Cartomancer, upcoming magazine

cassildra

This looks cool, but depending on the length of each issue, $10 is pretty expensive! I kind of wish it were like, $8, with $6 subscription rate.

Then again, I don't know anything about other, similar publication rates. I'm just saying that for me, that cost is prohibitive :)

tarotbear

How many issues a year ?????

garmonbozia

Yikes, there is a shipping charge on top of the magazine price. $4 in the US.

Tarotbear, it says it's quarterly.

kalliope

This looks interesting, thanks for the link! I agree that $10 feels a little pricey on first glance, but I think it's difficult to finance and sustain publications like these. A lot of regular fashion-type magazines are $6.99 at the newsstand these days, and their circulation is huge in comparison and they have a lot of advertising revenue. Journals usually command a higher price, and The Cartomancer classifies itself as a journal.

To compare with another esoteric/divinatory publication, The Mountain Astrologer is $42 for 6 yearly issues under subscription ($7 each), and I think $8 or $9 on the newsstand. So with that in mind, $10 (or $8) per issue for a startup cartomantic journal seems pretty fair if the content is substantial and high quality. But $3.99 for shipping seems steep to me. I'll be interested in the electronic versions when available.

How many issues a year ?????

The website said it's a quarterly, so four, I imagine.

ETA: cross-posted with garmonbozia! :D

tarotbear

Tarotbear, it says it's quarterly.

I'm glad you people can see it; I've been through everything twice and find all sorts of info but nothing says 'Quarterly' at me! :p

$40 a year plus whatever is a lot of money to take a chance on ...

kalliope

Yeah, they don't put it in the obvious places, like in the subscription section, and they don't mention a number of issues. It's only mentioned in passing in the subheading & the header image:

"The Cartomancer: A Quarterly Tarot, Lenormand, & Oracle Journal"
"Welcome to the Quarterly Tarot, Lenormand, and Oracle Journal"

But man, it's very expensive for a year -- It's basically $48 in total! (I added the subscription to my cart.) :bugeyed:

Babalon Jones

I wonder how much content there will be, and if it will be scholarly, esoteric, or more "lite" reading.

Barleywine

By way of comparison, I got the Mountain Astrologer magazine for a couple of years. It's $42/year (unless it has gone up since), but it is also often over 100 pages of content and is highly-regarded as a valuable source of current astrological thought. For me, that would be the "gold standard" for this sort of endeavor.

kalliope

I wonder how much content there will be, and if it will be scholarly, esoteric, or more "lite" reading.

Yes, me too. "Journal" implies something more scholarly than an easy-breezy magazine, but it's hard to know if it's an accurate naming choice. I hope that once they've finalized the content they post the table of contents on the site so we can judge a little better. I'd like a nice mixture myself: in depth esoteric, scholarly, or historical articles balanced by an article on practical methods or techniques.

By way of comparison, I got the Mountain Astrologer magazine for a couple of years. It's $42/year (unless it has gone up since), but it is also often over 100 pages of content and is highly-regarded as a valuable source of current astrological thought. For me, that would be the "gold standard" for this sort of endeavor.

I made the same comparison! While I know what you mean about using it as a gold standard, I think the fact that we both thought of it kind of implies it's one of the only standards we've got going, heh. :laugh: