Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

Jonezy

The only deck I have regretted buying was sacred sites tarot. I bought it on impulse but although i have tried several times, I just can't connect with it. I love the pictures but just can't read with it.

Citrin

I have quite a few in my collection that I really don't care for. I bought them 10 years ago when I was 18, needless to say my taste has changed a bit... ;) But at the same time, I enjoyed those decks a lot 10 years ago so I can't day I regret buying them!

One that I bought many years ago and which I've never used, and honestly find flat and ugly, is the Marco Polo/Journey to the Orient. Ugh! :(

My recent purchases I don't care for and could've been without:
*Raven's Prophecy Tarot (There's nothing in there?! I like sparse and minimalist, but seriously...)
*Housewive's Tarot (Made me discover I don't really use decks that are made "for fun")

Enlightenment23

Tarot of the Silicon Dawn

What drew me to purchase the Tarot of the Silicon Dawn is the fact that it had 99 cards -- a lot more than your typical 78-card tarot deck. I thought that was pretty cool :)

It had this funky, futuristic, sci-fi theme going on. And I loved the artwork.

But it was just too confusing to work with and I couldn't connect with it! If my memory serves me right, there are 3 extra Fool cards (Is one not enough?!), there are 2 extra suits...99 and "The Void," and -- this is what really pissed me off -- the tarot deck creator (Egypt Urnash) switched the elemental associations (Wands was "Earth" and Pentacles was "Fire). It was so distracting!

Most frustratingly, Urnash's explanation of the new suits and cards in the companion book were more or less "I don't know to be honest with you guys. I just thought it'd be cool." *Sigh*

Needless to say, I sold this deck within a week.

Alta

sigh, Silicon Dawn had that effect on me as well, though am going to keep it. Sacred Art Tarot sticks in my mind as the laziest most useless deck that I have ever purchased.

cosmicon

i kinda wish i hadn't bought the thoth tarot. i bought it because i like astrology and kabbalah is interesting but the images are just too complicated for me, i think... i'm sure if i studied i could understand them more, but i like my celestial tarot deck so much more because it feels more personal and less like i'm trying to peer into the secrets of the universe. the celestial tarot feels like it helps me connect with my own subconscious, but thoth connects me to... something else... idk..

Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot. Of course the art work is beautiful, but some of those cards make me feel squeamish and I didn't realize I'd end up triggered by this desk. My childhood was a bit rocky. So while some cards speak to me on many levels, using this deck is not enjoyable. Still trying to sell it. But if I can't find a buyer by the end of May I'll hang onto it, for the artwork only maybe.
funny i see this while trying to decide what deck to buy next, and ceccoli is probably the one i will go with. maybe it's a sign? i just don't know, though -- part of me wants to work with a more standard RWS deck because there are soo many resources out there for that system. but, from my limited knowledge and experience with tarot, RWS seems to have more traditional and christian symbolism. i'm always amazed by the readings my boyfriend gets with those, they're much better than mine. maybe i suck at interpreting that kind of stuff, too. i connect with celestial tarot because 1.) i know a lot about it's themes and 2.) it's more like a story book, the art is just kinda borderline meh for me, lol. ceccoli might be more my cup of tea.

Espeon

The Ramses/Egyptian Lo Scarabeo tarot...I cannot remember the proper name, I bought it used without a box. It has a lovely art style, but some cards are offensive/insensitive! (If you've seen this deck you know which cards I'm talkin bout). Makes this deck impossible to use for me, it makes me uncomfortable and I could never read for others with it. Also the Lovers card makes no sense, its a dude with tons of ladies around him, instead of the classic archetype of a couple. 😅

Paulina Tarot, its a beautiful deck, don't get me wrong. I just wish the images/cards were larger. The images are very busy.

Trying to think of more...nope! Really it's just those two. I own many decks I dislike personally but keep for my collection's sake.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Laura Borealis

I regret the Alpha Books Rider-Waite. It didn't cost me much but it was a disappointment. Cheap feeling junk, lurid color (but not in a cool way) and blurry art.

I've regretted a couple of trades I got on the Trade Train, but I didn't pay for those, so they don't really fit the thread - but if they did I would mention the Nostradamus Tarot. I totally don't buy into the creators' theories, the art is so small and so boxed in with borders and frames, and so obviously photoshopped... it really was not what I thought it was going to be.

Luna's Crone

Like evelon, who made the thread "Decks You Wish You Hadn't Sold?", I decided to open this one and see what people have to say:D.

i wish i hadn't bought moon circus, probably mary-el, aquarian, enchanted tarot, celtic, i know there is one or two more but can't think of them off hand. Nicolette.