Musings on super stones, Marketing stones for more then fundamental intrinsic value.

The crowned one

My problem with marketing names like "super seven" is that is all it is in a way, in my opinion, is to get good money for low grade quartz. Grab a piece diorite and tell me how many minerals it contains? five, eight? Some will be visible but many will be trace. Why is no one wearing granite? It has many of the crystals I read about containing healing and helping properties? Only the pretty rocks make the cut? Put ten powerful crystals in a bag, and hold them one at a time hidden from view, tell yourself what they are, I tried this, over and over, I could not even make it statistically where I should be on a bell curve for guessing.

Super Seven is described as a impure quartz on most gemological and mineralogical data bases, one of the biggest ones adds : " may allege that cacoxenite and lepidocrocite are among the components, but they are in reality never present."

"cacoxenite" means "bad guest" so I guess that is a good thing if it is not there.

I know this seems like a rather negative post, and I know the power of the mind, but I feel this is marketing. Check the frequencies of the individual stones, all you will need is a power source: a tuning voltage really, the crystal, and an amplifier. Put the seven/five through an Oscilloscope and tell me how they come together to make something that "never needs cleansed" and " balancing and energizing all seven charkras" ? Everything vibrates it is called molecular vibration. A solid is a solid and a liquid is a liquid because of vibration( simplified) If I where to "resonate" to the frequency of quartz I think I would turn to stone! I often wonder why people are not using their cell phones in frequency work as the the natural vibrations are much much greater.

I think what happens is the language of science is borrowed because it makes the explanations sound more plausible, but the words do not directly translate into the spiritual realm, these elusive vibrations that I try but can not pick up, I understand they are too subtle or exist differently then the mundane world to be picked up by science, but it seems to me the only people perpetuating these great healing properties are the sellers and buyers of the stones. The sellers to make money, the buyers to justify the extra cost of a fancy name?

shelikes2read

You have touched on a huge pet peeve of mine. I have giant issues with the trademarking of stone names and the huge markup on stones whose origins include a completely unverifiable metaphysical backstory (such as something channeled by a person who just so happens to have trademarked the very stones they are selling).

I have no desire to offend people or insult anyone's belief systems. But I always insist that people should do their homework and really think twice about buying any of these trademarked stones. Chemically and geologically, they are definitely often low-grade samples of stones. There is a part of me that wonders if someone is deciding to make big bucks by buying low-cost samples, creating a backstory, and then selling these now-high-priced stones to the masses.

I'm not saying EVERY named stone is a fraud, and if you are having desirable results with a stone you own, that's great. But you know, Quartz is some potent stuff. Sometimes the fact that it's one of the most common minerals in the earth's surface can blind us to how special it is. Several of the trademark-named stones are forms of Quartz, so it's far from surprising to me that people will find these stones potent.

But as someone else wrote on another forum, in an Azeztulite discussion, "Why can't WE channel the Azez and ask them to program OUR quartz, the same way they are said to have programmed Azeztulite?" I think that person made a good point. If the Azez are focusing on improving humans' connection to spirituality, why would they be OK with seeing their stones being sold for hefty prices? It can turn into a contradiction of pursuing spiritual goals if people get too focused on obtaining expensive things, and doubly so if people turn their focus to getting rich selling expensive things.

This also goes for the markup I've seen on some natural quartz points, merely because of their shape or surface texture. Quartz grows in varying ways, depending on growing conditions like temperatures, mineral-laden water, gravity, and more. Some stones' growing conditions changed multiple times during the time frame in which it was growing, and that will affect the stone's look. It is going to get growth marks on it, it's going to have crystals projecting from other crystals, different faces will have different shapes, etc. Maybe it's because I was introduced to Quartz in the 90s, before labeling stones by their shape and surface texture became popular (and a new way to mark up the price), but I've always examined each stone as a unique individual, rather than thinking "its largest face has X number of sides, and therefore it helps with Y", or "it has horizontal growth marks on it, so it enables this or that", and so on.

I am all about seeking out the stones that resonate with us personally. That's huge. And if some of the stones we are connected strongly to happen to fit the description of Trademarked Name X or Quartz Point Shape Y, so be it. But it's all about the energies of the stone, not its physical attributes.

Stick with focusing on the ENERGIES of the stone you're interested in working with or buying, and you can't go wrong. You'll immediately gravitate toward the ones that are the best match for you.

stonesatiety

I used to have HUGE issues with the name trademarking and catchy names for stones with other commonly accepted names. Sure, it's marketing, something often necessary by the way we make our purchases. As the years went by, I realized it's just another way for people who don't feel the way I do. Lots of people enjoy digging through the newly discovered whatever, and receive benefits they otherwise may not have. So I'm okay with it now. I even purchased an "Anandalite" cluster a few years ago. It was the only one that attracted me, and boy did it ever. I showed it to a friend who has a room at the gem and mineral show and she said, "Oh, apophylite." ha! I laughed. But you know, I have apophylite here and this crystal feels way different. Its chemical composition is different as well. Glad I went with my knowing/feeling, as you mention, shelikes.

On the issue of low grade minerals, lets go even further on their utility. I have all kinds of rocks around here from walks and trips. Just today after waking up the first time (I work nights currently), I had pain in my neck. The clear quartz sphere, beta quartz, fire agate and rock loosened something and they couldn't do much to help me further. I sat at the computer and picked up a citrine cluster, held it below my navel, then went with a rock who was offering to help. I held the rock against the right/rear of my neck and it got super hot!!! The citrine continued helping the flow while sitting on my desk, as I held the rock (it's smooth on one side, rough on the other, a black desert stone from a walk) on various areas on my neck. This rock was the perfect helper for this blockage, this time. Free of chaaage. :)

We may not be allowing the Azez to charge our stones. "Outsiders" can only interact with a given human's permission.

shelikes2read

One of my other recommendations is that we should all make sure that we know the geological name of our stones. There are a bunch of New Age names for stones now, and no one outside of a metaphysical shop will have a clue what they are. If you want to go to rock shows and get crystals from non-metaphysical sources, then the best way to do that is to know the geological name for stones.

