'. Of course, if I hadn't done the above, would I be here doing a wonderfully fulfilling IDS with the Hadar TdM? Probably not!

Speaking of which: I've been haunting the archives of teh Historical and TdM forums, and finding much nourishment there for my study. I've finally gotten it together re: the elemental and numerological attributions of the pips (yay!) and am slowly grasping the Aristotelean elements... and decided on my suit/element attributions. Things are moving right along, I'm happy to say. :) :) :p I'm sure that I will renew my IDS for another month, in fact, I'm now intending to go to the end of September. :)

Hooked on TdM

I agree that trying to classify decks as truly Tarot or not becomes a very slippery slope. Mind you anything that doesn't have non-scenic pips becomes a non-Tarot to me! ;) TdM's just change your outlook entirely.

Well I took a few days break from the cards. I read a few books though and still did a few daily draws. It was nice to get back to the card by card study though! I am now done the Coupe's to 5. Only five more to go and I'm all done the entire suit! :)

There are some very puzzling little details in this deck that I haven't figured out yet. I'm not sure if I will or not. I am thinking of doing a few structure studies to see what that reveals to me. After all that, hopefully it will be a nicely rounded out deck for reading!

Hooked

(I've read everyone else's replies, but am having memory issues, so I haven't actually replied because it will just come out garbled! LOL)

Neely75

Hi everyone, just wanted to come in and update. Unfortunately I've pretty much had to scrap my IDS plans for now. I'm hoping to get back into it soon, but just have not been able to focus on anything.

To cut a long story short. It seems that for about four years I've been ignoring a really important message in my dreams. Someone very dear to me (but who I've had no contact with in about 9 years) has been trying to let me know that he has passed. I've been wondering what my recurring dreams meant for so long, it's been taking up so much of my focus and energy. I think I finally got an answer recently. I don't have definite confirmation yet, I'm hoping that will be shown to me when I'm ready.

I'm just so confused and sad and have not been able to look at my cards yet.

Anyway, i'm wishing you all well and am hoping to rejoin in here soon.