The Visconti - and the Marseilles

Sophie

I enjoyed your post, jmd (as many others of yours), and loved the metaphor of the hills. You make a good case for the Marseille. But what in Le Diable's name is a hierosemioscript ?

jmd

...errr... how about a written ('script') sacred ('hiero') symbol ('semios'), rather than the 'sacred carving' as found on Cathedrals (hiero-glyphs).

Fulgour

jmd said:
Imagine a landscape punctuated by a series of various hills,
each hill being the build-up of various 'traditions'.
I would like to add, however, that while a multiplicity of views
is valuable, it is hoped that when taken together, they do not
thus constitute so broad a dilution as to nullify a simple truth:
What we ask from the Tarot becomes what it shares in return.

Scion

jmd said:
Here is, then, the reflections I made, and a plausible explanation as to the differences between forums, and also maybe why GD/WCS-type comments are possibly 'less welcome' here.
If one climbs each hill with a deck, such as the Marseille, it will be presented and understood and explained as though it already was from that hill - albeit perhaps only at its base, but still a part of that perspective... according, at least to its that hill's residents.
For some of us, investigating the Marseille is a little like walking down those hills in the valleys and looking - or trying to look - carefully at the presented images.

Beautifully, cogently said, jmd. A superhelpful image! I wonder if most other Marseille-o-philes see it similarly.

rota

Helvetica said:
But what in Le Diable's name is a hierosemioscript ?

++++++

It just means 'earliest-drawn writing'. A very nice tasty mouthful too, I gotta say.

Rusty Neon

jmd said:
If I climb the WCS-GD mount and meet there a hardent student, discussions on IIII the Emperor will turn to considerations of Aries, of connections between certain Sefirot on the Tree of Life, its numerological correlations to possibly 13 Death, and myriad other connections which the tradition has made, worked and added to since 1888.

There are many skilled and insightful users of the WCS deck (a.k.a. the Rider-Waite deck) or the Thoth deck or the Marseille deck who don't use or study astrological or kabbalistic correspondences. They don't use astrological or kabbalistic correspondences with their respective deck, yet they can still, to my mind, be ardent students of their respective deck.

Cerulean

May open a Milanese thread soon, have to think about this..

Even though I am devoted in heart to Milanese patterns as they evolved....

JMD makes a wonderful point of discussion beyond this sentence, which belongs to this thread:

"As implied in the opening of the post in which I quote from another post I make, the Marseille may be considered a superb manifestation of the Ür-Tarot.

(Here's part of the subject of the new thread, which I hope to get after vacation:)

"The Visconti, by contrast, and no matter how beautiful, cannot form that same foundation of fullness that a Ür-deck needs to have."

What I want to do in a separate thread is explore regional Milanese historical variations...and list any modern variations.

Thanks for the very concise point, JMD and others!

Cerulean

Huck

And all this enthusiasm about the Marseille Tarot in connection to Ur-Tarot etc makes me feel like being captured during a long quiet and pleasant walk with interesting ideas by a band of loud and noisy fans of a local soccer-club with the momentary imagination, that their team is unbeatable.

Olympique Maseille : AC Milan ... 5. minute 1:0

TemperanceAngel

I dreamt about Ur-Tarot last night, just not sure what the deck was.....