Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

Debra

Thanks for the chigger tips, Floracove!

Peroxide--it's just water with an extra oxygen molecule (H2O2 instead of H20). Don't swallow it and be cautious about using it in the mouth, as it burns tissue (that's why it stings when you put it on a cut). I dilute it for disinfecting.

floracove

You are welcome Debra.

Silverlyn said:
Tea Tree Oil: GREAT for many things.

Oh my yes!

Unfortunately, down here is one of the worst places for head lice.
(Not being raised down here, I was 26 years old before I ever saw any of these bugger in the flesh.)

I went looking and found that the
http://headlice.org/

Recommends Tea Tree oil & Anise Oil as two of the best for killing lice and nits.
Anise is better for this than Tea Tree, but either will work.
They state I think 100% dead with Anise oil
80% dead with Tea Tree oil.

Lots of good info on that site.

mysticmanth

FaeryGodmother said:
So what are your Top 5 Home Remedies that actually work and that you use on a regular basis?

For me-
1- Red Wine Vinegar actually cures hair loss. Well at least it does/ did for me.

2- Sage really does clean and whiten teeth.

3- Thyme gargle actually does soothe a sore throat.

4- Chamomile tea really does help me get to sleep when I'm having trouble.

5- Garlic really does shorten the duration of a cold (and the length of time people want to hang around you :D)

How do you use the sage to get whiter teeth? x

Silverlyn

Yes, I too am very interested in exactly how to whiten teeth using natural products such as Peroxide or Sage.

Please someone detail these uses? :D

Seafra

Found this online:

1. Mash up a few strawberries and use the berries as a toothpaste. The citric acid in the strawberries will help to rid your teeth of plaque and impurities, and the salicylate content in strawberries has an antibacterial effect as well. You can do this about every other day, and you should see results in about two weeks or so.
2. Crushed walnut keeps your teeth from yellowing as well, and is a natural tooth cleanser. Eating walnuts a few times a week will also help to keep your breath fresh. You may want to eat a cup of walnuts after brushing with your strawberry paste for a winning smile-and a healthy snack.
3. Once you've finished eating an orange, take the inside of the peel and rub it across your teeth. If you do this every day, you should see a definite difference in your teeth in about a week.
4. You can also try brushing your teeth with sage, a seasoning you should be able to find at most grocery stores. Right after brushing, you'll notice that your teeth have a certain sparkle to them. It may be a good idea to alternate brushing with sage with brushing with strawberry paste.

In addition to these cheap, healthy ways to whiten your teeth, you can also use baking soda and table salt mixed together for a bacteria free mouth and sparking teeth. You can also mix baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and let the mixture sit on your teeth for a few seconds before brushing it off.

Also read that the inside of banana peels whiten teeth -- rub for two minutes before brushing.

Thanks to whomever started this teeth whitening thing. Gonna try these.

Silverlyn

Wow thanks for these natural whitening tips! I have such yellow teeth due to drinking coffee, etc.. and I need something that works fast, I'm gonna try the baking soda and salt combo as well as the baking soda and peroxide combo asap!:)

SherryZoned

Raspberry! The tea or I actually take the pills. This helps if you are female for all sorts of problems. What I use it for is for that special time of month where you are cramping. This takes away the cramps better then any pain reliever. Also I just heard on the news that if you are pregnant and take raspberry pills it helps with morning sickness (however check with your OB on that to make sure it is safe)

Red Emma

Home remedies

Uumm, as a dentist's wife, could I suggest that if you use salt and baking soda for teeth cleaning, don't forget to add something with flouride to keep them as cavity free as possible.

LeaRoseQuartz

Hi! I recently heard that fluoride is very bad for you. I couldn't remember where I heard it, so I looked it up on the search engine. I typed in "fluoride is bad for you" and found lots of sites about it. Some doctors even had a site. Fluoride is a toxic substance. I read that it actually causes teeth to erode and crumble. Also, it dosen"t prevent cavities, only brushing prevents them. There are non-fluoride toothpastes in stores, such as wal-mart. I"ve been using "Tom"s of Maine" for awhile. It works fine and has a nice peppermint taste. City and town water often has fluoride in it. Plus, so much other stuff. Our's also has lots of clorine in it. I buy bottled water. I give it to my cats, also. Tylenol, is bad for you, too. It causes liver damage and even more so, if you drink alcohol. I can"t believe there's a commercial on t.v. that say's to buy it and that it's made with love! How horrible! Companies don"t care what they are selling you. Just, so they get rich. Slowly, people are finding out that mass produced, so called safe products are actually very bad for you. Look at how they are taking trans-fat out of food. Also, monosodium glutomate is in alot of foods. It is a type of salt that is very eroding to arteries. I always check labels. Regular table salt isn't the same thing, but you should not use alot of it. Well, I could go on and on! Natural is the way to go, because we are natural!

LeaRoseQuartz

I wanted to add that gargling and rinsing out your mouth with salt won"t hurt you. It's actually good for it. You just shouldn"t use alot on your food.