Storing decks in bags

herself

This may seem like an odd little question, but those of you who store your decks in bags, do you keep them in their boxes, in the bags? Or just straight cards in the bag?

The box in bag option seems like overkill, I know, but over the past few years I've had several decks get a little curve to them when I keep them sans- box, whereas decks that have been stored in the box all stay nice and straight.

I don't think it's a moisture (or environmental) problem as not all of my bagged decks curve... just wondering :D

Water Lady

I do keep some in bags, but then they are in a box I bought at Michaels and painted putting a owl on the cover...so bags are flat, maybe that is a key?
I don't know why they would curl unless they were not flat or there was excess moisture, like in the south

CrystalSun

The box in the bag sounds better. When I bought my first tarot deck didn't have any box (I know it's odd) and in less than a year my deck looked vandalized. So box in bag or wood box.

Cocobird55

I take my decks out of the boxes before I put them in bags.

Sulis

I don't use the box if a deck is in a bag and all my reading decks have been in bags for years and years.. They're fine without the boxes.. I think it's a good idea to get a good quality, lined bag though for added protection.

jolie_amethyst

My only curved deck came to me stored in the original box. I don't think it's the bags causing it; some cardstock may be more prone to curving (and obviously, some shuffling methods can really affect that!)

Most of my decks so far didn't come with small tuck boxes, and I bag my decks because it's more convenient to get them in or out of than most original boxes. So, no, I don't go the overkill route, as it would negate the whole point for me in bagging them in the first place.

cSpaceDiva

Decks that I use frequently or decks that didn't come with a small tuck box I keep in just the bags--no box. Decks that I take out to look at once in a while and I have a bag that is right for that deck, I keep in the box, in a bag. I haven't noticed that one or the other method tends to curl the deck. Sometimes they do still have a curl even when kept in the box.

Glennmaicha

I keep all of my decks in simple, patterned cloth drawstring bags, and store them on a flat surface, like a shelf, away from heat and bright sunlight. I haven't noticed any issues with deterioration of the cards yet.

The deck that I find myself using most frequently goes into a higher-quality, lined drawstring pouch that provides better protection for traveling and being kept in my bag. Again, no issues.

Other than good lining and secure closure, something very important to consider is the size of the bag. If it's too small and the deck needs to be coerced into its pouch, warping may occur. A bag that's too large will allow the cards to move around inside of the bag, creating an irregularly stacked deck that might be more prone to bending of the corners if it's being carried around in a purse, bag, etc.

If a deck comes with a tuck box or other form of storage that can be doubled with the bag, it's never really a bad idea to use it, so it's a personal choice, really. :)

Inchantress

I've been looking for chest that's large enough to store several bagged decks in. It seems a lot of the boxes tend to wear quickly if you're using the deck regularly - so they usually leave their boxes fairly quickly. They are currently all stored in a large plastic bin I got from the dollar store and mostly bagged in any and all manor of bags I could wrangle up... newer decks that haven't found homes are floating around in there in boxes and otherwise they're in scarves, handkerchiefs, organza mesh drawstring bags, makeup bags, and a couple of old drawstring bags from Sephora. Makeup bags may or may not be mystical enough looking for your tastes, but I just so happened to have a bunch of them so it worked out. Have tried using scarves exclusively but it ended up getting too bulky, may decide to switch it up at some point as the collection keeps growing but for now I'm hoping the right pretty box or chest will do the trick. So if anyone has suggestions for good options there holla!!! ;)

Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on storing decks together vs. storing them alone as well.

gregory

Yes and no })

If the bagged deck will FIT in the box, it goes in. But most of my bagged decks are ones that came with no box. And I have quite a few. So one thing I DO do is attach a little card tag to each drawstring, with the name of the deck. Because very many of my bagged decks are in dollar store bags and many are the same as many others, so if I don't do that - how can I tell which is which ? :D