Evernote for Tarot journaling

Owl Song

Has anyone else used Evernote for Tarot journaling? I just started doing this and I love it. Evernote can be used across multiple devices, which is very handy. You can also have different "notebooks." I have one for daily draws and one for my current card by card study of "Joie de Vivre" Tarot. You can "tag" each specific notebook entry for quick searches and each entry has a heading, too. It's just amazing for organization and having everything in one place. You can also add pictures to your entries and there is a "Share" function, too.

Ace of Stars

I love it too!

I've been doing this for a while.

I use the Clearly extension to "grab" spreads from blogs I like; I keep these in a Tarot Spreads notebook. Then I can copy the spread note into my Tarot Journal, delete the extraneous stuff, and start doing my reading.

I also export readings I do with my apps (Galaxy Tone apps have an export to Evernote feature; it's awesome, if I do say so myself as one of the app creators) -- this way I can save readings across all my different apps (Galaxy Tarot, Tarot Illuminati, the Gypsy Palace Tarot, CBD TdM, Darkana) chronologically and in the same place.

I also take photos of the readings I do with my paper cards, and quickly attach them to my journal so I have an image of the cards I drew.

I also have notebooks for the books I'm working through -- like "21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card".

Some people think it's not sacred to be typing out our Tarot Journals, but I really love the efficiency, functionality, and ease. I can type fast, so can get my thoughts out a lot better when I'm typing. Plus, I like to be mobile! Besides, pen and paper is just another form of technology, after all :)

Owl Song

Oh, thanks for the additional tips! I forgot to mention that I also take pictures of my paper card readings and attach them, too. I didn't know about the Galaxy Tone app cross-functionality. I will look into that. I also like the idea of using it to create notebooks for books you're working through. I started one, too, on Quan Yin, a goddess that I've been working with lately for prayers, meditations, and thoughts.

I don't think there's anything less sacred about keeping an electronic Tarot or other spiritual journal. As you said, pen and paper is a technology, too -- it's just an older one. I think everyone should use the tools they're comfortable with. It's also true what you said about typing faster than you can write so you can cover more ground in a shorter time. It's terribly efficient. At the same time, if pen and paper works for someone, I think that's fine, too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

WolfyJames

I also use Evernote but for something else. I put there the meanings of the cards, and the meanings of the cards of the oracles I use, like the Petit Lenormand, so like that if I have a blank I can always look there. I also put there my favorite spreads. So like that if I go out elsewhere and need to read someone, like my mother at her place, I have my notes in my phone.

Nemia

I use Evernote extensively for Tarot. I have a Tarot notebook with sub-notebooks for elements, astrology, kabbalah, tarot card meanings, readings, Lenormand, tarot learning, spreads... all the topics that interest me... and I love the information which is organized so well. I re-format it and it's so much easier to read.

The sub-notebooks evolved over time, I started with one notebook but over time, I needed subcategories. I'm a neat freak I guess. Tagging makes it easier to access and find organization.

Looking for a new tarot deck, I keep collecting information, then let it "simmer" for a while, then read it - and it helps me decide whether I really need it or not.

Recording my spreads with picture in Evernote means that I can easily search when the Hierophant appeared for me. I'm really happy with Evernote, not only for Tarot uses.

danieljuk

I just started putting all my readings in my Evernote. I was using paper before and I am just getting cluttered by it! I love to record all my spreads and also readings for other people and take notes. I refer back to them later on! Moving from paper to digital in the last month has been easy and just record them all in there with a pic of the spread!

Someone on here (I forgot who) has a readings area, a notes area and they have a "note" on every single card, upright and reversed! they add to it constantly. It's an entire digital record :)

Finding it very easy to use so far!

Marirowana

Well, that's a great idea, thanks Starlily and the rest, for sharing your experience :)
I love writing with pen and paper, rather than typing. The wonderful thing about writing is that it is slow, which makes you get to the essence of the matter.

But the idea of attaching pictures so easily is very attractive. And... The wonderful thing about typing is that it's fast :D I'm going to give it a try!

danieljuk

I actually just drag the spread pictures into where I want them in the note text, on my laptop version of evernote. so simple!

also little trick Marirowana, you can have it in different places and it syncs, tablet and phones and computers. on the devices with a touchscreen it has a handwriting mode! so you can actually handwrite on your tarot records if you choose! :) I use that also to write little important reminder notes on my phone to access later :)

Marirowana

Thanks for the tip, the sunking is really useful! I'm still struggling with the handwriting though, it never turns out how I intended :D let's blame the sensitivity of the screen.

Edit: Ha, I wanted to write 'syncing', but I guess the sunking is very usefull as well, according to autocorrect ;)

Teheuti

If you want to handwrite first then you can always either take a photo of what you wrote or use the speech function and dictate your notes into Evernote.

Probably the most important thing about recording readings are the layers of understanding that are available if you record what you think it means and then append a couple of later layers where you note what actually happened and additional insights.