People scared of tarot.

Holland

I am so curious to what all of you will say to this topic. I was thinking about it and figured "hey why not post this topic." So here I go....
Okay, I LOVE tarot, we all do! But once in awhile we all stumble on a negative reading, or some psychological mind game that can be intimidating whatever the case maybe. Granted that experience may not apply to all.
I have met some readers who had a bad experience and will STAY AWAY and just get anxiety from their cards. My words of comfort could not help out. Won't go further into detail as to keep their stories confidential.
Who here has had that experience and what did you do to over come your experience? What was your advice to your friend? Or what did you do to help yourself?
I look forward to your replies. Blessings

Unicorn Bacon

Something that has helped me was to stop looking for patterns, if I get obsessive over a reading (or something in general). Our brains seem to be hard-wired to look for patterns in things unlikable, so we can avoid it (sometimes prematurely or irrationally) later. Given that, our own neurology can be difficult to dominate. But exercising that kind of willpower can be empowering. If I'm going to be afraid of something, it's because *I* have decided to be afraid and have some sort of boundary about it, and not be controlled over (or at least minimize) primordial neurology

Holland

Something that has helped me was to stop looking for patterns, if I get obsessive over a reading (or something in general). Our brains seem to be hard-wired to look for patterns in things unlikable, so we can avoid it (sometimes prematurely or irrationally) later. Given that, our own neurology can be difficult to dominate. But exercising that kind of willpower can be empowering. If I'm going to be afraid of something, it's because *I* have decided to be afraid and have some sort of boundary about it, and not be controlled over (or at least minimize) primordial neurology

First off....HA! LOVE YOUR SCREEN NAME!! Oh my gosh, I had to share your screen name to my husband just now. Got a good laugh!
You present an excellent point!! Thank you for your point of view.

Grizabella

What I'm seeing is that people who have the mistaken idea about what the cards are, what makes them work, or are scared of them thinking they have a spirit---or all the above---are the ones who have the weird experiences. They think it's the cards but it's not the cards. It's what they've come to believe because of bad movies and incorrect warnings from some of the more fanatical Christian people. Your subconscious is a very complex and mysterious thing. Let me give you an example or two.

In early sobriety, I sponsored women as a means of staying sober. I've learned lots of surprising things in the past years. One girl was on crutches. She said she'd been kicked out where she was living, etc. I had her under my wing and one day after a meeting we were going to have lunch in a restaurant. Well, we got sat down and this girl fell out on the floor in a grand mal seizure. The waitress, (this was in mini-skirt days) immediately bent down and tried to put something in the girl"s mouth (never, ever do that) and her jaw locked up on the woman's fingers. So here was this waitress bent over, her mini skirt not covering up whatever she had on under it, her legs straight with the pain and that lovely view was what a man in the booth ahead of us saw when he turned his head to see what the commotion was.

Okay, I'd had training what to do with seizure patients when I worked in a place where it was common. You don't touch the person because the electrical activity that's raging out of control in the patients brain is stimulated by that and they get worse or stay in the seizing condition. If a seizure continues beyond 3 minutes, that's called status epelepticus and is life threatening. I had called an ambulance because it had been three mintues and she didn't stop. The waitress disappeared, nursing her hand, the man who had gotten introduced to the waitress was staring. The paramedics got there, she stopped seizing, and they picked her up to carry her out the door. There were two sets of doors, the one outside, then a little foyer and another door into the restaurant. The medics were carrying her out, but she started to seize just as they got into the foyer and they rushed back into the restaurant. They just get in when she stops again. The medics take off to go load her into the ambulance, but once again, here they had to come back in. This happened three times. It was like keystone cops. So I follow the ambulance to the hospital ER, wait till the doctor comes out after examining her, and he says, "She wasn't having a seizure." Twilight Zone sets in---I said, "yes, she was seizing. I have training and I know." He said no she wasn't. That these were called hysterical seizures. With a real seizure, the person always loses control of their bladder during it and I thought "oh yeah, I did think that was odd." SO! Now there's a dilemma for me. I have four kids at home, I'm trying to go to school, work full time, and stay sober in the process. This girl is very seriously disturbed and he comes out from seeing her again and says "she says she lives with you and wants to go home now". I said, "uhhhh no, she doesn't live with me and I can't take her home with me. I told him sorry, but I didn't really even know her except from AA. So then I beat feet out of the hospital but I forgot there was a trench dug for some kind of thing across the yard of the hospital and it was pouring down rain. I was in such a hurry to get out of there so they wouldn't let her out before I could make my exit stage left, I slipped and fell down in that soppy, muddy trench, and by the time I crawl out, no dignity left and not a clean or dry inch of me, and with my hair piece (the curls were in style then) my hairpiece flopped down over my eyes, there's a bus full of people in the street gawking, probably thinking I'm some drunk that fell in the ditch. I always enter things with the best of intentions but something goes awry and I never feel very heroic in the end or looking it either. :p