And also -- compare the prices for the stone at different sources. If there is a dealer who's insanely marking up their stock with the fancy name, compared to the reasonable prices of another dealer that uses the geological name, I would make a note of that and invest wisely. Such as, unless the expensive seller had a specific, one-of-a-kind piece that I HAD TO have, or the world would end, I would vote with my dollars and go with the more reasonably-priced dealer.

We all have numerous fine attributes here, but unfortunately, being made of money isn't one of them, at least not in my case. ;) So I only say what I say because I want everyone to get the most value for their investments.

Hemera

What an interesting discussion! I must confess I had never heard of Super Seven before the thread was started in here and I have been asking myself many of the same questions as tco.
Why is no one wearing granite? It has many of the crystals I read about containing healing and helping properties? Only the pretty rocks make the cut?
Oh, but in this country we do wear granite! :) There are several varieties of granite used (the green one is especially beautiful) and several companies use them for making jewelry in silver and bronze.

Attachments

• 1616_graniitti_20110908.jpg
    1616_graniitti_20110908.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 1588_20110905.jpg
    1588_20110905.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 167

wildchilde

Thanks for the post, TCO. I share the thoughts and concerns of you and everyone here. My greatest pet peeves on this issue is the constant increasing number of "marketing names" given to the same stone, as well as the tendency for a lot of marketing names to include the name of a stone that is not anywhere near the actual make up of the stone. (for example, the glut of stones that now have the name "jasper" attached eventhough they are not in any way shape or form related to actual jasper). This type of thing makes it very difficult for people who are not versed in the scientific facts of stones to recognize what they are dealing with and what the stone may actually be worth (or not) as well as what potential metaphysical properties they may or may not impart. (which obviously is always debatable in certain circles).

The other issue I have though, beyond the blatant misleading marketing (which I have learned to get around mostly by never ever purchasing something before I understand what it is and never spending much money on anything because I'm a cheapskate and a poor one at that ;) ) is it seems very difficult to find scientific information about stones online. For example, when I was researching the "Super Seven", the only thing I could find from gemological resources were unsubstantiated statements. Maybe the person has done the tests you described, but none of that was readily available, so then the online researcher (i.e. me) still has no clear evidence of what the stone actually consists of or doesn't, only heresay which is the same as metaphysical claims that a stone may do this or that based on folklore, etc.

To me, science and metaphysics are not mutually exclusive. I like to have personal experience to back up my thoughts on a stone AND empirical evidence based on sound research. When it comes to stones, however, it is much easier for me to gain the former than the latter and I'm not sure why it is so difficult to obtain the research. If you have any suggestions on where to find this information online, I would greatly appreciate it!

greatdane

Very interesting post

I do agree that often when researching what comes up are.....sites from companies selling the very stones they are describing. Often the descriptions are either very vague and/or cover EVERYTHING and unless one is specially trained, can be a tad difficult to discern what the stone really is or the quality. I get these sites are trying to make a living so it then is up to the buyer to decide what they wish to believe. I don't have a bunch of extra cash, so I try to choose carefully when looking at stones and it helps to know others who have bought from the seller. I also never heard of the super seven until recently and from AT, so I have nothing to add there.

The crowned one

Thank-you for the thoughtful relies.

Testing the stone often destroys the stone, and it is expensive. If you are lucky more then a single rock will be tested in a mined area for The new-age market. It really is buyer beware. x-ray is for structure, chemical for composition. Obviously it is the chemical tests the destroy the sample. These tests are not cheap so physical characteristics is how most stones you will buy are "tested", these would be the better sellers. By the way you can have your own stones tested. Chemex labs here on the mainland has tested samples for me ( I was looking for gold, really lol)

That was only one point in my post, anyone care to tackle some of the other issues, particularly directed at this super seven? :) Or did I answer my own question when I acknowledged the properties may be more mystical then scientific, and therefore untestable for those without the ability, as I am to experience them subjectively. And if that is the case can someone give me a theory to explain why this can be experienced( by some) but cannot be tested objectively and empirically?

Hemera

Or did I answer my own question when I acknowledged the properties may be more mystical then scientific, and therefore untestable for those without the ability, as I am to experience them subjectively. And if that is the case can someone give me a theory to explain why this can be experienced( by some) but cannot be tested objectively and empirically?
I´m sure crystal properties are more mystical than scientific if we are talking about the hard sciences like physics. But psychology is science,too, right? Crystals are not even untestable for me if I´m thinking of psychology. I think my crystals are a lot like mirrors. If I take my aquamarine and believe that it will soothe me and calm my nerves during an exam then it may just mirror that wish back to me. Looking at it will remind me of my wish of serenity and calm. I´m sure, however, that I would not feel any such energies in the kind of blind test you described above. I would not feel any calming tingle in my fingers or anything :p

I think the point is that if you want,say, the kind of energies that Super Seven is supposed to give and believe that it will then it may be a good idea to get that crystal. But you need to do that with your eyes open, knowing that the seller may try to cheat or something like that. However, if you like the stone and you feel it can mirror the kind of properties you are looking for then why not?

shelikes2read

What an interesting discussion! I must confess I had never heard of Super Seven before the thread was started in here and I have been asking myself many of the same questions as tco.
Oh, but in this country we do wear granite! :) There are several varieties of granite used (the green one is especially beautiful) and several companies use them for making jewelry in silver and bronze.

Wow, those are pretty! I'd gladly wear granite that looks like that. :) Very nice!