White Magic Five and Dime

AJ

Written by Steve Hockensmith with Lisa Falco as the tarot advisor.

Booklist says "a charming comic mystery"
I cracked a few smiles but not sure I'd call it comic, just saying.

The main character inherits the White Magic shop in Arizona after her estranged mother is murdered. Total surprise as the last time they'd seen each other the mother was teaching the daughter how to con Johns, this after a life time of living on the run, running multiple cons under multiple names.

The story picks up there, with much of the back story interwoven in the current murder mystery.
Lots of Tarot! I'd recommend it.

Hedera

Yes, I really liked it too!

A lot of tarot content used in a sensible manner and I liked the con-content of it as well. ;)
Not really that funny like you said, but well-written and a quick and engaging read - I rather liked the main character, too.

I hope there will be a sequel, I'd definitely buy it!

BodhiSeed

I recommended this last month for the library book club I attend, and everyone agreed to read it. I was happy to hear everyone enjoyed it; a light read with a bit of mystery with a few smiles tossed in along the way. What made me the happiest was to hear several people (who knew nothing much about tarot previously) say they now found it interesting instead of scary (how they previously viewed it). Yeah for more tarot converts! :laugh:

Ace

I just ordered it from the Library! I love Steve Hockensmith! His Holmes on the range series is great! Thanks for mentioning this book!
barb

AJ

I've finished the second book, good as the first, although I can't figure out how a $45,000 dollar inheritance and a business that apparently gets maybe one customer a day can support two people for long.
Fool Me Once is the title
This book covers Wands and one of the funniest (but true) parts are the chapter beginnings where an interpretation for the card is given

Ace

I got a new meaning for the 8 of pentacles and a blog entry from the first book. Nothing great, but fun and pretty good tarot too.

Maybe $45,000 went farther in those days.
barb

BodhiSeed

I've finished the second book, good as the first, although I can't figure out how a $45,000 dollar inheritance and a business that apparently gets maybe one customer a day can support two people for long.
Fool Me Once is the title
This book covers Wands and one of the funniest (but true) parts are the chapter beginnings where an interpretation for the card is given

I just finished the second book too and enjoyed it, but I was wondering the same thing about how she's making a living.:laugh: I suppose book three might explain it if there is one...

Ace

I just finished the second book too and enjoyed it, but I was wondering the same thing about how she's making a living.:laugh: I suppose book three might explain it if there is one...

At 3% they could get $13500 a year. They could live comfortably on $1000 a month in those days I think.
barb