Okay, now that's an illustration of what a person's mind can do to them. Her, I mean---not me, although I was wondering about that at the time while I was slithering out of the ditch. She was really seizing but it was a mental problem and she went on to end up in the state hospital, incontinent by then---and I do have compassion for her, but all this is just to say that sometimes your subconscious mind can sabotage you without you knowing it. Please don't take this as me being mean---give me the fact I wasn't sober a very long time---but when I heard she was in the state hospital unable to walk and incontinent, the thought flashed through my mind "why couldn't she have just pee'd and I'd not have had to wallow in a muddy ditch in the rain?" When an alcoholic is in the early years of sobriety they don't have a lot of self-esteem, so I went home that night much the worse for the wear.

EmpressArwen

First off....HA! LOVE YOUR SCREEN NAME!! Oh my gosh, I had to share your screen name to my husband just now. Got a good laugh!
You present an excellent point!! Thank you for your point of view.

Me too! I laughed and thought "well that is the best screen name....ever!"

Water Lady

Good grief, Griza........I have to find a way to get a notice when you comment. you are just too funny....

but back to readings, so now I have to worry about my subconscious getting in the way of a reading??

I know a lot of extremely religious people who I would never tell I read tarot or oracle cards, they would be praying for me to be released from the devil. their fear of life strangles their living.

moon_light

Well, someone I know was worried that the devil would make me commit suicide when she found out I read cards... But that's her misconception. Never been less suicidal in my life since I started reading cards.

nisaba

I think Grizabella's wonderful story (can't you just see it all happening in front of you?) serves to illustrate the point that negativity doesn't originate with a deck of cards, it originates in people's minds. And if unpleasant stuff (like seizures or falling in waterfilled ditches) happens as a result of mental negativity, it is still due to the person's feelings, not an external object like a deck of cards.

Okay, if we're talking Christians, think of this.

For centuries, you weren't considered a good Christian if you didn't do your duty, get on your horse, go to foreign parts and go kill as many non-Christians as you could. It was "noble", it gave you brownie-points with the Christian god as he was understood at that time.

How is that even remotely dissimilar to the ratbag element of Islam believing they should go out and kill non-Muslims? And even the Islamic world generally regards them as ratbags and extremists - the Christian world regarded it as mainstream. Negativity is about people, not objects.

SunChariot

I am so curious to what all of you will say to this topic. I was thinking about it and figured "hey why not post this topic." So here I go....
Okay, I LOVE tarot, we all do! But once in awhile we all stumble on a negative reading, or some psychological mind game that can be intimidating whatever the case maybe. Granted that experience may not apply to all.
I have met some readers who had a bad experience and will STAY AWAY and just get anxiety from their cards. My words of comfort could not help out. Won't go further into detail as to keep their stories confidential.
Who here has had that experience and what did you do to over come your experience? What was your advice to your friend? Or what did you do to help yourself?
I look forward to your replies. Blessings

That only happened to me once. LOL

My very first reading ever or all time. I had no real idea what I was doing yet or of the actual card meanings. And wouldn't you know, Death came up. And I was scared stupid that someone was going to die and I did not want to know more or ever touch those cards ever again. Seriously scared.

I had the presence of mind to write down which cards have come up in which positions right before I put the cards away. I keep trying to make myself take them out again but it literally took me over a week to work up the courage. if someone was going to die I did not want to know about it.

Finally, after over a week, I made myself take out the cards again...put them back in the positions they have landed in, and actually LOOK UP what they meant. And as you all know, Death had nothing at all to do with Death. And the reading was not at all all that bad.

I was never afraid again as I started reading tons of Tarot books after and I figured out fast that if you don't like what comes up in the cards, talking with them some more is the best way to fix it. There is no better way to feel better about things. You can ask the cards directly to tell you something that will make you feel better, Or how to change the situation. Or what good will come of it....etc, Whatever you need to feel better, the cards are the best way to find it, imo,

Babs

Morwenna

I'm scared in general these last few years, and it may be just my age showing. So I never get, or give myself, predictive readings anymore, only analytical ones. And I don't do that very often either. I certainly avoid one-card draws, and have for several years! So no, I haven't gotten over this and I doubt I ever will. It's just not worth the stress.