Gorgeous Silicon Sphere

shelikes2read

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZMByI4s-D-Y

This is a non-metaphysical, VERY interesting look at how they are planning to use a sphere of pure Silicon to help define, once and for all, the precise weight of a kilogram. It's got some science history involved, too -- I'm a big nerd so I love this kind of thing. :)

I figured it would be of interest here, where so many of us are very fond of our various forms of Silicon Dioxide, (SiO2, aka Quartz). Plus, the sphere itself is absolutely gorgeous and I wish I could touch it. I am such a sphere addict. :D

They said it's the roundest object on the face of the earth. That in and of itself is reason enough to have a look at the video, lol.

Richard

Impressive!

stonesatiety

What a beauty! Love the quest for the unchanging kilogram too.

tarotbear

A pound is 16 ounces ...do we need to have an object somewhere under 3 bell jars, two turtle doves, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree to prove it?

Solid silicon spheres ... hmmmmm - on old Star Trek episode "Devil in the Dark."

Richard

A pound is 16 ounces ...do we need to have an object somewhere under 3 bell jars, two turtle doves, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree to prove it?......
Damn right we do! The consequences of not stabilizing the kilogram standard are far too horrible to contemplate. It might even be worse than having to give up sliced bread. Be realistic! Trying to ignore such a crucial issue is not going to make it go away.