Your Gemstone/Crystal Collection

KambabaKate

Hi I was just interested in seeing what other people had in their collections. If you can post a picture of your collection I'd love to see it, though I do realize there are some pieces people aren't comfortable letting others see which is perfectly fine!

Also I wanted to know if you are a collector of wands how do you display them, that is if you display them. I have a collection myself but am just always torn about to display them. I'd like to leave them out somehow so I can see them all the time, but right now I just store them away when I'm done in a box. Part of the reason is space as I live in a very small space right now, but the other is just figuring out how to display them. I also have more than a few which is why it is so difficult. Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you!

Starri Knytes

I don't mind sharing my collection but am a bit surprized that you failed to share yours. My wand is a healing wand containing gems, therefor it is kept in a black velvet bag as to not absorb any unwanted energy. I have looked at many wands and even added one to cart once but didn't end up making the purchase. If and when I do I will get this stand to display it Abby Willowroot Wand Stand my wand is here Fluorite, Rose Quartz and Amethyst Healing Wand

KambabaKate

I don't mind sharing mine but I thought it would be awkward if i was the only person to share you know? So i wanted to see if other people would respond first. Plus my goal was to achieve a back and forth conversation not just share my collection. So I didn't actually fail to share mine, it was not my intention at this time to do so.

I'm currently getting a stand when it arrives I'll post some pictures of some of my wands. It's not intended for wands but I think its exactly what i want.

Briar Rose

I'm sorry. I created a thread named, how do you keep your crystals, which is really the same thing as this thread. It must hae been on another page, I am sorry. And I see hardly anyone posted here since May 19, the day this thread started.

I put all my points and small clusters in a circular pattern on a square wooden dish. This way I can recharge crystals and jewelry on the clusters.

The rough cut crystals are on a shelf above my desk. And the tumbled crystals are in a wooden bowl.

stonesatiety

My "display technique" is to set stones all over the house. They sit on shelves, tables, the floor, on any horizontal surface. The most useful thing I did was accept the offer of a chest-of-drawers. It's now full of stones, a place to keep a lot of them in less space. I rotate them, feeling which ones want to go where. I feel the difference in the house's energy field as the stones slowly, year-by-year, move around the house. Some stones stake out one place, but most move around.

One of the nicest ways I've seen stones displayed was glass-doored cabinets along walls. Some friends had a LOT of extremely choice stones and this kept the stones visible, safe and cut down the dusting. I'd like to do this someday.

I don't have any human-constructed wands, but I have lazerwands constructed by nature! One place where I purchased (and still purchase) stones sent those not self standing with bases made of a commercially available paper mache'. The bases are white, easily painted any color. In the U.S., an equivalent product is called Celluclay. Another thread somewhere in this section mentions commercially available wand holders, which hold the wand horizontally, like sword display stands.

KambabaKate

Hi it's nice to see some other responses.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anything is specifically made for gemstone displaying (outside of jewelry displays or the occasional single wand display that will cost quite a bit of money and of course sphere stands). I've been looking for inexpensive ways to display my collection. It makes me happy to see them every day so I want them out not in a box under something. It's especially hard for me to display them since I don't have a whole house or even apartment to myself I only have a couple rooms so I can't spread the gemstones around everywhere.

None of my crystal wands are hand made though I do have a couple handmade wooden ones. My crystal wands tend to be solid chunks of crystal/gemstone. I prefer polished ones but I have raw too.

Anyway other than buying nice treasure chests at hobby lobby to keep some stuff in or long bread baskets/long metal baskets that are on sale (more for tumbled, druzes, larger pieces) I wanted something for wands. Needless to say it's an odd thing to find a display for. I settled on wooden test tube racks. These work well if the wands are of a certain size. I was able to fit 26 of my wands into two test tube rack displays, which is a little less than half of my wand collection. Most of my wands are too large to fit in the 22mm - 25mm racks but I had enough that could fit. I probably won't be buying any more racks though since theres no point.

Sorry I can't attach any pictures I'm not allowed to by this forum. How unfortunate.

gregory

You can upload a photo to photobucket or similar and post a link to it. People do that all the time.

stonesatiety

Gregory: thanks! I'll join as soon as I can, but for now that is a great pic sharing idea.

I see the wand stand link I mentioned is in this thread. Duh! ha!

Those stones are beautiful, Ann Yu. Nice energy. THanks for sharing.

KumbabaKate: Related to your test tube racks for display, for the larger wands, you could buy a thick piece of wood and drill correct sized holes. Or have somebody do it. That would be simple, easily sanded and finished to your taste, and stable if constructed correctly. Just a thought. I remembered flag holders I've seen over the years. I suppose you might find a flag holder that would work as well.

KambabaKate

I wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble to register an account on an external photo site and keep track of all of that just to post a picture. But I did anyway and I'll post that link at the end of this post.

stonesatiety: I don't actually own the drill bits to drill holes in wood, though i've use them countless times before when i worked in a scenic construction shop. The other thing about this is that the larger drill bits get to be expensive (and those are the ones I would need). You can get a set of drill bits that go up to a quarter of an inch for 20$. But getting an inch or more (and I'd need more than an inch) would cost a lot more than I'm able to spend right now (and of course bits of a good quality too, i don't like buying crappy tools). I know some people might say why not use a smaller one and move it side to side once it's in the hole to make it wider, that doesn't actually work and will actually harm your drill and the drill bit. Drill bits were made to go up and down not side to side.

I will probably end up building my own full stand at some point in the future but right now I just needed something quick and the test tube racks did that. I've spent a lot of money buffing out my sewing room and supplies and my art room and supplies and i'm starting to move into scenic painting supplies. Construction tools are on the horizon but I'm not quite there yet (plus i don't have space for them where I live. Sucks.) I can't wait till I can get a Pneumatic air pump so that I can use Pneumatic tools like nail guns and staple guns. I really need a staple gun to be honest I'm wanting to build and upholster my own loveseat pretty soon and I'm going to have to borrow my uncle's.

But -anyway- back to gemstones. Below is the link to my current test tube wand stands. Sorry about the picture quality it was taken on my phone, can't find my real camera right now. It's still unfinished wood I've been really busy with work and having a show opening this week (and another one in two weeks) so I haven't had any time to stain them. This is also only part of my collection, less than half of my wands actually. I have things other than wands too, I have a nice sphere collection going as well. No, I actually didn't spend a fortune getting all my wands/spheres/gems. There are reliable sellers who don't sell them for very much, auctions from reliable sellers, sales (lucked out this past weekend 75% off going out of business sale!), and of course gem & mineral shows. I say reliable sellers because I'm well aware of fakes and have actually become certified in identifying gemstones. Nothing I own is fake (except I suppose you could say the 'manmade' stones are fake like Aventurine, Goldstone, Opalite. But it's kind of a given...and they are still recognized as real stones, just manmade). If anyone is interested in methods to expand on their collection without breaking their banks I'm happy to help more, it's not that difficult at all it just takes some research and time.

So yea tell me what you think. My chow chow Edgar really loves them, oddly. He always tries to climb onto them and up in my gemstone area. He's silly.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/GrenadineRain/photo_zpsd6a7d37a.jpg