Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

The Black Light BOTA

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Deck Creation


 
agviz's Avatar
agviz  agviz is offline
Future Fella
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2012
Location: US
Posts: 850
agviz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam O View Post
Isn't the BOTA copyright expired? Have you asked the BOTA group that sells the cards in black and white? I thought the expired copyright was the whole reason they could offer up those cards?
Oh...you may have a point there. I admit I was just assuming that.
Top   #41
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 

Do you know about Carol Herzer's Illuminated Tarot decks where she illustrates the RWS line drawings that are no longer under copyright?

http://www.soul-guidance.com/tarotdecks/page_7.htm
Top   #42
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam O View Post
Do you know about Carol Herzer's Illuminated Tarot decks where she illustrates the RWS line drawings that are no longer under copyright?

http://www.soul-guidance.com/tarotdecks/page_7.htm
Oh - but they ARE under copyright. She redrew them herself to deal with that.
Top   #43
agviz's Avatar
agviz  agviz is offline
Future Fella
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2012
Location: US
Posts: 850
agviz 

I have Carol's Starlight Illuminated (pocket size with glitter). I'll take this opportunity to say I love Carol's work and she's truly a great asset to tarot. There, I've said it.
Top   #44
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agviz View Post
I have Carol's Starlight Illuminated (pocket size with glitter). I'll take this opportunity to say I love Carol's work and she's truly a great asset to tarot. There, I've said it.
I too am totally grateful to be lucky enough to have her hand painted decks.

Did you see this part on her site?

"No more custom orders for glitter and iridescent decks..." She celebrates her 70th birthday this month and she is setting new parameters for her custom made decks!
She "may continue to make glitter and hand painted iridescent decks, but only as I am inspired to do so, and have time for it."

Carol Herzer is a great one to ponder as you consider bringing your very special deck out to us enthusiasts....
Top   #45
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Oh - but they ARE under copyright. She redrew them herself to deal with that.
US Games claims a copyright on everything EXCEPT for the actual RWS images. Essentially this means their designs on the back of the deck and the box.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/fa...games1971cnote

Q. What is the US copyright status of a work published in 1909?

A. Any work published prior to 1922, regardless of the country of publication, the citizenship of the author, whether it was registered or not, is in the public domain in the United States. No further copyright claims can be made on that work, and any attempt to prosecute someone for use of that work would be thrown out of a copyright court.
Top   #46
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 

More info from Carol's site:
"Among other things he sent me a black and white majors set of the RWS deck, a copy used in Europe for students of tarot to work with. I made two paintings of each of the majors. the turned out very well, and so I decided to go on and complete the entire 78 card deck"

http://www.soul-guidance.com/tarotdecks/page_28.htm
Top   #47
goldenquince's Avatar
goldenquince  goldenquince is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Nov 2014
Location: Neverland
Posts: 45
goldenquince 

Those are beautiful; I especially love how you colored the page of pentacles with the coin illuminated and the light reflecting off of the body--job well done. This is a pretty ingenious idea too...I know I'm kind of late with the compliment, but there you go.
Top   #48
agviz's Avatar
agviz  agviz is offline
Future Fella
 
Join Date: 27 Oct 2012
Location: US
Posts: 850
agviz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam O View Post
I too am totally grateful to be lucky enough to have her hand painted decks.

Did you see this part on her site?

"No more custom orders for glitter and iridescent decks..." She celebrates her 70th birthday this month and she is setting new parameters for her custom made decks!
She "may continue to make glitter and hand painted iridescent decks, but only as I am inspired to do so, and have time for it."

Carol Herzer is a great one to ponder as you consider bringing your very special deck out to us enthusiasts....
I just recently got Carol's deck and noticed immediately afterwards that the glitter decks were no longer available. I might be the last, or one of the last, to get one. I feel very privileged to have it and it's very special to me. And yes, Carol is an inspiration and a grand one at that.

Thanks for that copyright info. That's very insightful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenquince View Post
Those are beautiful; I especially love how you colored the page of pentacles with the coin illuminated and the light reflecting off of the body--job well done. This is a pretty ingenious idea too...I know I'm kind of late with the compliment, but there you go.
Comments like yours are very encouraging, so thank you!
Top   #49
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam O View Post
US Games claims a copyright on everything EXCEPT for the actual RWS images. Essentially this means their designs on the back of the deck and the box.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/fa...games1971cnote

Q. What is the US copyright status of a work published in 1909?

A. Any work published prior to 1922, regardless of the country of publication, the citizenship of the author, whether it was registered or not, is in the public domain in the United States. No further copyright claims can be made on that work, and any attempt to prosecute someone for use of that work would be thrown out of a copyright court.
Well, yes, But have a word with tarotbear, who would have had to pay USG a small fortune to use the images in a REPRINT of his existing book with just the b/w images in. USG take the view that the images ARE under their copyright. And whether or not they would win in court - TB says that they DO start legal action - that costs, whoever wins. There's a thread, but I have a ferry to catch.
Top   #50




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.