Inner Child Cards: OMG

kimtsan

I trimmed the white borders off and it looks better and is easier to handle.

I like the deck (bought it when it came out) although the Santa Claus card is horrible - that hand! The winged hearts suit is lovely, the suit borders are beautiful. I embroidered a bag with the suit symbols, on silk I stained myself.

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/...cards trimmed/P1110007640x480_zps34b266ff.jpg

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/...cards trimmed/P1110007640x480_zps34b266ff.jpg

Yes, it is probably underrated because this deck is definitely child-compatible. Which is IMO a good thing and doesn't necessarily make a deck shallow or childish. The archetypes in tarot and fairy tales don't always give a close fit but they are interesting nevertheless.

I told in another thread around here that I used to give the cards to one of my daughters when she was angry or upset. I let her pick one that she liked especially and then we talked about the card and somehow her anger melted away.

Her all time favorite was the World card. It is one of the most beautiful World cards I know.

The cards look so good! How do you trim it? Just with a pair of scissors? I might trim the edges off as well.

And I think it's a wonderful thing you're doing with your daughter. I don't have children right now, but I've been thinking about how I am going to involve my future children (if I have any) with tarot cards. Now I have some ideas. :)

I just looked up the Earth Child/World card. It's breathtaking!!!

Chronata

This is truly one of my favorite decks, and I always forget that I own it.

It sits in a big box on the bottom of the stacks (because Gravity) and every time I remember I have it, I lovingly pull it out and do enormously cheerful and positive readings with it.

It's so colorful, whimsical and happy.

And then I go back to my life, and forget about it.

I really should read with it more often.

greatdane

I know there were a couple editions....

I had a very BRIGHT one, whichever one that was. It was very visually-pleasing, but not the easiest deck to handle so I see why many trimmed theirs. It does make an impact.

kimtsan

This is truly one of my favorite decks, and I always forget that I own it.

It sits in a big box on the bottom of the stacks (because Gravity) and every time I remember I have it, I lovingly pull it out and do enormously cheerful and positive readings with it.

It's so colorful, whimsical and happy.

And then I go back to my life, and forget about it.

I really should read with it more often.

I can't wait to get it!! :D I keep googling it haha.

Nemia

I trimmed the deck with two pairs of scissors: long, sharp paper scissors for the straight lines. And since the corners were too wide for my corner cutter, I cut them off with a pair of nail scissors. It took some time, I needed good lighting and a comfortable table to put my elbows on, but I'm no perfectionist and the result looks fine to me.

Yes, children love these cards. I imagine you can use the Death card to answer children's questions about death. It's not a shallow deck.

I remember now that I was once asked to organize a group activity for art teachers who were starting a course of art therapeutic tools - and I used the Inner Child cards. It's many years ago and I don't remember details but it was a good activity. People opened up.

The book is nice, too, although I always find that I have to approach the images first, look at the cards and listen to them - and only then read the book.

kimtsan

I trimmed the deck with two pairs of scissors: long, sharp paper scissors for the straight lines. And since the corners were too wide for my corner cutter, I cut them off with a pair of nail scissors. It took some time, I needed good lighting and a comfortable table to put my elbows on, but I'm no perfectionist and the result looks fine to me.

Yes, children love these cards. I imagine you can use the Death card to answer children's questions about death. It's not a shallow deck.

I remember now that I was once asked to organize a group activity for art teachers who were starting a course of art therapeutic tools - and I used the Inner Child cards. It's many years ago and I don't remember details but it was a good activity. People opened up.

The book is nice, too, although I always find that I have to approach the images first, look at the cards and listen to them - and only then read the book.

I do the same thing! I used to rely on the text a lot when I first started, but increasingly I found that my intuition flowed better when I connect with the image first, and like you said, listen to the cards--and then I contextualize that message within the definition of the card itself or refer to the guidebook of that particular deck. If it's a new deck, though, I look at the guidebook first so I can have a general idea of what the artist's reinterpretation is to make sure I'm not enforcing an inappropriate definition unto the cards.

Labour Day is finally over. Now waiting for the delivery!! Bad time to order a deck of cards you really want over the holidays. :p

kimtsan

I JUST GOT THE DECK TODAY!! And it looks amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. Can't wait to work with the cards.

EmpressArwen

Hooray! Have fun!

Nemia

I remember that these cards also had a very good smell when they were new, as opposed to some others I might mention.... and they are nice to handle in spite of their size (even trimmed). I shuffle them on the table like children do, it doesn't disturb me.

MoonGypsy

i used to have this beautiful deck, [ years ago] which came with a green gold stamped hard bound book. The deck that i had [huge, yes] was uber glossy thickly laminated plastiky cardstock which is the main reason i sold or traded it.
i am wanting to get this deck again. i have heard that the newer editions have a matte cardstock. Is that true? i hope, i hope? :)