New Alice Tarot Deck from Baba Studios!!!

ILuvEire

Can I give their publisher a big hug? God, I'm so excited!

My boyfriend's favorite book is Alice in Wonderland, and I've been looking for a copy of the old Alice deck that was under $100 for ages, instead I get to get this 'un! As soon as they start taking pre-orders, I'll be right there ;)

Aura Wolf

Just got the newsletter. This project is perfect for them. We need a new Alice tarot, pronto. Eagerly awaiting images.

FaireMaiden

ILuvEire said:
Can I give their publisher a big hug? God, I'm so excited!

My boyfriend's favorite book is Alice in Wonderland, and I've been looking for a copy of the old Alice deck that was under $100 for ages, instead I get to get this 'un! As soon as they start taking pre-orders, I'll be right there ;)
Alex and Karen (Baba Studio) publish their decks thru their own publishing company, MRP (Magic Realist Press), *s*

Essjay

This is such wonderful news. I was a bit worried that Karen and Alex had found doing the Bohemian Gothic so arduous (alongside the cost of printing) that it had put them off doing another. I'm so pleased that they're doing this and enjoying the process. Not too long to wait until the January Newsletter to see some pictures.

Yay!

:)

baba-prague

Just to say thank-you, and that yes, we are finding the work quite a thrill - which is interesting, as I think if we'd tried to start a deck any earlier than this it would have felt like a chore. Now working on it feels like a huge treat.

It will be an adult Alice, and quite dark. Also definitely surreal and a long way from Disney.

Pictures in January all being well. Right now all we have is pencil sketches and some extremely early roughs. This time I'm going to keep some of these to go into the book I think - normally we throw out the early work and yet I think it can be an interesting insight into the whole process.

Diorbhail

Another Baba Deck! Hooray! :party:

I've just told the cat! Had to tell someone. Don't think waking the daughter who's sleeping off the night before would be a terribly good idea......

olivia1

karen0205 said:
I just got this posting from Baba Studios:
Thanks for sharing, Karen0205. I look forward to seeing the sketches and learning more about this deck and its concept. Will it be as complex as the Fairytale Tarot but based on Alice and Wonderland? Will it have the card stock of the Bohemian Gothic (which I have heard so many great things about)?

Sulis

Moderator note

2 threads about the this deck have been merged.

Sulis - Tarot Decks co-moderator

baba-prague

olivia1 said:
Thanks for sharing, Karen0205. I look forward to seeing the sketches and learning more about this deck and its concept. Will it be as complex as the Fairytale Tarot but based on Alice and Wonderland? Will it have the card stock of the Bohemian Gothic (which I have heard so many great things about)? That kind of thing.

It's really too early to say anything about cardstock or any physical details like that. We'll let you know as and when these details emerge - but that may be months off I'm afraid. We have discussed book and box though - and decided that we need a full companion book for this one as there is a lot to say and also a lot to show.

One of our issues with an Alice tarot was actually not making it too complex. I did discuss the idea with a writer here on AT some years back (three maybe?) and at the time I thought it couldn't be done because reading with it would require too much detailed knowledge of the books - which in fact many people don't have.

We now think we've found a way of making it work without reference to the more obscure details of the stories - but this means that the RWS structure will be very, very loose. I mean, the Three of Swords won't be a happy card, and the Nine of Cups won't be a sad one, so it will be easy to read as a straight RWS if that's what people want to do. But basically, the need for the deck to be true to Alice will take precidence over the need for it to be true to RWS.

That's what I had to "crack" before it all fell into place. And somehow I couldn't see it until very recently. Then it was extraordinary - I just wrote down about fifty cards in an afternoon and it all seemed quite obvious. The only thing now, cough, is to actually produce the images.