Tarot in Fiction

Melisandre

There may already be a thread somewhere on this, but if there is, I'm not finding it :/

I don't think I've ever read a book before that involved tarot. And I *love* to read. Oddly enough, two of the books that have landed in my lap since I began reading cards a few months ago, have been tarot-related. I didn't seek them out or anything - just a display of synchronicity, I guess. One was a Christmas gift from someone who had no idea that I was interested in the subject, and the other was a recommendation from a friend who also was unaware of my interest.

I enjoyed both of these books and got to thinking about what other novels out there include tarot. I thought I would ask here and see if we could get a running list (sort of like the thread on tarot on television).

I'll start with my two, The Lady of the River by Phillippa Gregory and, obviously, The Night Circus by the uber talented Erin Morgenstern.

frac_ture

If you count graphic novels among the entries in your list, then there's a good thread going about one such work called Promethea that involves Tarot (along with some astrology, Tree of Life material, planetary correspondences, people who are known for their works in these fields, such as Crowley, Spare, Dee...) -- it's a fantastic read, and the thread can be found here ...

Angua

It's really not that involved in the story but tarot is mentioned a few times in Chocolat by joanne harris. It's a very good book anyway :D

gregory

Andromeda Klein. It's all about Tarot :)

There is Sepulchre. Kate Mosse. Don't bother. :(

Tarot also makes an appearance in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Richard

I love the novel Little, Big! A Tarot-type deck of cards is an important element in the plot.

Girl Archer

Did anyone else love Sherlock 'reading' Madame Simza's cards? temperance (was it reversed?), Two of Cups and the Devil if I remember right? Great piece of work there, actually warmed my friends to the possibility of tarot readings :)

Girl Archer

Also, two excellent Simpsons episodes, one with the Happy Squirrel and the other where Lisa has an actual reading done about her love life in the future? Absolutely lovely. Oh, and speaking of which Phoebe from Friends, I think, says in one episode that her reader said she would die that day but also win the lottery :)

bogiesan

Melisandre,
Thanks for starting the thread. The list of tarot in fiction is hopelessly out of date and difficult to find. You've added one title I was not familiar with.
Another discussion came up recently about the many tarot-themed fiction works for the Kindle and iPad. I downloaded ten or so samples from the iBook store and was dismayed by the terrible writing. Anyone, it seems, can publish an electronic book. Talent, skill, craft, vision, voice, even mastery of a simple sentence — these are no longer prerequisites. Explore and purchase e-books with care.

Laura Borealis

Bone Dance by Emma Bull. There are a couple tarot readings in the story, but also, the plot is structured around Celtic Cross spread. Chapter headings give short meanings of the cards. The reader, and her deck, are memorable! (She is a supporting character, not the protagonist.)

VGimlet

Alayna Williams Dark Oracle and Rogue Oracle. They are fun. There is a third one coming out. The writer obviously reads tarot. :D

Also a mystery series, I will add it to this post when I get to work, as I can't remember the author OR title...but I know where it is on the shelf at the library. I tried the first one, meh for me, but YMMV.