Peridot

Hemera

I have been drawn to Peridot lately and I have no idea why. It´s funny..I don´t know what to think. I´ve never been drawn to this color particularly and as I didn´t know what this crystal is for I had to do some research. I found a small Peridot in an esoteric shop the other day and I have been carrying it in my purse for some weeks now. Maybe I should carry it on my person but somehow the crystal intimidates me! Why is that, I wonder?

Peridot only comes in green. Apparently it is iron that causes its yellow green color. The intensity of the colour depends on the amount of iron actually present. The green varies from grass green to olive green and light yellow green and it sometimes has a touch of gold blended with the greens. In Greek it has for this reason been called Chryssolite, “the stone of gold”.
It is the birth stone of August.
The Egyptians called it the “gem of the sun.” It is so ancient that it can be found in Egyptian jewellery from the early 2nd millennium B.C.. It was mined in Egypt in those days.
Peridot is found in lava, meteorites, and deep in the earth’s mantle.
It is the crystal of Pele, the Goddess of volcanoes in Hawaii.

Some magical uses of Peridot:

-Peridot has long been considered to be an aid to friendship and it supposedly frees the mind of envious thoughts.. It is also supposed to protect the wearer from the evil eye. Other legends credit peridot with bringing happiness and good cheer, attracting lovers, and strengthening the eyes.
- Pliny (23-79 C.E) wrote that peridot is dull during daylight hours but will glow like a hot coal by night.
- It is a wonderful stone to help someone who is going through depression. It is a stone of lightness that counters the effects of negative emotions. It has the ability to balance the process of emotional release and detoxifies negative emotions, bringing them to comfortable levels.
-Peridot fosters emotional balance, security, and inner peace. It soothes nervousness, heals emotional and physical pain, and lightens suffering. Because it is calming to the nervous system, peridot is also useful in promoting sleep
-Peridot opens, cleanses and activates the heart chakra, which can help one to release old baggage. Burdens, guilt and obsessions become cleared and a new psychological clarity and feeling of well-being begin. Peridot teaches that holding onto the past is counter productive
-The stone enhances confidence and assertion without aggression. It helps a person see their own light and recognize that they are deserving of love.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peridot
http://www.jewelsforme.com/peridot-meaning

Disa

Interesting. I've never been drawn to Peridot, either for my own personal use. I didn't find the color appealing, however I was looking for some stones to add to the jewelry I was making and ran across some tiny peridot ones. I was making it to sell, but once the earrings were done I began wearing them myself, just a month or 2 ago.

The interesting thing about your post is, I didn't bother looking up the properties before I decided to wear them, but many of them relate to things I was(am still) dealing with when I began wearing them. Cool.

So, I'm wondering if some of the properties are things you are also working on or struggling with? Is that why you were drawn to the stone? Maybe it's intimidating because it's bringing up things you are dealing with, as well?

Attachments

• ACS Peridot 1.jpg
    ACS Peridot 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 281

Falcor

I have a peridot ring, I was drawn to the stone and it's color before I even knew what it is. It feels soothing on my finger, soft and loving.

celticnoodle

I like the color of peridot--in the green coloring. I didn't know all this information about the crystal though, Hemera, so thank you for supplying it.

I was also going to mention the same that Disa did--that perhaps you are going through some of the things that this crystal is helpful for and it came into your life to help you through it. Isn't it lovely when things like this happen?

Disa, I love those earrings! I also found your post interesting too. You obviously did need the peridot too and you as well, Falcor.

It is one crystal I don't think I have in my collection. Though, I unfortunately also have many that I cannot identify. I have many green stones in my collection and no idea what most of them are. Green is my favorite color--in its wide variety of colors--the very light green, (which is what I've always seen in peridot jewelry I think) and the very heavy dark greens too. Now, I've got to go through my collection again and see if there are any I think could be peridot! :D

celticnoodle

just had to add this site that I just found after adding that above post when I googled for peridot.

http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/peridot.htm

interestingly enough, while it is indeed the birthstone for August, it is also considered the Zodiac stone for Libras! I happen to be a Libra. I will have to find a peridot piece of jewelry I think. :)

that site above further mentions this for Peridot.

Folklore, Legend, and Healing Properties:

It is thought to bring the wearer good luck, peace, and success,. Its powers include health, protection, and sleep. The advantages of peridot are to attract love and calm anger while also soothing nerves and dispelling negative emotions.
Sounds like a fantastic crystal to own and wear!

Disa

Thanks, CN.

I've always been drawn to rocks and crystals. But I've always wondered, are we just drawn to the color, or are we drawn to the properties? I don't "feel" anything when I pick up a stone and hold it by itself. But I do feel drawn to them, like a physical pulling which makes me pick it up? IDK how to explain it.

yannie

We are drawn to certain stones at certain times depending on our needs, I find.

For me, I'm drawn to their properties. I choose my stones blind - I close my eyes and feel them. They don't always look pretty, lol!

celticnoodle

Good question, Disa. I have to hold my stones and look at them before buying, though I have purchased some online, too. But then, I pick up stones while I'm out walking too, as they just feel like they need to be with me. I try to find the 'right' rock to bring home from every country I've ever visited too. I have quite the 'rock' collection! :laugh:

As for my 'crystal' rocks--the pretty colored ones...well, I think most of them do show up for us when we truly need them.

you know...only a few times in my life have I actually literally 'felt' something with a rock or a crystal. Once at a Spirit Expo, I was holding a crystal for sale to show to my sister. (with the permission of the seller). It wasn't huge--maybe the size of an American nickel. It was more round then flat though, and now, I can't recall what it was. I had my hand palm side up and stretched slightly out as the seller put it into the middle of my palm. All of a sudden, as I was explaining to my sister and few other people standing around about it, the thing began to move and it literally jumped right out of my hand and flew a few feet away! :bugeyed: I wanted to buy it, but I didn't have enough money and the seller wasn't able to take credit cards. so, I went home w/o it. sadly. :(

Hemera

Yes, I remember that story about the jumping crystal celticnoodle. It was amazing!
So, I'm wondering if some of the properties are things you are also working on or struggling with? Is that why you were drawn to the stone? Maybe it's intimidating because it's bringing up things you are dealing with, as well?
I was thinking the very same thing. I guess I´ll have to give that some thought.

I've always been drawn to rocks and crystals. But I've always wondered, are we just drawn to the color, or are we drawn to the properties?.
This is an interesting question. I´ve usually been drawn to crystals mainly by the color and I have almost always favoured blue ones (labradorite, howlite, aquamarine, sapphire..). This yellow green crystal is a very unlikely pick for me colorwise so there must be something else at play here.

Disa

Yes, I remember that story about the jumping crystal celticnoodle. It was amazing!I was thinking the very same thing. I guess I´ll have to give that some thought.

This is an interesting question. I´ve usually been drawn to crystals mainly by the color and I have almost always favoured blue ones (labradorite, howlite, aquamarine, sapphire..). This yellow green crystal is a very unlikely pick for me colorwise so there must be something else at play here.

Me, too. I love the blue ones-blue kyanite blades are so beautiful to me. I also love the black ones. Peridot is my niece's birthstone and the only reason I ever bothered to look at it. It's great to learn of it's useful properties.