Reversed Knight of Cups (work context)?

barefootlife

It wasn't my intent to offend your sensitivities. At the same time, please do not take the liberty to imply I am attempting to categorize or stigmatize or indicate anything about anyone's life. I am only describing a card in the tarot, and there is nothing personal in that, so please don't take it personally. The example I used here was in response to a request for an example. This is an educational forum, and censoring of information undermines that learning process. I am quoting Aleister Crowley in using the term "schizophrenia." I believe he is a respectable and quotable source for understanding the meaning of the Knight of Cups in the tarot.

I'm not trying to undermine Crowley or his understanding of the tarot. But his writing is a product of its time and things like mental illness were understood very differently. As modern readers it's our obligation to recontextualize that language.

In any case, this isn't the right place to discuss it, so I'm bowing out.

wheelie

Hi Wheelie...I empathisize with your position here. Let me just say this. If you have encountered this gentleman, there is no way on earth that you will not get hooked, so you might as well go for it because it will be an experience of a lifetime for you. These dudes will change your life forever...but be prepared to have your heart broken. And if you are lucky, as I was, you will have their friendship. That is all they are really capable of you see. The first thing you can expect is to be put on a pedestal...just remember that means you are not "real" to them, nor are they looking for "real."

As a Cups-type person (Knight/King), I'm pretty much guilty as charged. However...

Dreamer...but I have a day job.
Alcoholic...but I have not had a drink since 1991.
Put my wife on a pedestal...but have also lived with her faithfully everyday since 2002.
Not real...but do more than just magic tricks all the time.
See patterns, connect unconnected things...but not diagnosed as schitzophrenic.

For the Knight of Cups in relation to work, I just see idealism and adventure, a passionate quest. Rx: this meaning is opposed, blocked, or restricted.

Ruby Jewel

I'm not trying to undermine Crowley or his understanding of the tarot. But his writing is a product of its time and things like mental illness were understood very differently. As modern readers it's our obligation to recontextualize that language.

In any case, this isn't the right place to discuss it, so I'm bowing out.

IMO this is the perfect place to discuss it. As a learning forum, I don't feel it is necessary to cater to ignorance. Research is an important aspect of any educational process. If someone is going to read the cards, they need to understand them in all their implications and just what those implications mean in terms of psychology as well as mysticism. A lot of very intelligent people are on this forum. I don't believe Crowley is an anachronism by any means.

I hope you change your mind about bowing out. The world needs all kinds of people, and this is a world-wide forum. Stay and learn with all of us. I have no doubt you expressed the feelings of a lot of other people here, so you are not alone. It takes someone to challenge any theory in order to find the path through. I am not offended by our differing opinions. It is all good.

Ruby Jewel

As a Cups-type person (Knight/King), I'm pretty much guilty as charged. However...

Put my wife on a pedestal...but have also lived with her faithfully everyday since 2002.

For the Knight of Cups in relation to work, I just see idealism and adventure, a passionate quest. Rx: this meaning is opposed, blocked, or restricted.

Congratulations on making a good life for yourself, and in particular on your ability to stay on the wagon.....cudos to you, BIG TIME. Your wife is a lucky woman to have you in her world. Sometimes that is all it takes....just someone to hold the other end of the rope for you, and not let go.

Midsummereve

But here's the important thing about *this* Knight/Cups rx: court cards don't always stand for people. This is the outcome card, and I would read it as saying that the "romance" of the job for you will be turned upside-down. That, essentially, YOU are the knight/cups, coming into this job on a mission, all faith and optimism like one of Arthur's knights after the grail. And like many of those knights, the hardships you'll face might disillusion you. Turn you very quickly cynical. And, yes, that might involve the ungallant, lying and cheating you might witness or run into.

The universe's advice...talk to the boss (or whoever is in charge). Because that person can give you a realistic perspective and keep you on your horse, moving forward. :)

Thirteen, yes, the Knight here is definitely me. I am an idealist when it comes to work, I work in the service of others (psychology) and am fueled by this type of work. I can totally see (have already started to see actually) how I might become disillusioned with my job. Working in an all female environment (my boss is female too) probably will not help. It's a beautiful thing to be warned in advance, so I'll try and mitigate my disappointment and will definitely try to build a strong rapport with my new boss :) Thank you for your sensitive analysis here...

Midsummereve

Passionate quest sounds like this Knight (me) is all about... My passion is already getting stifled though (my getting on training courses is being delayed...)

Midsummereve

In any case, re: your reading, I would say that the KoC reversed means that your idealism (pretty normal going into a new job) is going to get rained on a bit by things like office politics and the usual weird tensions that happen in any workplace. No workplace in the history of the universe has been the wonderful place that it's sold as in the interview process. Be mindful of who you get involved with or you might find yourself in the middle of someone else's very feisty and possibly petty or imagined drama. The Emperor says to make rules for yourself and stick to them, to create or take advantage of structure within your job or create your own structures that will benefit you. You have the opportunity to carve out a place for yourself within this company, and perhaps someone up at the top to support you in doing so. Avoid whiners, water cooler gossipers, drama llamas, and people who don't take responsibility for their own work, and you'll make it just fine.

I loved the "drama llamas". I am definitely going to do my best to stay out of trouble and will try and position myself so that I may be promoted. Structure reminds me of Saturn who is ruling my sky (I'm a Sag) until December this year. So much has been reorganized in my life in the past few months, but at a pace that I can take, and all these changes have been much needed and welcome.